What's new

Hayward & Jazz - not close to agreement (Hayward leaving 4/40 on the table)

If Hayward is asking for $13 million a year, I hope some other team gives it to him. For $12 it would be tough, but I think the Jazz should pull the trigger. Still I like that the Jazz are trying to be financially sound and flexible.

Per ESPN, Jazz offered $50M but wouldn't move past that number.

Wow. If that's true, Gordo and his agent need to put down the bubbler. Well played by Lindsey. Hayward thinks very, very highly of himself.

If he didn't take 12.5 million a year he is out of his ****ing mind. If that's true I'm not sure I want the Jazz to get him back.

In what universe is $10/year (basement) 4th option money?
Only to a fan of Hayward and not the team. This guy is butt hurt because his boy was not given the keys to the house and only sees it from a Hayward fan boy's POV. The team did the right thing here. Hayward (and Uflyer) have a serious overinflated sense of his worth. Could Hayward prove to be worth more than 10M a year? Maybe. Could his restricted FA and the Jazz's perceived value of him hurt his offers this off seasons? Likely.
If teams believe the Jazz will match most offers they will be less likely to give him offers. I don't believe the view around the league is that he is anywhere near as good as Paul George. Therefore I doubt he gets much more than the Jazz offered, unless he blows up. If he does that then maybe he is worth it anyway. But right now, the Jazz made an offer that I feel was overpaying him, if just slightly. If he wants to take the risk then so be it.
I did not see until after posting this that they may have offered more than the 4/40. If Hayward turned down any offer higher than that, I really think he has a serious over inflated sense of worth.

Last edited:
4th option

In what universe is $10/year (basement) 4th option money?
Players who make $9.5-10.5 MM

Tim Duncan (18 PPG)
Danilo Gallinari (16 PPG)
Gerald Wallace (8 PPG, 15 PPG in 2011 season)
Stephen Jackson (6 PPG, 18 PPG in 2011 season)
Tiago Splitter (10 PPG)
Stephen Curry (24 PPG)
Jrue Holiday (18 PPG)
DeMar DeRozan (18 PPG)
Paul Millsap (15 PPG)

There are outliers here (some underpaid first/ second options (Steph, Jrue, others overpaid aging vets (Wallace, Jackson)), but looking on average ~15 PPG, typically second or third option numbers.

Would Gordo look odd if he were in the list? I think not.

I think Justin Zanik and Dennis have a really good sense of market value and are playing this perfectly. The risk is that someone bets max or near-max money on Gordo, in which case you make the right decision and let him walk (team is better without him than with him at max money, given financial constraints).

I double GMs put him in the elite category, not will they by year end (he'd be a third option at best on Clippers, despite Docs mancrush).

There doesn't seem to be any source or anything. I think it's speculation on Stein's part. I don't believe the Jazz offered him $50 million.

From the article:

"but they were ultimately hesitant on deadline day to go beyond the $50 million mark"

Here's the whole paragraph. Not sure where you guys are getting that he didn't know what they (the Jazz) offered.

"It's believed the Jazz are prepared to match four-year offers that Hayward attracts in restricted free agency -- even if those offer sheets are front-loaded or feature other deterrents such as an early termination clause -- but they were ultimately hesitant on deadline day to go beyond the $50 million mark, mere days removed from committing $47 million to big man Favors to anchor Utah's defense."

I do think not having a deal is still a disaster. This thing's going to linger over everyone's heads.

Helps the tank

Nothing this season is a disaster.

Here's the whole paragraph. Not sure where you guys are getting that he didn't know what they (the Jazz) offered.

"It's believed the Jazz are prepared to match four-year offers that Hayward attracts in restricted free agency -- even if those offer sheets are front-loaded or feature other deterrents such as an early termination clause -- but they were ultimately hesitant on deadline day to go beyond the $50 million mark, mere days removed from committing $47 million to big man Favors to anchor Utah's defense."

Yes, I read that. And as I said, he doesn't cite any source or anything. Where did he get that $50 million number from? And he doesn't even say that the Jazz for sure offered that number. Seems like a lot of nothing to me. I doubt he knows what the Jazz offered.

Yes, I read that. And as I said, he doesn't cite any source or anything. Where did he get that $50 million number from? And he doesn't even say that the Jazz for sure offered that number. Seems like a lot of nothing to me. I doubt he knows what the Jazz offered.

Fair enough i just read it different. He doesn't say "the Jazz likely did not want to offer beyond x amount"

He says they did not feel comfortable going above 50 as though he is aware that was offered. Oh well.

Look at the 2014 FA class. https://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents

SG/SF include: Carmelo Anthony, Dwayne Wade, Danny Granger, Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce, Lebron James, Evan Turner, Loul Deng, Rudy Gay, Shane Battier, AK, Mike Miller for a few.

I don't see the money there for Hayward, I guess the Jazz didn't either.

If Hayward plays at or beyond his 4/$50 that he turned down and the Jazz are concerned that they'll be forced to max him, guess what, the Jazz STILL win (mid-season trade or S/T).

SG/SF include: Carmelo Anthony, Dwayne Wade, Danny Granger, Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce, Lebron James, Evan Turner, Loul Deng, Rudy Gay, Shane Battier, AK, Mike Miller for a few.

Evan Turner is bizarro Hayward in that he's a versatile player, but he doesn't thrive off the ball, but instead does well on the ball and in mid-range.

Good post.

The jazz tank is going to be epic.
Great draft, great free agency class, and already have a lot of young talent/assests.

I doubt he was offered 50 million over 4 years. If Hayward did refuse that offer, then that's a very selfish move from a player who has yet to do much in his career. I hope those rumors turn out to be false, because It'd change my whole perception of Hayward. Also, I would be disappointed with such a foolish offer from the Jazz.