What's new

Hayward Staying or Going?

Do you think Hayward will Stayward a Jazzman?

• Yes!

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • No...

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • No, not even if there was divine goat cheese in Utah growing in his back yard...

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
A successful off-season for the Jazz would be resigning Hayward. That's the only thing I care about at this moment, he's still the face of the Utah Jazz. He can't leave and I hope he knows this very well. I don't really care where GHill goes, but Gordon and Rudy are the franchise of this team.

That's pretty much the way the whole league is going. GS, LA, Boston and - I think the league would like - either or both of the NY teams. Major markets drive ratings and profits. NBA doesn't care about the little guys. Oh yeah, and a Texas team. SA has had a nice run, maybe Dallas rises up? Naw, Cuban has been too outspoken.

Occasionally a little guy will rise up. Certainly Philly and Minny have chances with their young stars. But those windows will be extremely short (1-2 years) until the stars leave for bigger pastures.
Philadelphia is a little guy? Its the fifth or 6th largest city in america.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

I don't think if Hayward leaves it has anything to do with market size.

If the nba cared so much about fixing the league for the biggest markets then why have they let NYK be a joke for the last decade?

I am the only one who voted Yes who isn't convinced I want him too.

If it means simply bringing the team back and hoping for Favors to be healthy, I get it... but am almost convinced it doesn't bode well for a championship.

I am the only one who voted Yes who isn't convinced I want him too.

If it means simply bringing the team back and hoping for Favors to be healthy, I get it... but am almost convinced it doesn't bode well for a championship.

What bodes well for a championship in your mind with Hayward gone? Signing Gallo to 4/120? Or Rudy Gay for 4/80?

Give us a realistic alternative that bodes better for a championship than getting back Hill and Hayward.

What bodes well for a championship in your mind with Hayward gone? Signing Gallo to 4/120? Or Rudy Gay for 4/80?

Give us a realistic alternative that bodes better for a championship than getting back Hill and Hayward.

My problem is I think X will be a stud. So part of me worries that we spend all our cap space on Hill cause we need to keep Hayward.

I think Hayward is a mighty good player. I would happily resign him but I don't want Hill.

Don't you think if X is not going to develop the Jazz should look to blow this thing up properly.

That includes packaging Gobert for the world....

My problem is I think X will be a stud. So part of me worries that we spend all our cap space on Hill cause we need to keep Hayward.

I think Hayward is a mighty good player. I would happily resign him but I don't want Hill.

Don't you think if X is not going to develop the Jazz should look to blow this thing up properly.

That includes packaging Gobert for the world....

So would your realistic dream scenario be: sign Hayward, let Hill go, maybe get Teodosic as a stop-gap and let Exum compete for the starting spot vs him?

Or would you: let Hill and Hayward go, trade Gobert for whatever best offer you can get. Clean house(Trade Hood, Favors, JJ, Ingles for some sort of future assets, etc.) and tank this year with Exum being the main guy going forward?

I really don't know what Exum has shown to make you think he will be a star.

For the record if Hayward leaves, I wouldn't mind the second option, but not because I think super highly of Exum, but rather because of what we could potentially get as future assets and through our own tanking(and because it's likely if Hayward and Hill leave we never get as good as we were this last year for the duration of Gobert's next contract, thus using him to jumpstart the rebuilt rather than wasting his prime on the treadmill). I think Exum would be a lottery ticket, but I personally don't have super high hopes for him.

So would your realistic dream scenario be: sign Hayward, let Hill go, maybe get Teodosic as a stop-gap and let Exum compete for the starting spot vs him?

Or would you: let Hill and Hayward go, trade Gobert for whatever best offer you can get. Clean house(Trade Hood, Favors, JJ, Ingles for some sort of future assets, etc.) and tank this year with Exum being the main guy going forward?

I really don't know what Exum has shown to make you think he will be a star.

For the record if Hayward leaves, I wouldn't mind the second option, but not because I think super highly of Exum, but rather because of what we could potentially get as future assets and through our own tanking. I think Exum would be a lottery ticket, but I personally don't have super high hopes for him.

You're far more reasonable than me (and honestly more objective).

Tbh I would perhaps be happy with Beverley considering Hayward will have the rock in his hands a lot. I don't see Hill as much of a facilitator tbh anyway.

I definitely want X getting 20 mins a night every night. Should be enough to form a solid view of his potential by the end of the season.

Without a 'star' playing either one of the guard positions, I don't think Hayward and Gobert can take it much further.

If the Jazz were able to snag CP3 (or even a Lowry or worse still Dame) - then I would be on board 100%.

My slight annoyance is the Jazz seem like they have no idea what they have in X. Not entirely their fault - but they were very short sighted not playing him more consistently last year (extending his leash).

So if Hayward doesn't resign, I would definitely hand the keys to X and get rid of everyone. Would keep Gobert this year to see how good X can be. If X is a bust or borderline rotation player - don't resign him and look to trade Gobert for the Brooklyn pick, SAC 2019 pick and maybe Brown or Tatum (or similar deal).

Mind you, offering Gallo a big deal would almost interest me as an inbetween measure - but I know long term this only works if Exum and/or Mitchell become AS. (And even then...)

I think depends on who improves more from now till then, if neither team improves then it will be Boston. If Boston is able to get Paul George then definitely Boston. If Jazz improve butz Boston does not then it will be the Jazz.

I 100% think Hayward stays. And I've always thought this. I got nervous after Boston secured the #1 pick and all of these talks of Boston trading for a star began. Thoughts of IT/Fultz/Horford/Another Star/Hayward were scary. But then Boston traded from #1 to #3 to select a small forward. Ainge proclaimed the guy that he would take at #3 would've been the guy he would've taken at #1 showing that he believes fully in Tatum to develop into a star. Ainge balked at a #3 for Jimmy Butler swap straight up. That shows he's fully committed to Tatum. Boston struck out on Porzingis talks. The Boston talks for George have stalled. And even if they acquired George, a roster with George/Hayward/Tatum makes no sense because of all of the money committed, players lost to make it happen, etc. So I don't see what star Boston can acquire before free agency that lures Hayward away. And if Boston goes to free agency with their current roster I don't think there's a chance Hayward leaves. Plus I'm not sure Ainge even wants to pay Hayward the max. If he pays Hayward he is essentially all in to win with that roster. Once IT is paid next offseason Boston would be over the tax. Ainge has had such a stranglehold on Boston's assets it makes me think that Boston will stand pat again and keep waiting for what they believe is the right time to make a move.

[tweet]878308241746386944[/tweet]

DDBgip1XYAAryZI.jpg

I'm definitely nervous, but I think the biggest thing that works in our favor is that Gordon knows if he leaves, he will always wonder if he left too soon. If he goes, he'll never know what this team would have been had he stayed. Why would you leave a place that's inarguably on the upswing, and who can pay you more? I don't think Hayward is all about money, but he's gotta know this would be the worst time to jump ship. He would always wonder if he should have stayed.

Call me a sentimental homer. It's okay.

I don't think if Hayward leaves it has anything to do with market size.

If the nba cared so much about fixing the league for the biggest markets then why have they let NYK be a joke for the last decade?

I don't believe the league has to "fix" things but when they have a chance to nudge in more marketable directions they do so. They can't take the Knicks from basement dwellers to contenders or even a playoff team. The Knicks have sucked in spite of the potential for favorable treatment. It's not easy to overcome two decades of Dolan, Layden, Isiah Thomas and now Phil Jackson.

He's staying. Last offseason helps us out a ton in this regard. Picking up a guy like Joe Johnson who than proved to play a huge role in the playoffs will be huge. It says to gordon that we can pick up guy that will make us competitive come playoff time....If it was say last year when we ended the season on disapointment i could see him leaving, but after last year it would come as a shock to see him go.

Hayward is old school. Will not talk before. I remember Richard Jefferson mouthing off Hayward shouldn’t hold out for Max offer and that really pissed Hayward off.

People always underestimate his desire to win

The question Hayward has to ask is can the Jazz win it before Goberts contract is up?

My gut tells me he is gone