What's new

Hayward: the new CJ!

Hayward is a smart player. His movement is efficient on defense and he's become a good defensive player. He's also a decent rebounder. On offense, he's been developing a drive-and-kick game, and he usually makes the right pass. He's not the best spot-up shooter, but that should improve if he keeps working on it. CJ was basically a spot-up shooter with a flakey stroke.

I have noticed some improvement lately in Hayward's ability to shoot off of screens, or be a spot up shooter.

When he is mentally in it and takes the pass and shoots immediately while he still has an opening it has looked good lately. When his head is not in it and he hesitates, it stalls our offense and we basically have to start over because he gets the pass, waits a second, and now his defender is on him and the whole point of all that movement to get open is wasted.

Better, not great... but I have seen some flashes of brilliance. I hope and pray that those flashes turn into some sort of reality night after night. That's what we loved about Horny right? He would come off those screens, catch the pass and be shooting already... it was smooth and beautiful. I think I honestly liked the play of Horny more than John and Karl. Just a personal preference of playing style, even though I enjoyed all three. They were a beautiful trifecta of awesomeness.

? What just happened?

Please, never mention Hayward and Stockton in one sentence. That's just travesty. And no, he is not the best passer on the team, not even close. He is decent passer but nothing special.
I never said he was as good as Stockton. Just the way they never try to do more then they can neither are flashy, always making the fundamentally sound play. Dont put words in my mouth and stop being a troll.
Yeah and you said he is going to average 20pts a game last year. ^Wrong, ^wrong, ^wrong, ^wrong.

I also said the jazz are using him incorrectly. He's not a spot up shooter. He's a slashing playmaker, and Ty is making him play off the ball spotting up. Hayward needs the ball in his hands. He's a playmaker! Players don't just spot up, and stand behind the three point line! Ge your damned facts straight. Shouldn't you be on the wolves message boar riding AK's ***?

Hayward is a very useful player and benefits the team the way AK did. I'm still not sure if he's a 2 or a 3, but he's a starter in the league. He'll be a better shooter than he is currently, but he'll never be at a Korver level. Ironically, he's on the same path as AK relatively speaking. If the Jazz overrate him, he'll get an extension this offseason at 10 million or over which is too much (based on present evidence.) The better move would be to let him play into his RFA year. But for this year and next, he's a very good player at his contract value. The question is whether KOC would deal him, and he's definitely not untouchable.

...and in other news CJ Miles is now in the doghouse in Cleveland. That didn't take long did it?
He got a "dnp - coach's decision" against his buddy Deron Williams last night. That must have been embarrassing.

...and in other news CJ Miles is now in the doghouse in Cleveland. That didn't take long did it?
He got a "dnp - coach's decision" against his buddy Deron Williams last night. That must have been embarrassing.

A DNP-CD on Cleveland's bench has to be ridiculously embarrassing.

yeah he is better then CJ... But we could have had Paul George...

You are complaining about Hayward missing FGs this year, and in the same breath ask for Paul George, who is actually shooting MUCH worse from the floor at just 40% this year (Hayward is at 44). Grass always seems greener on the other side, isn't it?

You are complaining about Hayward missing FGs this year, and in the same breath ask for Paul George, who is actually shooting MUCH worse from the floor at just 40% this year (Hayward is at 44). Grass always seems greener on the other side, isn't it?

We have to learn not to respond to AKMVP. He's going to say what he's going to say, and no amount of logic is going to help. He's a troll, and trolls going to troll if ya know what I mean.

Yeah, but not as embarrassing as 0-7 .

I found this bit on ESPN to be a great summary of CJ.

ESPN Fantasy Projection: Coach Byron Scott said Miles has 'untapped' potential, but, after his seven NBA seasons, we think Miles is what he is: a mediocre-shooting backup swingman.

I don't think I complained about Hayward missing FG. George is just more complete player with much higher ceiling. Better rebounder, better defender, taller, more athletic, better long distance shooter.

We have to learn not to respond to AKMVP. He's going to say what he's going to say, and no amount of logic is going to help. He's a troll, and trolls going to troll if ya know what I mean.

We have to learn not to respond to Thee jazz fan. He's going to say what he's going to say, and no amount of logic or stats is going to help. He's Haywards homer and going to keep posting that Hayward is the best player on the Jazz and the best thing to happen to us since Stockton and Malone.

We have to learn not to respond to Thee jazz fan. He's going to say what he's going to say, and no amount of logic or stats is going to help. He's Haywards homer and going to keep posting that Hayward is the best player on the Jazz and the best thing to happen to us since Stockton and Malone.

Did that line really just come from you, AKMVP? The AK loverboy bothered that someone else likes a player? Rich

I don't hate you, or disagree with everything you say, but I find this highly ironic.

Reactions: Xsy

Agreed Hayward will come into his own. And it is always greener isn't it?

Hayward contributes the the success of the team pretty much every time he steps on the floor, whether he's hitting his shots or not. So there's really no comparison between Hayward and CJ.

Did that line really just come from you, AKMVP? The AK loverboy bothered that someone else likes a player? Rich

I don't hate you, or disagree with everything you say, but I find this highly ironic.

Did I ever said that AK was the best passer on the Jazz or had best basketball IQ or any other biased statement? The fact that I like him does not mean I overrate him or have unrealistic expectations. Thee jazz fan on the other hand is delusional when it comes to Hayward, sorry.

Did I ever said that AK was the best passer on the Jazz or had best basketball IQ or any other biased statement? The fact that I like him does not mean I overrate him or have unrealistic expectations. Thee jazz fan on the other hand is delusional when it comes to Hayward, sorry.

Not sure Thee is that over the top. For many of us though the impression is that you will defend AK to the death.

I apologize if this is not the case, that is just what I get from reading many of your posts.

I honestly like AK, his game when not pouting, and hope he does well.

Hayward contributes the the success of the team pretty much every time he steps on the floor, whether he's hitting his shots or not. So there's really no comparison between Hayward and CJ.

according to 82games.com he is not ( at least so far in this season) . He has -0.5 rating which means team performs better with him on the bench. I bet he will improve though, last year he was third best on the Jazz behind big AL and Millsap. This year I think he has some veterans in front of him which makes him to hesitant to take reigns in his hands.

https://www.82games.com/1213/1213UTA.HTM

according to 82games.com he is not ( at least so far in this season) . He has -0.5 rating which means team performs better with him on the bench. I bet he will improve though, last year he was third best on the Jazz behind big AL and Millsap. This year I think he has some veterans in front of him which makes him to hesitant to take reigns in his hands.

https://www.82games.com/1213/1213UTA.HTM

While interesting, I don't think those stats mean anything yet. Too small of a sample size. We have to be about 30 games in to rely in any degree on those numbers, and even then you have to keep them in perspective and look at the whole picture of what they mean. On court/off court numbers are interesting, but they also have a lot to do with who the other team has on the floor with you as well as who is on the floor with you.

Also interesting that he holds his opponents to the lowest production rate on the team. Either he is a good defender, or everyone he plays against sucks. Notice Carroll and Sap... it could be a position thing?