Who do you like better?

• Hendricks

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Walker

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Like/Dislike them both equally

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters
The Walker highlights dont remind me of Z-Bo's game. He was way less athletic and relied on his Lbs to back players under the rim.

Walker may have a similar build but he has a lot more spring. Z-Bo couldn't jump over a paperweight. Walker plays defense. Z-Bo wasn't known for his defense. Walker looks like he may have some defensive 1-5 switchability.

I think Draymond Green is a better comp. Not a great shooter, but a switchable defender who can pass the ball.

Z-Bo was an elite, back to thr basket post up player who was a passable team defender. He was a bit overweight and relied on power and strength, not length or intensity to gain advantages on matchups.

First of all, regular disclaimer - haven't watched enough and only seen highlights of both. On highlights Hendricks looks more intriguing to me, but I bet that misses a lot of nuance.

Seems like Hendricks has a more well defined role projection at the next level - 3 and D forward with rim protection potential. And both the 3 and the D look like solid projections.

About Walker... seems like there is more to his game and more on-ball potential, but you have to do a lot of projecting of his shot and of his on-ball offensive creation. I guess if you trust your coaching and trust his character and work ethic, he might end up more valuable piece.

I'd take Hendricks over Walker each and every day. I'm a big believer that if you can shoot at a high clip already you're in front of the 8 ball. So many games are won or lost at the FT line and if you can shoot form there at a minimum 70-75% then your form will generally stand up to most other areas on the court, your shot mechanics are reasonably sound. If you look at the projected top 10, the FT%'s look like this:
1. Wembenyama .829%
2. Miller .859%
3. Henderson .750%
4. Amen Thompson .646%
5. Walker .662%
6. Ausar Thompson .671%
7. Whitmore .703%
8. Black .705%
9. Hendricks .782%
10. Dick .854%
11. Wallace .757%
12. George .793%
13. Hawkins .887%
14. Smith Jnr .740%
15. Sensabaugh .830%
16. Hood Schifino .776%

I still believe, trying to improve the shooting and shot mechanics is one of the hardest things to pick up and improve on. Not saying it can't be done but if you've got it already you're a step ahead. I'd draft somebody who can shoot it well and has a good bball IQ over a number of other skills. If l was drafting purely off my assessment of there actual shooting stroke/percentages and the other intangibles they have then at #9 l would be hoping for Hendricks and if he was gone then Dick. At 16, l hope we could get one of Hawkins, George or Hood Schifino.

Those shooting percentages for both the Thompson twins and Walker aren't great and Whitmore & Black are marginally better. The fact that Wembenyama shoots free throws at .829% is testament to his awesome shooting skills for a big fella! Hawkins, Miller & Dick the best shooters in the top 15 or so mock picks. Only my opinion, but l feel other things can be taught whereas shooting is somewhat built into your DNA.

I cannot believe we’re having an actual discussion about Walker’s physical profile. Maybe as a C he’s a little short, but he’s great at the big man stuff. Just as a pure athlete and specimen he will enter the league as one of the best. He has insane strength and has bursty speed too. He is built like a tank with super long arms. I cannot take this ZBO stuff seriously and we should not take anyone who thinks that’s an actual comparison seriously.

The Walker highlights dont remind me of Z-Bo's game. He was way less athletic and relied on his Lbs to back players under the rim.

Walker may have a similar build but he has a lot more spring. Z-Bo couldn't jump over a paperweight. Walker plays defense. Z-Bo wasn't known for his defense. Walker looks like he may have some defensive 1-5 switchability.

I think Draymond Green is a better comp. Not a great shooter, but a switchable defender who can pass the ball.

He’s Millsap/Horford to me. Or maybe a more beefy (in a good way) version of Aaron Gordon.

I like both but i take hendricks

Whitmore, Walker or Hendricks. I don’t really care which one, because I think all of them would be great on the Jazz paired up with Markkanen.

If they can make a small trade up to get the one they want, great. Otherwise, hope one falls to you at #9.

This

Can he play alongside Walker Kessler? I mainly mean - can he stretch the floor? Or are we risking another Gobert-Favors situation?
i think if you draft walker, you do it with the hope that he can either at least stretch the floor and/or put it on the deck and create for himself and others. you don't draft jarace walker to be favors. if he's favors it was a failed pick. you want walker to be a 3/4, not a 4/5

Can he play alongside Walker Kessler? I mainly mean - can he stretch the floor? Or are we risking another Gobert-Favors situation?
I think Jarace is a better defender (but maybe not by much), has a better handle, and is a better passer... and yet if Taylor is the shooter we think he can be... and if Jarace never shoots it well... all of that ends up making Taylor the better player. I think the handle/passing stuff is nice but its not like super necessary at the position.

If we could predict who could shoot this draft thing would be a lot easier. I think his shot looks good and he's not exactly a hesitant shooter despite iffy percentages. I'm confident he won't be a Favors where he can't shoot, and his other perimeter skills are much better. But I think realistically you're looking at a shooter between Aaron Gordon - Millsap. I think he falls somewhere in that range.

I love Walker Kessler, but I also think we need to think about the degree to which we're confident about him at C in the playoffs. Do we think of Walker Kessler as a Rudy level player where we're going to max him out, play him 36+ minutes in the playoffs, and (should) build the team around him? Or is he more like a Poetl/Jarrett Allen level player where we pay him a lot (not the max), he plays 30 minutes, and in the playoffs it's matchup dependent. I think there will be times where we love having the dominant defensive big, but other times where we want a smaller and more versatile 4/5 look with Lauri.

Personally, I think Hendricks is better fit with Kessler in mind, but Jarace is a better fit with Lauri in mind. If you want a more 5 out look with Lauri at the 4/5, I think you need someone like Jarace to make it work and I'm uncertain Hendricks is physical enough for that pairing. It's not bad with Hendricks, it's just iffy. But The Jarace fit with Kessler+Lauri on the court is also iffy so again it depends on what your plans are with Kessler and how you view him going forward.

I think Jarace is a better defender (but maybe not by much), has a better handle, and is a better passer... and yet if Taylor is the shooter we think he can be... and if Jarace never shoots it well... all of that ends up making Taylor the better player. I think the handle/passing stuff is nice but its not like super necessary at the position.
The question is... lets say you are in the NBA Western Conference finals... do you think Jarace Walker will be so good with his ballhandling that you will choose to give HIM the ball and not your guards/primary ballhandler? Because ballhandling from your forward is nice and all and it's super valuable if he can actually be primary or secondary offensive creator... but if he's like... Aaron Gordon, you are not giving him the ball to run on-ball actions in a playoff game, you will be hoping he at least can shoot as well as Aaron Gordon so you can use his physicality and defensive ability on the other end without sacrificing too much on offense.

If we could predict who could shoot this draft thing would be a lot easier. I think his shot looks good and he's not exactly a hesitant shooter despite iffy percentages. I'm confident he won't be a Favors where he can't shoot, and his other perimeter skills are much better. But I think realistically you're looking at a shooter between Aaron Gordon - Millsap. I think he falls somewhere in that range.

I love Walker Kessler, but I also think we need to think about the degree to which we're confident about him at C in the playoffs. Do we think of Walker Kessler as a Rudy level player where we're going to max him out, play him 36+ minutes in the playoffs, and (should) build the team around him? Or is he more like a Poetl/Jarrett Allen level player where we pay him a lot (not the max), he plays 30 minutes, and in the playoffs it's matchup dependent. I think there will be times where we love having the dominant defensive big, but other times where we want a smaller and more versatile 4/5 look with Lauri.

Personally, I think Hendricks is better fit with Kessler in mind, but Jarace is a better fit with Lauri in mind. If you want a more 5 out look with Lauri at the 4/5, I think you need someone like Jarace to make it work and I'm uncertain Hendricks is physical enough for that pairing. It's not bad with Hendricks, it's just iffy. But The Jarace fit with Kessler+Lauri on the court is also iffy so again it depends on what your plans are with Kessler and how you view him going forward.
Quite honestly... to me it feels like Hendricks is such an easier and clearer transition. Maybe the upside is not as high(although, not sure about that). I was just typing another response above about - how good do you need Walker to be with his on-ball offensive creation for you to actually use him as an on-ball offensive creator in high leverage situations(like lets say Western conference finals game) instead of giving the ball to your guards/primary creators? If he's Aaron Gordon or someone of that sort IMO you wouldn't want him handling the ball and running your offense through him. And then you will need him to actually be able to hit some shots in order to be able to use his defensive ability on the other end of the floor.

66% from the stripe is not a great sign.
Yep... this is the one that worries me, not his 3p%... his FT% is not good and that one is probably even better of an indicator for his shot transitioning well to the league.

Quite honestly... to me it feels like Hendricks is such an easier and clearer transition. Maybe the upside is not as high(although, not sure about that). I was just typing another response above about - how good do you need Walker to be with his on-ball offensive creation for you to actually use him as an on-ball offensive creator in high leverage situations(like lets say Western conference finals game) instead of giving the ball to your guards/primary creators? If he's Aaron Gordon or someone of that sort IMO you wouldn't want him handling the ball and running your offense through him. And then you will need him to actually be able to hit some shots in order to be able to use his defensive ability on the other end of the floor.

I won't necessarily disagree with Hendricks being the more clear fit. I think it comes down to how much more you believe in Kessler+Lauri versus Lauri in a 5 out lineup. IMO, it's close enough where you just take your pick of who you think is BPA and for me that's Walker. I do think he has a lot of potential as an initiator type. The way he plays offense at HOU is just not at all how I imagine him in the NBA. I expect him to be very good in PnR and very good at the high post initiating. Bam is the best at what he does so I hesitate to make any comparison to him, but that's how I imagine him being used. You put the ball in his hands in the middle of the floor and you have so many options. I do think Jarace will be good enough where you have the ball in his hands during high leverage situations....I don't think Hendricks will ever be there but obviously he's best off the ball.

I won't necessarily disagree with Hendricks being the more clear fit. I think it comes down to how much more you believe in Kessler+Lauri versus Lauri in a 5 out lineup. IMO, it's close enough where you just take your pick of who you think is BPA and for me that's Walker. I do think he has a lot of potential as an initiator type. The way he plays offense at HOU is just not at all how I imagine him in the NBA. I expect him to be very good in PnR and very good at the high post initiating. Bam is the best at what he does so I hesitate to make any comparison to him, but that's how I imagine him being used. You put the ball in his hands in the middle of the floor and you have so many options. I do think Jarace will be good enough where you have the ball in his hands during high leverage situations....I don't think Hendricks will ever be there but obviously he's best off the ball.
It's not just with Kessler or our team that I see a clearer fit with Hendricks. It's with pretty much any team in playoff situation. Well... again... unless Walker indeed turns into a Bam type of offensive initiator...