Who do you like better?

• Hendricks

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Walker

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Like/Dislike them both equally

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters
Can he play alongside Walker Kessler? I mainly mean - can he stretch the floor? Or are we risking another Gobert-Favors situation?
Luckily we have years more of cheap Walker Kessler we can evaluate to see how he develops. And go from there.

Walkers passing and transition offense, he should be fine on offense with a traditional center. If he can’t be reliable from a wide open corner three, that’s an issue. But I’d bet on him being okay from there.

They’d be monsters on defense together.

That’s why Hendricks concerns me more. He might think he can do more on offense than Walker but do you actually want Hendricks trying to create a shot in crunch time, or thinking he can? Only his highest level outcome makes him that kind of player. I think Walker would know his role and not try to force anything like I could see Hendricks doing.

It's not just with Kessler or our team that I see a clearer fit with Hendricks. It's with pretty much any team in playoff situation. Well... again... unless Walker indeed turns into a Bam type of offensive initiator...

If we did not have Kessler, I think Walker is the better fit. Hendricks provides some big man value, particularly as a shot blocker, but the 4/5 combo of Lauri+Hendricks is not physical enough imo. Hendricks and Lauri are also both non ball handlers who don't create off the dribble, and I don't necessarily want them to be primary on ball defenders either. So there are still a lot of gaps to fill with Hendricks.

The question is... lets say you are in the NBA Western Conference finals... do you think Jarace Walker will be so good with his ballhandling that you will choose to give HIM the ball and not your guards/primary ballhandler? Because ballhandling from your forward is nice and all and it's super valuable if he can actually be primary or secondary offensive creator... but if he's like... Aaron Gordon, you are not giving him the ball to run on-ball actions in a playoff game, you will be hoping he at least can shoot as well as Aaron Gordon so you can use his physicality and defensive ability on the other end without sacrificing too much on offense.
that's it... unless they are Bam/Jokic/Sengun having the big ballhandler is fine but you aren't going through them and using that skill as much as you would a shooter. Sabonis kinda got neutered this playoff a bit with how GS was able to play him.

I think with Walker you may be able to play 5 out but if he's sub-Horford level shooter they still will sag off. With Taylor you could play a true 5 out and still have some rim protection and size. Then you have some really tough choices. Can Taylor do some of the passing out of a roll or dribble into a midrange stuff to get a little more volume/pop?

I think both end up gone by #7... so it shouldn't matter much.

Luckily we have years more of cheap Walker Kessler we can evaluate to see how he develops. And go from there.

Walkers passing and transition offense, he should be fine on offense with a traditional center. If he can’t be reliable from a wide open corner three, that’s an issue. But I’d bet on him being okay from there.

They’d be monsters on defense together.

That’s why Hendricks concerns me more. He might think he can do more on offense than Walker but do you actually want Hendricks trying to create a shot in crunch time, or thinking he can? Only his highest level outcome makes him that kind of player. I think Walker would know his role and not try to force anything like I could see Hendricks doing.
Why would Hendricks think he can do more on offense than Walker? He would presumably know that as a shooter he is a benefit in almost every offensive possession because of the space he provides... whereas Walker may want to do some dribbly, passy stuff. I think Taylor is more likely to become a wallflower at times than to be overly involved.

Why would Hendricks think he can do more on offense than Walker? He would presumably know that as a shooter he is a benefit in almost every offensive possession because of the space he provides... whereas Walker may want to do some dribbly, passy stuff. I think Taylor is more likely to become a wallflower at times than to be overly involved.
Yea, I’m inconsistent as hell with this stuff. Just projecting until we can actually see them on a court. You could certainly be right.

Lauri
Walker or Hendricks
Kessler

Frontcourt excites me a lot no matter which rookie is there.

Yea, I’m inconsistent as hell with this stuff. Just projecting until we can actually see them on a court. You could certainly be right.

Lauri
Walker or Hendricks
Kessler

Frontcourt excites me a lot no matter which rookie is there.
I watched Hendricks a lot... and he very much sticks to the gameplan... almost annoyingly. Wish he had some GG Jackson yolo stuff in there. He makes quick decisions with the ball and moves it along if he isn't setup to shoot or roll. Make of that what you will, but I think he is likely quite coachable and will stick to the script.

I’m shocked that this many people prefer Hendricks over Walker. Walker has a more complete game in my opinion. Hendricks feels more like a one trick pony Jack of all trades master of nothing.

I’m shocked that this many people prefer Hendricks over Walker. Walker has a more complete game in my opinion. Hendricks feels more like a one trick pony Jack of all trades master of nothing.
He's a two trick pony lol... Walker is the jack of all trades (hence why he is viewed as more complete). Hendricks will likely be a very good shooter for a stretch big and he protects the rim... he also yams on people...

View: https://twitter.com/BrianJNBA/status/1638577641002344468

I'm trying to think of another long forward in the NBA that did something significant with dunks and threes... wonder if that one-trick pony is any good.

The question is... lets say you are in the NBA Western Conference finals... do you think Jarace Walker will be so good with his ballhandling that you will choose to give HIM the ball and not your guards/primary ballhandler? Because ballhandling from your forward is nice and all and it's super valuable if he can actually be primary or secondary offensive creator... but if he's like... Aaron Gordon, you are not giving him the ball to run on-ball actions in a playoff game, you will be hoping he at least can shoot as well as Aaron Gordon so you can use his physicality and defensive ability on the other end without sacrificing too much on offense.
Another way of putting this is Walker seems more a jack-of-all-trades master of none. But one of his weaker points is shooting. I can easily see him becoming an end of rotation player because a guy that does a bunch of things just at or below league quality isn’t doing much.

Another way of putting this is Walker seems more a jack-of-all-trades master of none. But one of his weaker points is shooting. I can easily see him becoming an end of rotation player because a guy that does a bunch of things just at or below league quality isn’t doing much.
His defense is likely way above league average, and if he becomes just an average shooter, he will be valuable. I think he looks like he'll be at least an average 3pt shooter for a big.

His defense is likely way above league average, and if he becomes just an average shooter, he will be valuable. I think he looks like he'll be at least an average 3pt shooter for a big.
And if he doesn’t, then what? He shouldn’t be a full-time center, so in the playoffs he does what? Play 20 minutes a game at center? Non-shooting non-centers don’t play at the highest level (unless you’re one of the greatest glue guys ever and you play off of two of the greatest shooters ever).

Shooting determines his future, point blank. The other stuff on offense is spice and gravy, not meat and potatoes in this era.

I kind of feel like Walker is the master of none... Hendricks actually has 2 extremely valuable aspects of his game(one on offense and one on defense) that are at a really high level for him and are easy to project to the league
He's a two trick pony lol... Walker is the jack of all trades (hence why he is viewed as more complete). Hendricks will likely be a very good shooter for a stretch big and he protects the rim... he also yams on people...

View: https://twitter.com/BrianJNBA/status/1638577641002344468

I'm trying to think of another long forward in the NBA that did something significant with dunks and threes... wonder if that one-trick pony is any good.

Lauri had some sort of record for 3s and dunks this season. +Hendricks actually has easier translation on defense.

And if he doesn’t, then what? He shouldn’t be a full-time center, so in the playoffs he does what? Play 20 minutes a game? Non-shooting non-centers don’t play at the highest level (unless you’re one of the greatest glue guys ever and you play off of two of the greatest shooters ever).
You can play this what if game with any prospect though, I'm not 100% sure what your point is.

Maybe you are trying to say that Hendricks has the higher floor, which I would agree with.

You can play this what if game with any prospect though, I'm not 100% sure what your point is.
I’m saying he’s not a good shooter and has frankly a lot of ground to cover to get where Hendricks already is. The more a person has to improve, the less likely they’ll get where they need to be. But sure, he can certainly improve and likely will. I’m not sure it’s likely he improves enough.

I kind of feel like Walker is the master of none... Hendricks actually has 2 extremely valuable aspects of his game(one on offense and one on defense) that are at a really high level for him and are easy to project to the league

Lauri had some sort of record for 3s and dunks this season. +Hendricks actually has easier translation on defense.
That is who I was referring too... Hendricks viewed as a "one trick pony" is rich... he has 2 extremely valuable tricks... and he mashes on peoples heads. If he is a good roll man in addition to shooting and rim protection... that's pretty great.

I've described him as John Collins except if John was really good at the things you valued most.... instead of just okayish... sometimes. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

I’m saying he’s not a good shooter and has frankly a lot of ground to cover to get where Hendricks already is. The more a person has to improve, the less likely they’ll get where they need to be. But sure, he can certainly improve and likely will. I’m not sure it’s likely he improves enough.
I also think its important to note that where Taylor is may hint that he can be closer to a guy like Lauri on the three point line versus just being merely adequate. Even if Walker gets to a Horford level of shooting that is still a guy you live with taking 3-4 a night... Taylor may be a "do not effing give this guy any space" level of shooter at his size. Not saying he'd quite get to Lauri's level but who knows.

His defense as a whole (and many singular aspects that make up defense) is top tier...Might be the best defensive player in this draft. I'm not saying he will, but he has the potential to be a DPOY and that dude who is the most valuable defender on the court in a playoff situation. Offensively you may have an argument (although I think he's excellent inside the paint), but if he's not a master of defense nobody is for this draft class.

Like his shot blocking alone, one of Hendrick's two tricks (not my words), is on par between the two players. We don't talk about Walker as a rim protector nearly as much, but that's because there are more things to talk about with him. Doesn't mean he's a master of none.

His defense as a whole (and many singular aspects that make up defense) is top tier...Might be the best defensive player in this draft. I'm not saying he will, but he has the potential to be a DPOY and that dude who is the most valuable defender on the court in a playoff situation. Offensively you may have an argument (although I think he's excellent inside the paint), but if he's not a master of defense nobody is for this draft class.

Like his shot blocking alone, one of Hendrick's two tricks (not my words), is on par between the two players. We don't talk about Walker as a rim protector nearly as much, but that's because there are more things to talk about with him. Doesn't mean he's a master of none.
I mostly meant offensively.

The great thing about this debate is Walker and probably Hendricks are gone before we even get a chance either way.