What's new

Hollinger rates Utah's second unit ...

sirkickyass

Moderator Emeritus
Contributor
24th out of 30 teams in the league. But Harpring keeps talking about how great they are!

Best benches are given to Toronto, Denver, Philly, San Antonio and Houston.

Bring on the inevitable "Hollinger hates Utah" and "computers suck" comments.

There's more than meets the eye with this guy. I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNWArv4J4J8

24th out of 30 teams in the league. But Harpring keeps talking about how great they are!

Best benches are given to Toronto, Denver, Philly, San Antonio and Houston.

Bring on the inevitable "Hollinger hates Utah" and "computers suck" comments.

Um, our bench isn't all that great. Sad thing is they are almost better than our starters.

On paper our bench is not supposed to be good. You look at the numbers they put up as individual players out side of CJ and they really aren't good at all. But as a whole the unit plays well together and brings energy every night. And those are 2 things our starters seem to be struggling with.

Well, he thinly acknowledges defense in picking the Spurs as his best unit despite being only 4th. It's an offensive rating, anyway. His numbers back up what we already know--our bench is challenged to score. But the differentials are still solidly in our favor because it's such a good defensive unit. I think the Jazz are around 7th or 8th on hoopstats in differential. I'm not worried about the bench.

Other than Watson, not one of the bench players can be counted on for anything on any given night. Well, unless you count Miles catching and jacking shots at every opportunity. That's a given, too.

Other than Watson, not one of the bench players can be counted on for anything on any given night. Well, unless you count Miles catching and jacking shots at every opportunity. That's a given, too.

What about Price? Cant you count on him to give the 110% Harpring effect on every play, including the ones that don't require it, which inevitably leads to disaster?

Francisco Elson has been solid all season. He's not a dominant scorer, but he has gotten the job done on a consistent basis.

I'm surprised the bench isn't rated dead last. Gawd we're awful! Have you looked at the shooting percentages? The only reason CJ is considered a "decent" player off the bench is that he's one of the only guys that jacks up shots. Jazz have got three players who should be on the team next season: Williams, Millsap and Jefferson. Well, maybe I'd also keep Evans and Hayward. They're rookies and have some upside.The rest should be taken behind the barn and put out of their misery.

The Jazz bench, statistically, ranks #9 in terms of overall efficiency but that has a lot to do with the fact that the bench averages only 14 mins per game, which is #26 in NBA. I guess. The Jazz bench have had to compensate for the atricious, effortless starts of starters all year long and they really helped us in that matter. However, the players coming off the bench for the Jazz ,as a unit, are not consistent and the Jazz cannot rely on the bench production to win ballgames as they used to. To their credit, the Bench have been depleted all year because of Memo's absence. That will surely change if we get him %100 and have him or somebody else come off the bench. I'm not surprised that Hollinger ranks it so low. I would rank them a little bit higher, though.

The Jazz bench, statistically, ranks #9 in terms of overall efficiency but that has a lot to do with the fact that the bench averages only 14 mins per game, which is #26 in NBA. I guess. The Jazz bench have had to compensate for the atricious, effortless starts of starters all year long and they really helped us in that matter. However, the players coming off the bench for the Jazz ,as a unit, are not consistent and the Jazz cannot rely on the bench production to win ballgames as they used to. To their credit, the Bench have been depleted all year because of Memo's absence. That will surely change if we get him %100 and have him or somebody else come off the bench. I'm not surprised that Hollinger ranks it so low.
If I could rep this again I would. This post summarizes every key point regarding the Jazz's bench production this season.