Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The new CJ Miles

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Qman

How good is Burks really?

Has he peaked?

His FG% and eFG% has regressed since college.

He has athletic tools but his defense fundamentals haven't really improved.

Is he going to be a good 6th man? A CJ Miles level career? Or do you still have hope he will become a good NBA starter?

Personally I am starting to believe he won't put in the work to improve.

He has all the tools to be great.

Can he get the minutes to use them? Not with the current idiot of a head coach who would rather play one year rentals over lottery picks.

He has to completely take apart and re-configure his game to fit into the NBA style of play. He is plenty athletic and his shot mechanics are fine, but the podunk school and league he played for in college didn't teach him the type of game it takes to preform in the NBA.

In short, it's all up to him, it's all up to his head.

The fact that his favorite move is to take the longest 2 point jump shot possible says a lot about his concept of a good shot.

There are as many votes for All-Star as there are for rotation player or worse...

Y'all are crazy.

has he peaked? hes still adjusting to playing with the ball, in colorado he defended the biggest/best wing

hes still younger than many in this upcoming draft

plus hes a classic late bloomer, and hes shown good signs with improvements in 3pt fg%, fluid+explosive athlete id say hes still early in his progression, so i chose all-star, whos to say what his ceiling is ATM, hes clearly improving fast

he hasn't gotten steady minutes yet, he should be ready this year. i expect a marked improvement

Edit: Must work on his Midrange game, and should get considerably stronger thru the years. i like his chances to get to an efficient 15/5/5, defensively and in transition are where i see him making his biggest impact

I think he can be a star in the right offense. But not sure what that right offense would be. Being able to attack the rim like he can is a great asset to have. But if you are on a team where they focus 90% of their offensive possessions on a half court game by throwing it down to the post, that asset is pretty much worthless IMHO.

I think he can be a star in the right offense. But not sure what that right offense would be. Being able to attack the rim like he can is a great asset to have. But if you are on a team where they focus 90% of their offensive possessions on a half court game by throwing it down to the post, that asset is pretty much worthless IMHO.
I agree. Burks has the ability to get to the rim. He was pretty effective when paired with Foye, then Corbin inexplicably stopped playing the two together. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it seemed like every time Corbin found something that worked, he stopped going to it. Playing big with Millsap at SF? It worked in certain situations, then was rarely used this year. Kanter puts up 20/20. Bench him. Favors is at 20/15 after three quarters. Sit him the rest of the game. Seriously, maybe Corbin had orders to tank without making it seem like that's what he was doing. If so, I have to give him credit...he's fooled us all.

AS for Burks, we have no idea how good he can be. He continues to make rookie mistakes because he's played a lot less than others in his draft class. Personally, I think he has Maggette-level potential.

Who cares. He'll never flourish on this team. By the time the Jazz figure out he could be pretty good, it will be time to say goodbye to him.

Giving Burks his minutes will cure a lot of the delusions about him around here. Too easy to shrug off his poor decision making by saying it's the lack of playing time.

The fact that his favorite move is to take the longest 2 point jump shot possible says a lot about his concept of a good shot.

I don't disagree fundamentally as I just cannot for the life of me understand why anyone shoots long 2s (unless it's because they can comfortably hit an open one and know that the other team will give them that shot).

Better decision-making comes with more PT. He hasn't gotten the PT plus they keep trying him out at different positions. With Ty Bonehead as his coach, I'm sure it's been difficult.

His ability to get to the line and make plays around the rim cannot be discounted. I think he's a player, but again, let's just ****ing see already.

Better decision-making comes with more PT. He hasn't gotten the PT plus they keep trying him out at different positions. With Ty Bonehead as his coach, I'm sure it's been difficult.

This.

Its kind of hard to learn without on the job training. All the Jazz have done over the last two years is set themselves back and waste two years.

But ya, Jazz management is ****ing brilliant.

Best case scenario for Burks is a good 6th man (combo/lead guard). Doesn't have the defensive chops or overall physicality to be a good starter at the 2 or the ability to be a passable starter at the 1.