• Fringe NBA player

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Out of the league in 4 years

• The new CJ Miles

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I also don't know what's so hard about correctly defending a person. Playing in a scheme, communicating, and knowing how to rotate correctly are things I understand being confusing and taking time, but Burks' stance is poor most of the time, plays close 10-feet beyond the perimeter, and fouls a **** load. Consequently, he can give up a lot of points on defense but I feel like the effort is there. But then he might be dumb? I don't know.

I have to disagree with his ability to 'get to the rim'. He is really good at throwing himself haphazardly toward the rim and getting fouls called on defenders, but he rarely finishes those moves unless he has a clear path. Needs to increase his strength and finish with the foul.

Best case scenario for Burks is a good 6th man (combo/lead guard). Doesn't have the defensive chops or overall physicality to be a good starter at the 2 or the ability to be a passable starter at the 1.
I actually agree with this. The love this guy gets around here reminds me a lot of Brewer. Neither of them deserved it but for some reason people around here love them. The difference I see is that Burks probably does have NBA quality offensive skills. I see him as just as good as Brewer defensively though completely opposite. I have hope for Burks to be a 25 MPG player off of the bench as a PG/SG. I think it's unlikely he is ever as good as the other 3 players in the Core-4.
I hope he proves me wrong and becomes like Wade. Wade had some of the same issues coming out of college. But I don't think Burks is anywhere near as talented as Wade. So Wade-lite I guess.

I think he will fall somewhere in between a DeShawn Stevenson and a Jason Terry player.

Burks has some shiny parts to his game but I wonder if the whole package results in a starting player on a good team. At teams I think he could be a pure NBA scorer and other times it looks like he can't get a good shot off if his life depended on it.

As Numerica said let's just find out already - this season was a complete waste limping to the barn with Randy Foye all year.

That shoulder shake will take him to almost CJ status.

Wait, that ain't right. CJ was the better dribble driver, but Burks is the better pure driver due to speed.

From day one I was cautiously optimistic. My main concern was bb IQ. I see him as definite upside, but as the one I'd be most willing to trade.

From day one I was cautiously optimistic. My main concern was bb IQ. I see him as definite upside, but as the one I'd be most willing to trade.
For sure. All 4 of them should be available for a star, obviously, but I'd rank them as follows:

Kanter

Favors/Hayward

Burks

For sure. All 4 of them should be available for a star, obviously, but I'd rank them as follows:

Kanter

Favors/Hayward

Burks

i have them ranked like this

Favors
Kanter
Burks/Hayward

burks is just scratching the surface of his talents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axZRvNhPDXU

The problem with Burks is we just don't know.

I remember some days feeling like he'll be a 20ppG, 3 apg, 5 rpg guy
Other days, I felt like he's a bench scrub.

Some of what he brings to the table though-
Elite quickness, excellent hieght and athleticsm at either of his position
Rebounding 1/2 guard
Versatility as a combo guard
Iso ability
It's regressing right now, but high % of possesion where he gets to the line

What I hate about Burks
TO's
Dribble pull up on long range 2
Dribble pull up on long range 2
Clock Management
Out of control

What he's progressed at
PnR
Playing off the ball
Spot up 3s

Next season and the season after are where we might be able to converge on who exactly Burks is.

He has to completely take apart and re-configure his game to fit into the NBA style of play. He is plenty athletic and his shot mechanics are fine, but the podunk school and league he played for in college didn't teach him the type of game it takes to preform in the NBA.

In short, it's all up to him, it's all up to his head.

Colorado may be a podunk school for basketball (though they are improving a ton), but to say the Big 12 is a podunk league is just mind bogglingly stupid.

Colorado may be a podunk school for basketball (though they are improving a ton), but to say the Big 12 is a podunk league is just mind bogglingly stupid.

Never considered that. I assumed he faced subpar comp. Repped for perspective

I feel like he could have a Lance Stephenson-esque impact on a good team? One of the things that's been hard for me with Burks from day one is projecting how he would positively impact a good team considering that he produced so much with the ball in his hands at the previous level but his ability to do that at this level was in question. Basically, he was going to be very good or not translate. But Lance Stephenson does some similar things and it's pretty cool (rebounding, just making plays plain and simple).

I still struggle to understand how a player like Burks (at least how he's largely been to date) helps a good team substantially unless he's basically a star and I'm not sure he is. But again, I think there's something there and we need to find out just what it is.