What's new

How much should we be talking about Donovan?

Ladies, Bros, Brosettes... I'm worried about Donovan Mitchell.

He lost his stride from the end of the season last year. Multiple reasons for that, yeah, I know. But at what point do we stop making excuses for him?

I say we do it now.

That's not saying he's a bad player, nor is it saying he's not gonna make an all star game. How does the organization and fan base make him the killer he was at the mid point last season?

Our offense is designed to get open shots. When they come the players are instructed to take them. You never hear Snyder complaining about players missing open shots but you do hear him complain about not taking them. We need Donovan driving as well, although I would like to see him draw and kick a little more versus forcing a shot.

Our offense is designed to get open shots. When they come the players are instructed to take them. You never hear Snyder complaining about players missing open shots but you do hear him complain about not taking them. We need Donovan driving as well, although I would like to see him draw and kick a little more versus forcing a shot.

Yeah I think he looks for it too late and ends up getting caught in the air or throwing up a garbage shot. I'd also like him to shoot the 15 footer if it doesn't look like he can get all the way to the paint.

He seems to make up his mind too early sometimes or he doesn't have a counter or that there are 27 people in the paint. I just hope whatever it is that it gets figured out.

Yeah I think he looks for it too late and ends up getting caught in the air or throwing up a garbage shot. I'd also like him to shoot the 15 footer if it doesn't look like he can get all the way to the paint.

He seems to make up his mind too early sometimes or he doesn't have a counter or that there are 27 people in the paint. I just hope whatever it is that it gets figured out.

BINGO! You hit the nail on the head right there!

I would like to see him play more with Crowder, Korver, Ingles, and Gobert (or Favs). Half of Donovan's driving issue is he plays too much with Ricky, Favs, and Gobert, and since Ingles has been struggling shooting he's really in trouble when he's driving. Every time he drives he is collapsed on and smothered to a ridiculous extent. Donovans biggest scoring asset has been his driving, but there's no room for it in the lineups he's out there with a lot. Now that Dante has got going a bit, it would be nice to see some lineup shake-ups to give Donovan some shoooters while he's out there giving him the room to drive. On top of this, he hasn't been shooting well at all from 3 so his defender can go under picks and sag into the paint. There are times he has 3-4 defenders all over him by the time he hits the free throw line.

Being aggressive is one thing! Being just plain stupid in your shot selection is another! If you think Mitchell is given "carte blanche" to take any and all 3 pointers he deems fit to take, then you off your rocker! Good shot selection is as important as any other aspect of winning basketball, as important as rebounding, defense and good passing! If you ask the Jazz coach if he would like to see Mitchells shot selection "improve" I guarantee you he would say "absolutely!"
Sure they'd like better shots, but at the same time you rarely see anything where he can gets a catch and shoot 3. Sometimes it seems like the offense is so keyed in on getting other guys open looks (because they can't create their own shots) that we neglect one of our greatest assets, and usually it's go to Donovan and let him do what he wants to create something which he's struggled with. He does need to have more of a plan when he drives but the paint gets so congested on him I can see why he's struggling to pass out of it too.

Donovan played a great game tonight I thought, he didn't force anything the entire 1st quarter, took shots within the offense, and moved the ball much more than he has recently. Played his way into a rhythm and then by the 3rd quarter he had himself going and took over when needed to in the 2nd half.

That's the way I hope he plays going forward, it was really refreshing to see and he got other guys great looks they just couldn't convert.

Yeah, just what we need...an entire team made up of guys that can "create their own shots!" That way we will have few assists, shoot a low percentage.....and lose about 50 games!
If you don’t think we need another that is very naive.

If you don’t think we need another that is very naive.

The more "create your own shot" guys you have on your team, the less ball movement, the less assists and the more forced shots you end up with! I think one is plenty, two...... is 1 too many! We already have one, and that's enough for me!