What's new

How our rookie PG, and his SG (now could-be should-be interim PG) physically stand against the NBA

Except that you have the time and motivation to go to espn or wherever, gather the heights of all current NBA PGs, calculate mean and variance and express it both in inches and decimal imperial length measurement :D
And you took the time to share it by creating a thread. Yeah I call that unmotivated and timeless as well.

entering 1 field, calc =STDEV() and =PERCENTILE(), and formatting takes like 10-15 mins,

entering 6 or 7 fields and doing the same takes 10-15 mins * 6 or 7 fields of input data, easily takes over an hour. big difference.

I've been hearing since draft day that TB is going to need to adjust, since he is such a short PG. He is constantly referred to as small. I wanted to see how small he really was. And for fun, i threw our soon-to-be interim PG Alec in the table as well, to see how he stacked up. At the bottom are their differences from the average, and the their percentiles among their peers. I didn't list every PG in the NBA, just the ones that got significant mins at the 1 spot.

Turns out Trey is indeed below average, but not really by all that much, statistically he is within the 'normal' range of PGs. Alec on the other hand, well he is very tall for a PG in today's NBA. Not that height = success, but it does provide more options, especially regarding defense and post play.

Either way, i'm done hearing about how short TB is, he is middle of the pack, and his height shouldnt be an excuse for poor play anymore, nor should it be a triumph if he does well.

Thanks.

As someone famously said, "Do players play with the tops of their heads?" I think if you did it for standing reach, you would see Trey ranked even higher. If I recall correctly he has long arms. So I agree that he's not especially short for a PG.

Here you go, ALL DATA BASED ON DX NUMBERS, and are therefor based on when the player entered the draft - NOTE: A. Burks' Vert numbers based on P3's claim that he has added 6 inches vertical to his jumps.

Take into account that many of these players don't play a whole lot. I was just to lazy to do more than i did. So trey is below average, but some of these guys dont see the court either. His reach and whatnot are looking a lot better than his height does.

PGadvanced_zpscc8a0fd1.png

Reactions: BTP
So Trey is small to average compared to other point guards, Alec, a shooting guard, is tall compared to point guards. I'm surprised. No wait, no I'm not. What is the word? Oh yeah. Duh?

^^^

I'm surprised by the new table... Lucas III is dead last.. and yet he looks very similar to Burke size wise to me.

Alec, a shooting guard, is tall compared to point guards

Many Sg's are 6'3 or less, (PG Sized). Position doesn't tell you everything about measurements, and even though Alec is a SG playing PG, he should be physically compared to the people he will be guarding and scoring on at that moment, and the extreme nature of his size advantage is my point that he should dominate physically (but probably wont - hard to when you're not free to do what you do).

The real point more or less is that Trey is for the most part - average in his measurements

^^^

I'm surprised by the new table... Lucas III is dead last.. and yet he looks very similar to Burke size wise to me.

JLIII is very small, but the new table is sorted by wingspan, so he has the shortest wingspan, but not height

Burks with the second highest vertical (nate robinson 1st)

Wow, Lucas is a t-rex, his arms must be shorter than his height. No wonder he hasn't done anything in the NBA, I'm amazed he stuck at all.

I never 'got' the whole Trey is undersized thing, especially seeing as he is 6'1 which from what I understand, has been a pretty comfortable standard for point guards in the NBA for years. It's the height where you are tall enough to play with a strong core while not losing any of your agility or speed due to excessive weight. Any taller and you start to lose either strength to keep your weight down or speed because you bulk up. Add to that that his wingspan is very good and I say that Trey is the perfect size.

Wow, Lucas is a t-rex, his arms must be shorter than his height. No wonder he hasn't done anything in the NBA, I'm amazed he stuck at all.

I never 'got' the whole Trey is undersized thing, especially seeing as he is 6'1 which from what I understand, has been a pretty comfortable standard for point guards in the NBA for years. It's the height where you are tall enough to play with a strong core while not losing any of your agility or speed due to excessive weight. Any taller and you start to lose either strength to keep your weight down or speed because you bulk up. Add to that that his wingspan is very good and I say that Trey is the perfect size.

I was never strictly worried about the lack of height with burke...... its the combo of being short and not particularly quick or fast.

Most shorter point guards (cp3, parker, irving) have a ton of speed and/or quickness to make up for the lack of size