What's new

I agree with what appears to be the Jazz's off season plans

Chris

Like many, I was initially not exactly excited about the Jazz NOT picking at #12, when we had been looking forward to the Draft for some time (I always do anyway). And because they traded away that pick and -- let's face it -- mailed this draft in potentially (we'll see in the years to come), we assumed that they were going to let the cake bake or do the same old, same old when it came to free agency.

I was of that mindset a few days ago, but now I disagree with that assessment. I think what they proved at the draft was that they DO care about focusing on free agency, rather than trying to build through the draft. They traded their first round draft pick to get a skilled veteran, who they probably can re-sign, depending on how the year goes. Even still, look for them to extend him sooner rather than later.

And they still drafted some young prospects, but ultimately know that their team is already awash in upside, and that it's the last thing they need right now. If that talent pans out, great, but it's not the focus. The core is the focus.

Regardless of whether they will be overpaying through the nose here (they will and so will everyone else) this particular summer, that's what they're doing, whether we are fans of it or not. They supposedly received some good offers for Hayward, which they rebuffed -- for better or worse. We'll find out. But what that showed was that they are in win-now mode. Finally.

I do believe they are going to be aggressive in free agency, but on a relative scale. More "active" than they were when they thought a Raja reunion was a big signing. I think they will genuinely pay some money to some important pieces this year that can add value while splitting time with the younger core. They won't get Durant, but these coming acquisitions will make the team a lot better, I believe.

Just my two cents.

They will be aggressive in free agency...by helping teams create cap space so other teams can overpay for players. I think we add players during FA through trades.

I saw nothing at 12, so I had no problem with what they did as soon as it happened..I agree though, liking it so far

They supposedly received some good offers for Hayward, which they rebuffed -- for better or worse.

Worse. You don't win titles by paying a fringe all stars max money, like they will give Hayward next year, when you don't have a true star on your team. If they pay Hayward the max next year we won't win a title with this group. It won't happen. We will be rebuilding again in 5 years. They should have taken either offer (Boston or Phoenix) while Hayward was at the peak of his value.

As for the off season I don't expect much. A few small signings and/or trades.

Worse. You don't win titles by paying a fringe all stars max money, like they will give Hayward next year, when you don't have a true star on your team. If they pay Hayward the max next year we won't win a title with this group. It won't happen. We will be rebuilding again in 5 years. They should have taken either offer (Boston or Phoenix) while Hayward was at the peak of his value.

You can end the "you don't win titles by doing..." Anyway you would like and you'd likely be right.

Just because he can't get us a title by himself we should let him go? part of me wants Hayward to leave so the haters can see how friggin good the guy is.

Dear Chris... thanks for your thoughtful comment. It's a really good thing that there aren't 15 other threads about free agency, jazz direction, and the draft where you could opine away.

Sagging out... bra

You can end the "you don't win titles by doing..." Anyway you would like and you'd likely be right.

Just because he can't get us a title by himself we should let him go? part of me wants Hayward to leave so the haters can see how friggin good the guy is.

I never said Hayward wasn't good. He is good. I don't hate on him at all. But as a fan I want championships. How do we bring in a star player if he's on a max contract? That's the problem. We still have to pay Gobert, Favors, and probably Hood and Exum. With no cap space and likely mid 1st round picks, where do we acquire the player that puts us over the top?

I never said Hayward wasn't good. He is good. I don't hate on him at all. But as a fan I want championships. How do we bring in a star player if he's on a max contract? That's the problem. We still have to pay Gobert, Favors, and probably Hood and Exum. With no cap space and likely mid 1st round picks, where do we acquire the player that puts us over the top?

In what scenario besides blowing it up and tanking does letting Hayward walk get the Jazz ANY closer?

Last edited:
In what scenario besides blowing it up and tanking does letting Hayward get the Jazz ANY closer?

The scenario would be trading for the number 3 pick that was offered and hope you hit on a player that can be that #1 that can put you over the top eventually. Risky? Yeah. Maybe it doesn't work. But I argue the pathe we're on doesn't work (unless maybe Exum is the star we were hoping). But sometimes you have to take a step back to take a jump forward. At the very least the deal would buy us time to find that player.

The scenario would be trading for the number 3 pick that was offered and hope you hit on a player that can be that #1 that can put you over the top eventually. Risky? Yeah. Maybe it doesn't work. But I argue the pathe we're on doesn't work (unless maybe Exum is the star we were hoping). But sometimes you have to take a step back to take a jump forward. At the very least the deal would buy us time to find that player.

And go into rebuild mode again? **** that noise. I'll take several good years of going deep into the playoffs vs. a chance in hell that we get a generational player at number 3.

Enes Kanter called and is laughing his *** off.

Last edited:
How do we attract a free agent so that we can sign him? I'm not a Hayward fan by any means. But we received horrible offers. We can look at dumping Hayward hoping to land a big name free agent. We need to build a competitive team with a lot of promise only lacking the talent of that one big name. And when we do that we will be more appealing to that free agent. Durant is a free agent now, we are in no position to attract that kind of talent right now. It's unfortunate but it is what it is. We need to build the team (that we're building) and surprise the league to draw the attention of the next big free agent. Timing is everything. We can still build the team, and grow. We are in the positron to put together a team that can attract that star talent in hopefully 2-3 years from now IF ALL GOES RIGHT. Again, timing. If it does go well then we will qualify tomorrow, for the players that we didn't qualify for today. I know it's tempting and easy to get frustrated because Durant is a free agent right now. We will never attract a guy like Durant, let's face it. But we can attract some big name players that will help our developing core become NBA Finals contenders. The media hypes free agency up leaving fans of the Jazz frustrated, hostile and delusional. Outside of KD look at the free agents and what they would do for our team. I'm not taking away from their value, but are they guys that you really want to target. (Not saying these guys are invaluable)
Hassan Whiteside - talented big that has an ego and many questionable off the court decisions that tell you he will be an issue. That's with his current salary of less that $1 million per. Now imagine his of court drama when he had $25 million per for multiple years.
AL Horford - 30 years old averaging 17 ppg and shy of 8 reb per game, also seeking a 4 year contract. Good player, but we have better in Rudy Gobert.
Harrison Barnes- seeking max contact money, and that's insane because he doesn't deliver a max contact game. His finals numbers were horrific and he even though he'll become a good player, you don't pay this guy max money for a talent he's never displayed.
Joakim Noah- great player that will add immediate value. Downside is upcoming battle with father time and display of injuries.

And go into rebuild mode again? **** that noise. I'll take several good years of going deep into the playoffs vs. a chance in hell that we get a generational player at number 3.

Enes Kanter called and he's laughing his *** off.

How would it be rebuild mode? We would have everyone except Hayward. And we'd have the #3 pick. Hood showed he can do many of the same things as Hayward. It wouldn't be a rebuild. I'd take the slimmest of chances of winning a title over another string of playoff runs where we always come up short. We've been there and done that.

He may be laughing his *** off with a ring if Durant returns, so..

How would it be rebuild mode? We would have everyone except Hayward. And we'd have the #3 pick. Hood showed he can do many of the same things as Hayward. It wouldn't be a rebuild. I'd take the slimmest of chances of winning a title over another string of playoff runs where we always come up short. We've been there and done that.

I hear ya about Hood. And we might lose Gordon anyways so I see what you're saying. But Gordon is a hell of a player and I think if we get a little better play surrounding him he has shown that he can will us to wins. We just need other players to step up their game, and a little more talent. Hopefully Hill is a step in that direction and maybe another addition in free agency. Then with Rudy playing like a allstar and Exum improving on offense and monster D we will crush not just win.

The only way the Jazz lose Hay is if someone with a better situation offers him more money. The only team I see that happening is Boston.

Take your cry me a river **** elsewhere, Negative Nancy. The train's left the station and me, fish, Stoked and others are all aboard. Choo!!! Choo!!!!!!!!

And go into rebuild mode again? **** that noise.

You think a team of George hill, exum, hood, burks, favors, deng, gobert, lyles, mack, and the #3 pick, plus tons of cap space and future picks would be no good?

I think we would still make the playoffs.

We could also still add free agents like deng or whoever.... hell, he would see that he would be able to get more minutes and have a bigger role. So would batum, fornier, or whoever.

You think a team of George hill, exum, hood, burks, favors, deng, gobert, lyles, mack, and the #3 pick, plus tons of cap space and future picks would be no good?

I think we would still make the playoffs.

I think that team would be very good if Gobert, Exum and Lyles reach their potential, but Hayward is by far our best player and losing him would be a huge blow.

Hayward is by far our best player and losing him would be a huge blow.

I disagree with this.
I think he is our best player.... But not by much and could even see the argument of favors being better (though I would disagree).

And I think that #3 pick + bazemore/batum/deng/whoever + more touches and bigger roles for hood, burks, exum, favors, lyles and hill would soften the blow of losing Hayward so much that it would barely be felt.

And we would have much more money going forward to sign our own guys or any free agents we want + the chance (however small) that the #3 pick becomes better than Hayward anyway. (Or a top pick in next year's draft or whatever we could get for hayward becomes better than him)

But like I have always said.... I think we will also be very good if we keep Hayward. My point is just that I think that if we traded Hayward and then were aggressive and did well in free agency we would still be very good.

I disagree with this.
I think he is our best player.... But not by much and could even see the argument of favors being better (though I would disagree).

And I think that #3 pick + bazemore/batum/deng/whoever + more touches and bigger roles for hood, burks, exum, favors, lyles and hill would soften the blow of losing Hayward so much that it would barely be felt.

And we would have much more money going forward to sign our own guys or any free agents we want + the chance (however small) that the #3 pick becomes better than Hayward anyway. (Or a top pick in next year's draft or whatever we could get for hayward becomes better than him)

But like I have always said.... I think we will also be very good if we keep Hayward. My point is just that I think that if we traded Hayward and then were aggressive and did well in free agency we would still be very good.

How many times has Hayward put this team on his back vs. how many times Favors has... it's not even close. Maybe it would be a good move to trade him since I'm not at all convinced he will stick around, but I absolutely think he is by far our best player. Hopefully he wants to raise his kids here.