What's new

I could starve today/tonight and be a happy man...

Did anyone else catch these comments from Coach Guthrie as reported by Andy Larsen?

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44987749&ni...ghts-on-donovan-mitchells-record-setting-game

"This past year, we were a good defensive team, but we were a containment defensive team," Guthrie said. "We weren't a team that generated a lot of turnovers. For us to infuse Donovan Mitchell into that with his length and his skills is really something interesting."

It was something Dennis Lindsey already mentioned, that Mitchell and Rubio will be able to gamble on the perimeter because Rudy is standing behind them.

People worrying about the Jazz not scoring enough points without Hayward maybe don't account for how slow Hayward made the game on both ends.

More from Larsen...
The big question without Gordon Hayward on the roster is how will the Jazz score the ball? The defense should be as good as before, but the offense will need help. One source of that help might come from forcing more turnovers, thus getting out in transition more. That's especially true with Ricky Rubio, Dante Exum, and Mitchell on the team, all transition-oriented guards.

though I might add, that Alec Burks might also benefit from a faster pace and more wide open court.

Also, Locke reiterated today that Lindsey walked around to all the Jazz employees at Mitchell's work out and told them if they leaked info about how good he was, they would be fired.

I love you Mr. Lindsey.

I love Mitchell. Athletic, crazy about defense, gonna be a great shooter, and the best part I think someone else mentioned on another thread: KILLER INSTINCT. Wayward never did have that and probably never will.

DMitchell + Rudy = a more physical, competitive, hungry team. And that is never a bad thing.

I think we have our 2nd franchise player (he will be).
Now we just need an all-star quality player to be that 3rd guy.

Mitchell is going to push for playing time. And I think he gets it, probably at the expense of Jingles.

1 - Rubio 30; Mitchell 18
2 - Jingles 10; Dante 28; Mitchell 10
3 - Hood 30; Jingles 18
4 - Favs 17; JJ 25; Bolomboy 6
5 - Gobert 35; Favs 13

Just preliminary. I think DL gets a forward who changes the rotation numbers a bit. Probably fewer minutes for JJ and Bolomboy is back in the G League.

Let's not get ahead of ourself with 2nd franchise player 5-6 games into summer league. Lyles looked like the real deal last year and Vegas and look at the season he had.

Jazz see Hood as a 2, Jingles as 3 and Exum as a 1.
Then just swap the names. The 2/3 are interchangeable on offense. And Lindsey has said Exum plays better off the ball.

But the main point is that Quin's offense, at least last year, had multiple play makers. Much of the initiation came from Hayward. That can shift to the guards. So it really doesn't matter if Exum and Rubio play together, or if it's Mitchell and Dante.

For the future, something has to give because Mitchell WILL be a starter, probably next year. I think Hood either becomes a 3, or Mitchell starts at PG. So do you trade Dante and Rubio? Or does Hood get traded?

Let's not get ahead of ourself with 2nd franchise player 5-6 games into summer league. Lyles looked like the real deal last year and Vegas and look at the season he had.
Mitchell has ELITE skills. Lyles never had that (except for balance). Trey struggled in the Utah SL and was always known as a very poor defender.

You can bump this thread in 2 years. I have every bit the certainty as when DWill was drafted that the Jazz have found a franchise guard.

I see what you're saying. I'm always cautious about SL performances too. But this isn't the same as Lyles. Lyles put up big scoring totals and had games where his shooting was red hot. But a lot of the numbers felt empty. He took a lot of shots, just eye test wise he didn't look like a superior talent to everyone else on the floor, other than spot up shooting he didn't effect the game in any other way.

With Donovan it's different. You can see that he's a superior athlete to everyone else when he's on the floor. A man amongst boys. Offensively he's showing off a full repertiore. Catch and shoot, shoot off the dribble, iso moves, driving to the rim, drawing fouls. On defense it's the same thing. That's why I'm excited.

hoping the folks at P3 can get him more comfortable and explosive jumping off one foot. would help his drive game - particularly his ability to finish at the rim.

Not really partying but nice hotel and doing fun things.

Ah ok, if you want a 3-4 star hotel it's approx. USD60 per day. Nice food and stuff for the day should set you back another USD60 per day, that's like REALLY nice meals and drinks included. Then maybe allow another USD30 for touristy stuff.

So I would say $USD150 per day would give you a VERY comfortable trip.

I liked the way he steamrolled the big dude on his way to the basket.

The thing that I like is that he has no fear of anyone. He has no respect for the talents of anyone else on the opposing side and wants to tear them up and subjugate them. That is pretty damn extreme for freaking summer league. That type of aggression and focus is rare in an NBA player, and infinitely more rare in someone who can back it up. There is no ceiling on that type of player.

I've never been this excited about a rookie since GH's rookie year where he went ham against the Denver Nuggets during that last game. Funny how everything good happens against the Nuggets for the Jazz. lol

Wow. I still remember that Morrow's performance. Can't believe it's been that long since.

Utah Jazz‏Verified account @utahjazz 2m2 minutes ago
More
.@spidadmitchell's 37 points scored tonight in LVSL is the most since Anthony Morrow in 2009.

I think we have our 2nd franchise player (he will be).
Now we just need an all-star quality player to be that 3rd guy.

Mitchell is going to push for playing time. And I think he gets it, probably at the expense of Jingles.

1 - Rubio 30; Mitchell 18
2 - Jingles 10; Dante 28; Mitchell 10
3 - Hood 30; Jingles 18
4 - Favs 17; JJ 25; Bolomboy 6
5 - Gobert 35; Favs 13

Just preliminary. I think DL gets a forward who changes the rotation numbers a bit. Probably fewer minutes for JJ and Bolomboy is back in the G League.

Really?

You're annointing him already?

He seems to have a number of tools - both physical, mental and attitudinal.

But for those thinking he is better than Exum or has a higher ceiling probably need to consider that in basketball years he is probably older than Exum. This kid has been running teams his whole life, while Dante has been parked on the bench or in the corners.

I have hope for both.

To be honest though, I think DM development has more ramifications for Hood's and/or Jingles'futures.

To be honest though, I think DM development has more ramifications for Hood's and/or Jingles' futures.
Perhaps. I think it depends on whether Hood can play the 3.
Mitchell is going to get rotation minutes right away. But Dante has already said he wants to start at PG. That just isn't going to happen with Rubio on the roster. Can Quin convince Dante the team will start 2 PG's and have Dante and Rubio play together? That moves Hood to the 3 and Mitchell comes off the bench.

The 1/2 combo of the future could very well be Dante and Mitchell when Rubio's contract expires. That's 2 years down the road, so it's not inconceivable Mitchell still gets 30 mins/per but comes off the bench for now. Ingles, IMO, is better suited to a bench role. I actually like the idea of Mitchell being able to drive and kick it out to JJ or Ingles in the corners.

Ah ok, if you want a 3-4 star hotel it's approx. USD60 per day. Nice food and stuff for the day should set you back another USD60 per day, that's like REALLY nice meals and drinks included. Then maybe allow another USD30 for touristy stuff.

So I would say $USD150 per day would give you a VERY comfortable trip.

Remember that penicillin doesn't cure everything,
use prophylactics
and young prostitutes aren't always strictly legal or female.

The three Ps really...

Wow. I still remember that Morrow's performance. Can't believe it's been that long since.
The fact that morrow was the one that scored that many should make everyone take this with a grain of salt (sorry to be a party pooper)

How many all star games has morrow played in? Where is he now and what is his role?