What's new

I usually have a good idea how the Jazz offseason will play out...

jazzfan1971

Not so much this summer.

Right now I have zero idea what is going on in Dennis Lindsay's mind. I'm pretty sure resigning Hayward is job #1. But, after that ????

I can't even pick a direction.

I don't know what kind of player we'll target in trades, draft, free agency. I'm not even sure we are targeting anyone this year, but, maybe just being passive and letting offers come to us.

I really don't know if George Hill will be back. I assume the Jazz will try and retain him because we're pretty craptastic otherwise. But, if his salary moves too far north he becomes prohibitively expensive in my mind.

Do we continue to chase PGs in the draft? Try to move up? Down? Out? Look for a PF? Just take BPA? I have no idea.

Any of you have a feel for where the Jazz are putting their energies this offseason?

Agreed. Maxing Hayward is a no brainer, but beyond that it's a mystery. They will probably re-sign Hill if he can be had for a reasonable price, same with Ingles. But what is a "reasonable price" in the minds of Lindsay and the players? Not sure. And if I remember the numbers correctly it's possible the Jazz will try to shed some salary in order to sign a more marquee player. But which player? Again, not sure.

We are targeting Westbrook #1, CP3 #2, Paul George #3, Butler #4.

Anything less then that will be a disappointment an a disaster.

Call me a homer 1,000 times but I would be thrilled if we had the exact same roster next year other than dropping diaw and one other guy (withey, neto, or mack) and then adding 2 first round draft guys.

I figure if we just have an average number of injuries next year and we see improvement from lyles, exum, burks, favors, and hood (all five are young and it would almost be impossible for each of them not to improve considering that they were all about as bad as they will be in their entire careers this year) then I figure we will be closer to 60 wins than 50 and the #2 or #3 seed.

Only way I really want major roster changes is if we could get a real difference maker clear upgrade type guy. Basically an all star.

I really like the roster that Lindsey has assembled.

I am concerned that a few players have recurring injuries that will continue to hamper them even next year. Favors, Hill, Burks. If this is truly the case, get rid of or don't retain these players. While I like them, what good is a player that can't go when you need them even if they are trying their best?

If these nagging injuries can be truly gone, maybe it's a different story.

You forgot to mention Rodney.

And I think Alec has crossed the line from nagging to chronic. The jazz probably went to move on, but Alec's contract might prevent them.

I'd be perfectly happy with:

Stay: Hayward, Hill, Ingles.

Go: Mack, Withey, Burks, Diaw (happy if he comes back on a different deal).

Sign: Bogut, Bosh (complicated contract situation).

Trade fodder: Lyles.

Crazy-but-not-so-crazy trade idea: Alec Burke for Trevor Booker.

If Hill leaves: Deron Williams. (How much does Patty Mills cost? We could have 4 Aussies.)

I think the development of Exum and Bolomboy is key for contention. If those two end up being solid players, having their athleticism coupled with Rudy and Hayward would be insane.

Id sign FA gallinari and draft frank mason

Re-signing Hayward is definitely #1 on the list. And I 100% expect it to happen.

Beyond that I expect Dennis to be aggressive in attempting to bring in a marquee name next to Rudy and Gordon and really make a run at a championship going forward. This off season is our best chance at a big move before our cap situation makes it difficult to manuever. With Hayward and Hill free agents we have the opportunity to sign someone on a max before re-signing Hayward. We also have the pieces to trade for a marquee name if free agency doesn't work out. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him target someone like Chris Paul in free agency or maybe Paul George or Brook Lopez in trade.

Standing pat and killing our cap is my worst fear.

Last edited:
I like some of these ideas (although it's mostly older players):

Gallinari - Hayward can be the two, Gallinari the 3. Gallinari >>> Hood.
D-will - this is a polarizing player for Jazz fans, but I think he would be a good fit and replacement if we lose Hill
Bogut - If we lose Diaw, Bogut would be a good replacement. Good passer, plays better D than Diaw.

Re-signing Hayward is definitely #1 on the list. And I 100% expect it to happen.

Beyond that I expect Dennis to be aggressive in attempting to bring in a marquee name next to Rudy and Gordon and really make a run at a championship going forward. This off season is our best chance at a big move before our cap situation makes it difficult to manuever. With Hayward and Hill free agents we have the opportunity to sign someone on a max before re-signing Hayward. We also have the pieces to trade for a marquee name if free agency doesn't work out.

Standing pat and killing our cap is my worst fear.

I am not anywhere near 100% confident that Hayward comes back. If DL could land aN All star or borderline All star with pucks and players on draft night my confidence would go up considerably(Jimmy Butler somehow?). How much more money can we offer Hayward? Objectively is Utah his best chance at winning and deep playoff runs? Could he be looking at lucrative endorsement deals elsewhere?

Utah has a strong case with Rudy and the opportunity for GH to become a franchise player but it's not a slam dunk.

An interesting potential option if Hayward really wants out (I'm so about to get crucified from so many angles) is a dual sign and trade GH for Griffin.

I dont know what he is thinking but i hope he will resign Hayward and get one more really good player instead of Hill.

Hayward ain't going anywhere.

I think our salary situation prevents us from adding a big salary player like a gallanari. It may prevent this from even retaining George Hill.

I am leaning towards Hayward opting in to the final year of his contract. That seems to be the smart move for him financially and still gives him a chance to leave if things dont go well.

After that I hope Jazz go after another big name player. I hope we look at trading for Butler or George. If neither of those works out I would be okay with us looking into some other players such as Galinari. Gali could also play some stretch 4 for us.

Most of FA depend on if we make trades.

I hope we let Hill walk unless he comes back at a really good deal. I want Exum to start and then us get a backup for him that can start if he isnt quite ready but can move over if he is. I think Dwill could possibly fit that role but there are others.

I want us to go after a backup 4 that could possibly start if Favors isnt ready. I think Patrick Patterson from Raptors is a guy we could get for cheap for that role. Plus he is a decent three point shooter at 37% this year and plays well all around.

I want us to get a better backup center. Either someone that is more of a poor mans Gobert or someone that is more of a strong bruiser type center. I think Javale could be the poor man Gobert option although he is probably going to cost too much.

We are in a great spot though, we dont have to make big trades or FA signings but we also can if something good comes along. We have assets to make trades but we are looking good even if we basically stand still and just fill in some holes with FAs. We could make a huge jump next year if we just get a healthy Favors back and have better luck all around with health.

Sign Hayward

Trade Burks for scrap and a roster spot

Re-sign Hill or go after someone like CP3 if available

Re-sign Ingles if the asking price is within reason.

Work on the PF position which is probably the trickiest situation. Favors? Can you trust him? Lyle's? Is any good? Bolomboy? What has he really done yet?

Find another Joe Johnson, Trevor Booker, Joe Ingles type gem.

Sent from my XT1609 using JazzFanz mobile app

Re-sign Hayward.

Let Mack walk.

Inquire about re-signing Hill, but let Hill walk.

Try to re-sign Ingles, but let him walk of the price is too high.

Trade Favors for Bledsoe or Rubio on draft day.

Pursue Galinari or Gay in free agency.

Extend Exum and Hood.

Draft three young players, trade one extra pick.