What's new

I wanna get a motorcycle

Riding a bike isn't any more dangerous than a car if you educate yourself and wear proper gear.
********. You're completely exposed. I'd rather be rear-ended in a car than on a bike.
Saltair's Finest said:
there are good ways to learn how to ride safely and there arent many things u can do in life that give you the feeling of riding a bike going 120 on the open road.
uh...

********. You're completely exposed. I'd rather be rear-ended in a car than on a bike.
uh...

dude don't act Like people who ride bikes Dont Know the dangers of it. there are good ways to learn how to ride safelyand there arent many things u can do in life that give you the feeling of riding a bike going 120on the open road. everyone knows the risk involved i think and if they dont and dont ride smart and safe and they get hurt its there Fault.

Good catch. Someone isn't the sharpest knife in the...place where they keep knives.

ChopperBigDogStudio.jpg

Much more my style

Ha ha ha I see what you mean. When I go that fast im on a bike that can go a lot faster then that and 120 is real fast and illegal but still a safe speed on that Bike if you know how to ride.

As a long time motorcyclist, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. 120 could be a safe speed to an experienced rider on a clear stretch of road, if there were no possibility of unforeseen obstacles. However, outside of a maintained race course, this isn't the case, and when something pops up in your path, the faster you are going, the less time you have to safely react.

P1000163.jpg

P1000168.jpg

This is my 2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100 classic. I've had it for 7 years, and I love it, but I'm one of those motorcycle guys who would probably recommend to a lot of people not to get one, depending on your circumstances. It's definately a decision you should put a lot of thought into, as one mistake could get you killed or maimed for life. You should also consider that this decision could ruin the quality of life for your wife, or whoever else it might be that has to take care of you if you get maimed. In other words, if you are going to own one, put some heavy thought into who else's life could get ruined if something happens.

I could probably write a book on this, but for now, I'm just going to post a few thoughts on who probably shouldn't own a bike. For instance, if you're a college student who's also working part time, and you seem to be 5 minutes late wherever you go, and you're often riding in heavy traffic like in SLC, DO NOT get a bike because it's a good way to save on gas. You're an accident waiting to happen.

If you're a fan of the trick/stunt rider guys popping wheelies at 70 MPH, and you think that would be cool, for the love of God, don't buy a bike.

Now, if you're not someone who's always rushing around to try to be on time, and you have a proper respect and understanding that it only takes a split second to change the rest of your life, then owning a motorcycle can be a lot of fun, great on gas, and easy to find parking, etc., etc.

P1000151.jpg

P1000170.jpg

Also, if you decide you are going to buy one, I would strongly recommend buying used. Look for one that's several years old with low mileage. One of the greatest things about motorcycles, is that you can find one that is basically almost new, and pay maybe 1/3 or 1/4 the price.

Last edited:
P1000170.jpg

Also, if you decide you are going to buy one, I would strongly recommend buying used. Look for one that's several years old with low mileage. One of the greatest things about motorcycles, is that you can find one that is basically almost new, and pay maybe 1/3 or 1/4 the price.

thats a great looking Bike man!

P1000163.jpg

P1000168.jpg

This is my 2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100 classic. I've had it for 7 years, and I love it, but I'm one of those motorcycle guys who would probably recommend to a lot of people not to get one, depending on your circumstances. It's definately a decision you should put a lot of thought into, as one mistake could get you killed or maimed for life. You should also consider that this decision could ruin the quality of life for your wife, or whoever else it might be that has to take care of you if you get maimed. In other words, if you are going to own one, put some heavy thought into who else's life could get ruined if something happens.

I could probably write a book on this, but for now, I'm just going to post a few thoughts on who probably shouldn't own a bike. For instance, if you're a college student who's also working part time, and you seem to be 5 minutes late wherever you go, and you're often riding in heavy traffic like in SLC, DO NOT get a bike because it's a good way to save on gas. You're an accident waiting to happen.

If you're a fan of the trick/stunt rider guys popping wheelies at 70 MPH, and you think that would be cool, for the love of God, don't buy a bike.

Now, if you're not someone who's always rushing around to try to be on time, and you have a proper respect and understanding that it only takes a split second to change the rest of your life, then owning a motorcycle can be a lot of fun, great on gas, and easy to find parking, etc., etc.
I am a full time student and I almost work full-time hours, but Im not always rushing places and Im usually fine on time. I just wanted it for weekends mostly and maybe somedays of the week while I use a car for the rest. Should I not get one..?

I am a full time student and I almost work full-time hours, but Im not always rushing places and Im usually fine on time. I just wanted it for weekends mostly and maybe somedays of the week while I use a car for the rest. Should I not get one..?

I thought you might be a working student, so that's why I used that example. Not bad at reading minds, eh?;) I wouldn't necessarily say you shouldn't get one, but I wanted to make the point of whether or not safety becomes a second thought when riding. In other words, if your mind is on where you're supposed to be, and you're running late, I think it makes for a bad situation for riding a motorcycle, especially if you add in the fact that you're likely to be riding in some dangerous traffic. Definatley not a position you should put yourself in on a regular basis. If it's mainly for weekends, or even if you want to ride it during the week quite a bit, I just suggest that you always try and monitor yourself on whether or not you're riding in a way that could get you hurt. Sometimes people are cautious for a while when they first get a bike, but once they get more comfortable with it, they become complacent. You have to always be aware of things like that.

I bought my first bike when I was 16 years old. I bought another one a year later, and then sold both when I was 19, after a few close calls. I loved riding, and I hated selling them, but after the last close call I had, I just had a feeling that I was pushing my luck. I was the type to drive aggressively, and I just had a feeling it was time to sell them. I didn't buy another one until I was in my thirties, and I'm a completely different rider now. I've put about 18,000 miles on my bike in about 7 years. When I ride, it's almost always when I have nowhere to go, so my mind is always on the ride, and the other people on the road who are trying to kill me. As long as your mind is in the right place, and you don't think you're bullet proof, owning a bike doesn't necessarily have to be a death wish.

The most important thing I think any motorcycle owner should remember, is to always listen to that little voice in your head if something just doesn't feel right. That might sound funny to some people, but I honestly believe that kind of thing can keep you out of trouble.

Also, another thing I think you should avoid like the plague, is riding with friends who ride recklessly. Say you're in your early 20s, and you've got a friend or two with crotch rockets. I would say most of the time when kids cruize around in packs, it makes for a situation where you're not paying as much attention as you should to the road. If you can't avoid riding with friends who ride recklessly, then you're better off just not getting a bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIUTXIsJz3o

If you don't drive like this, then you're not a man.

What's a good bullet bike for a beginner?

Ninja 250 is always a sure bet. It has a higher, more comfortable riding stance than your traditional Sport bike, not too much power but still enough to learn on and they get great gas mileage. The best part? You're almost guaranteed to be able to re-sell it for a good price, possibly even break even because its a sought after bike for beginners. I started on a Suzuki GS500F which was perfect for me.

Not all of us pull wheelies going 70 on public roads or ride down the freeway in flip flops, no helmet, shorts and a wife beater with chick sunglasses on.
Nothing wrong with stunting. People automatically assume we're all hoodlums.
29931_1389190403040_6039024_n.jpg

271905_2023189012609_295830_o.jpg

It's fun and extremely challenging. I'll do it until I can't climb onto a bike anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMxf1UpbdiM&feature=plcp