What's new

If Gobert and Mitchell both return, I'll watch the games and cheer

Like I said, I can VERY easily pick apart all the things that can go wrong with tanking. But I don’t think I need to make up incredibly odd scenarios that inform my option.

Don and Rudy are not flawless, but every team has flaws. You don’t have to be perfect to win a championship, and the Jazz don’t need to execute perfectly to compete for a title. I think the Jazz have been far from perfect and far from average as well. They’ve don’t a horrific job at building around their two stars….and despite all of that, I’m still of the option that they should have been able to compete with all the teams remaining. I don’t look at this team and feel like they played their best.

If the Jazz were just a little bit better, be it with coaching, drafting, trades, signings they would be a much better team. I’m not looking at pie in the sky scenarios. I’m looking at simply being average and making the obvious moves. And no…I do not believe the Jazz tried to make these moves. If Tony Jones says they were looking for a wing, that’s not good enough for me to say “they tried everything “ when the exact types of players we needed are being traded around for free.

I’d be hypocrite to say that the Jazz have made terrible moves, but also say that Don-Rudy has run its course. Like stitches said, Don-Rudy are not the weakness of this team. They are the cornerstones. Do better around them.

I know the situation between Don and Rudy is tenuous. They aren’t perfect on or off the court. But if we’re not willing to even try to win with two star players in their prime on long term deals…what’s the point? It’s extremely difficult to be in this position and I won’t take it for granted. As long as they’re here, I’d do my best to win with them.
They did try… they couldn’t get anyone better than Gay to take their money… we don’t get any of the misses back so stating their failures does no good.

The obvious deal getting Powell and RoCo would help but they weren’t willing to add a first or make the financial commitment… what changes now? That would have been an easy deal to do but would have required a first… and we still lose to Dallas.

The three best chances to make a conference finals have all passed the road will get harder… if you think injuries are “odd” then you can expect the conference to be much stronger as Kawhi, Murray, Porter Jr., Dame are all coming back. Reality is one or more team may be hurt and it might be us this time… I don’t expect Donovan and Rudy to go their whole careers without a 6 month or full year absence at some point. Injuries are common and will be catastrophic to their trade value.

We all think this team was super close… in reality they had a few elements that made them statistical fools gold… good but not contender good. I mean their best year came during a pandemic when arenas were empty and teams were staring all g league lineups.

We are also starting this year down one two way wing from past years. Joe was the death blow for this squad… there were a thousand little cuts but that one ended us.

If Donovan was willing to give us five years to complete a retool then spend one more year trying with Rudy I guess and get young on the wing and hope a couple guys develop. Rudy has like 1-2 more years in his prime if we are lucky… his drop off could be steep and it’s a wonder he’s been as healthy as he has.

Donovan plus Rudy and some average 3 and D wings will get us to the 7/8 seed next year… it’s over.

If we retool we will end up looking like the blazers… look at all the deck chairs they rearranged… the lost each deal by a little and now very well could be worse…

If we retool we will end up looking like the blazers… look at all the deck chairs they rearranged… the lost each deal by a little and now very well could be worse…

Maybe, could also turn out really good like Boston. They were horrid to start the year, major chemistry issues, and many including some in their fan base were calling for major changes. Trade one the J’s….Well you know what, they stuck with it for a bit. They made some small changes in personnel and major changes in attitude. They bought into a new coach and now they are favorites to win the whole thing.

Things can go good or bad whatever path you choose. If I’m a good FO and I believe I can make good decisions, I’m taking that opportunity to build on Rudy and Don over tanking immediately….which once again can happen at any time.

The Jazz weren’t willing to put things on the table. Didn’t want to trade Bogey, Conley, Clarkson etc. If they weren’t willing to do that they weren’t really trying. Jazz had massive issues that were very obvious and had years to address them. There was either no attempt to make these obvious trades, or they didn’t think change always necessary. The result was the same either way, a massive failure in judgement.

This idea that we get worse with players that actually fit around Mitchell+Gobert is insane to me. Of course we would be better with a real roster that makes sense and a coach with real playoff strategy. If you don’t think we would be better, you must also believe that the Jazz made good decisions. Can’t have it both ways. Either the Jazz made the right decisions and maxed out or they made poor decisions and left potential on the table. I don’t think the Jazz get worse by making small positive deals, I think they get a lot better.

If we’re not confident enough to build a team around Don+Rudy, I have no idea why you’d be confident in them building a team from scratch and tanking. I’m not going to be the guy who has the super optimistic view one way but not the other. Getting Don+Rudy out of the tanking process would be very lucky and take several years. Making average moves around Don+Rudy is a reasonable expectation, and if failure comes the tanking option is still there. Rudy’s value may drop, I think Don’s does not change and is more likely to increase as was the case with other disgruntled stars.

Maybe, could also turn out really good like Boston. They were horrid to start the year, major chemistry issues, and many including some in their fan base were calling for major changes. Trade one the J’s….Well you know what, they stuck with it for a bit. They made some small changes in personnel and major changes in attitude. They bought into a new coach and now they are favorites to win the whole thing.

Things can go good or bad whatever path you choose. If I’m a good FO and I believe I can make good decisions, I’m taking that opportunity to build on Rudy and Don over tanking immediately….which once again can happen at any time.

The Jazz weren’t willing to put things on the table. Didn’t want to trade Bogey, Conley, Clarkson etc. If they weren’t willing to do that they weren’t really trying. Jazz had massive issues that were very obvious and had years to address them. There was either no attempt to make these obvious trades, or they didn’t think change always necessary. The result was the same either way, a massive failure in judgement.

This idea that we get worse with players that actually fit around Mitchell+Gobert is insane to me. Of course we would be better with a real roster that makes sense and a coach with real playoff strategy. If you don’t think we would be better, you must also believe that the Jazz made good decisions. Can’t have it both ways. Either the Jazz made the right decisions and maxed out or they made poor decisions and left potential on the table. I don’t think the Jazz get worse by making small positive deals, I think they get a lot better.

If we’re not confident enough to build a team around Don+Rudy, I have no idea why you’d be confident in them building a team from scratch and tanking. I’m not going to be the guy who has the super optimistic view one way but not the other. Getting Don+Rudy out of the tanking process would be very lucky and take several years. Making average moves around Don+Rudy is a reasonable expectation, and if failure comes the tanking option is still there. Rudy’s value may drop, I think Don’s does not change and is more likely to increase as was the case with other disgruntled stars.
Boston????? You mean the team that built their squad doing EXACTLY what I am advocating.

They aren’t even comparable to us… ask 30 GMs if they’d rather build around Tatum and Brown or Rudy and Donovan…. You’d get 30 votes for Tatum and Brown. They were maybe considering a pivot but have like 5-6 two way players and their stars include one top ten player and both guys offer extreme lineup flexibility. They also have a bunch of young prospects still growing and had all their picks so we’re able to add a guy by sending out a late first. They had their solutions on their roster… do we? They have all of their picks do we? They had more cap flexibility do we? They have like 4-5 position flexible pieces do we?

It’s not even close.

Also this corner you think I’m painted into either thinking they did the right thing not trying to improve over Bogey Mike and others or that I agree they were right is super weird and ignores the actual truth of what happened… they canvassed the league and found what they could get was worse than what they had. Bogey and Mike do actually complement Donovan and Rudy… on offense. So sending them out for players that are lateral or backwards moves is dumb AF. That’s what happened. Maybe Mike wasn’t out there but I’m guessing if Ainge could have gotten smart for Conley and a pick he’d have done that.

Also we’ve had a lot of the same issues for years… not months… Boston hit a rough patch in the schedule and needed to get rid of Schroeder… it’s a ****** comparison.