What's new

If it's farewell Rudy, why I'll die just a little inside.

ShortShorts

First, let's start off with the fact I also love Donovan Mitchell and would love to keep him also. But if we lose Rudy a part of me will die just a little. I consider him the third greatest Jazz man of all time.

If we lose Rudy we lose a ton that is obvious but also a bunch of intangibles:

* one of the top 5-10 greatest Defensive players to ever play the game, I think there are few if any teams in the current NBA you add Rudy to and they aren't playoff bound - his ability to defensively impact an opposing team (team NOT individual player) is unparalleled in the current league
* playoff intensity - people complain he gets "exposed" in the playoffs - advanced stats show the opposite - he has huge positive impact. It's the fact we have four average to poor defenders with him that gets exposed in the playoffs - not his defense.
* love of the franchise - this man has loved playing for Utah, he may not have the charisma of Spida but hell I'll never forget "these hoes ain't loyal" and I think he has really lived to that mantra despite getting a little less limelight with the rise of Spida, in fact if I had to guess, the reason Quin left had at least a substantial amount to do with the undervaluing of Rudy's game which Quin absolutely helped craft and loved
* offensive impact - if Donovan (and others) put half the effort into D as Rudy puts into O we'd be a different team - last years epic offense more often than not started with a meticulously laid Rudy screen, plus throw in the threat of O rebounds and the gravity he creates and he more than makes up for the limitations that YES he does have, but if he was even slightly gifted with 60% of what current C offensive talents (think Jokic, Embiid, Towns) have, he'd be a top 5 player all time, I just don't expect that from him. The man works his ever-living *** off on both ends of the court - that is insanely rare and massively underappreciated
* trade return - because a lot of what is valuable about Gobert, as laid out in the previous points, is so unsexy but so impactful, I fear any return we get for him will be undrewhelming and disproportionate in the wrong direction - just look at the most oft used advance stats over the past 6 years, Rudy is consistently in the top 20 in them all and has been over that span - the only other players with that level of advanced stat impact over time are lock HOFers - Lebron, Jokic, Giannis, Durant, Curry, etc
* love of the game - as a fan, growing up as a kid with Stockton and Malone I loved to be able to talk about talents that were with us forever, I would love to see Rudy have the same - maybe not every year of his career but a greater span - its the kind of fan I am
* the potential for it all to come together - I'm still a believer that with the right combo ( a few mid-tier two way wings) the Don-Rudy combo is perfect - if they could somehow learn to respect what each other brings (maybe the right coach, I know so damn hard to control diva personalities these days) those two are incredibly natural complements
* I'm a believer that as he hits 30 his game is one that can age OK - I think there's a strong change he stays nearly top form through this big contract

Anyway, with many signs pointing to a potential farewell, I just wanted to throw my hat in that I'd love to keep him. And hope we find a way.

TLDR; Rudy is the 3rd best player we've ever had. Gonna hate to see that go.

Completely agree. Rudy is Utah. And just to add to your remarks about his offense: I get as frustrated as anyone with his lack of offensive moves, ball fumbling etc., but if you feed him for just a couple of extra dunks, he’s the most efficient 20ppg in the league.

First, let's start off with the fact I also love Donovan Mitchell and would love to keep him also. But if we lose Rudy a part of me will die just a little. I consider him the third greatest Jazz man of all time.

If we lose Rudy we lose a ton that is obvious but also a bunch of intangibles:

* one of the top 5-10 greatest Defensive players to ever play the game, I think there are few if any teams in the current NBA you add Rudy to and they aren't playoff bound - his ability to defensively impact an opposing team (team NOT individual player) is unparalleled in the current league
* playoff intensity - people complain he gets "exposed" in the playoffs - advanced stats show the opposite - he has huge positive impact. It's the fact we have four average to poor defenders with him that gets exposed in the playoffs - not his defense.
* love of the franchise - this man has loved playing for Utah, he may not have the charisma of Spida but hell I'll never forget "these hoes ain't loyal" and I think he has really lived to that mantra despite getting a little less limelight with the rise of Spida, in fact if I had to guess, the reason Quin left had at least a substantial amount to do with the undervaluing of Rudy's game which Quin absolutely helped craft and loved
* offensive impact - if Donovan (and others) put half the effort into D as Rudy puts into O we'd be a different team - last years epic offense more often than not started with a meticulously laid Rudy screen, plus throw in the threat of O rebounds and the gravity he creates and he more than makes up for the limitations that YES he does have, but if he was even slightly gifted with 60% of what current C offensive talents (think Jokic, Embiid, Towns) have, he'd be a top 5 player all time, I just don't expect that from him. The man works his ever-living *** off on both ends of the court - that is insanely rare and massively underappreciated
* trade return - because a lot of what is valuable about Gobert, as laid out in the previous points, is so unsexy but so impactful, I fear any return we get for him will be undrewhelming and disproportionate in the wrong direction - just look at the most oft used advance stats over the past 6 years, Rudy is consistently in the top 20 in them all and has been over that span - the only other players with that level of advanced stat impact over time are lock HOFers - Lebron, Jokic, Giannis, Durant, Curry, etc
* love of the game - as a fan, growing up as a kid with Stockton and Malone I loved to be able to talk about talents that were with us forever, I would love to see Rudy have the same - maybe not every year of his career but a greater span - its the kind of fan I am
* the potential for it all to come together - I'm still a believer that with the right combo ( a few mid-tier two way wings) the Don-Rudy combo is perfect - if they could somehow learn to respect what each other brings (maybe the right coach, I know so damn hard to control diva personalities these days) those two are incredibly natural complements
* I'm a believer that as he hits 30 his game is one that can age OK - I think there's a strong change he stays nearly top form through this big contract

Anyway, with many signs pointing to a potential farewell, I just wanted to throw my hat in that I'd love to keep him. And hope we find a way.

TLDR; Rudy is the 3rd best player we've ever had. Gonna hate to see that go.
Well I can’t disagree with you. I’d also have to list him in the top three. He’s gotten us so many games we don’t win without his incredible defensive effort. Beyond that I for one always got a big charge out of his goofy sense of humor. He seems like a seriously good person.

That being said, as much as we may choose to deny it, the well is poisoned. Monson wrote a big article about how this whole mutinous act has to be impacting the big fella. How could he give his best effort here after all of this? And teammates involved.

And for too many folks he’s become the scape goat. “Rudy shut down the league (covid), Rudy is the reason we can’t win in the playoffs, etc., etc.!” That never goes away. I say free the big fella!!! Let him live his best life. Give him a shot at a ring! I know I’ll still be rooting for him!

Last edited:
Agreed. Rudy loves Utah and Utah loves Rudy. Always very painful to let a guy like that go. Particularly if that means we are going to pander to someone who does not feel that wa
If somehow Rudy sticks around through all of this and moves forward with the same attitude he has had in the past he could become the next statute. Donny has the talent but no way does he stick around.

Gonna miss Rudy for sure if he goes. I hope we get rid of Donovan instead.

Its looking like the net value of a return for Rudy is not going to be enough because the value of big men is trending downwards. He is one of the best defensive players in NBA history but still gets no respect. If this means he plays his entire career here Im okay with that.

I can't imagine being Rudy and feeling committed to the team at all. After all of the trade talk and then having the new coach talk about building around Donovan and no mention of you. If I were Rudy I would be putting up stats this year and not worrying about playing team basketball. As much as I would hate to see Rudy go, I wonder if the bridge has already been burned.

I can't imagine being Rudy and feeling committed to the team at all. After all of the trade talk and then having the new coach talk about building around Donovan and no mention of you. If I were Rudy I would be putting up stats this year and not worrying about playing team basketball. As much as I would hate to see Rudy go, I wonder if the bridge has already been burned.
Id never pass lol. Every DHO is turning into a jump shot til they trade me lmao