What's new

Interesting way to balance the budget...

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
President Barack Obama's budget plan would cut $100 billion from Pell Grants and other higher education programs over a decade through belt-tightening and use the savings to keep the maximum college financial aid award at $5,550, an administration official said.

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110213/ap_on_re_us/us_obama_pell_grants

What interests me is the pork that will inevitably be attached to this proposal (and the package being put together to reduce federal spending in general). All too often it ends up moving money into pork-barrel projects instead of actually cutting government waste. Ultimately will Pell grants go the way of Social Security?

I don't support austerity because I think it's purely political theatre and not going to solve the problem, but I'm all for sucking government money out of higher education generally, and allowing tuition prices to fall and find a truer equilibrium point; however, the government also controls the loan side of the equation as well and will probably just transfer the debt from public to individual hands by allowing more consumer debt and prices will continue to rise so I can't really support that angle of it either.

Last edited:
Instead of quibbling over whose funding to cut, we should hold a lottery.

Every budget item assigned a number from one to ten, and every civil servant assigned a number from one to ten. Put ten numbered balls in a cylinder, spin it a while, and have a blindfolded beauty contest winner pull out one ball. Every budget item and every civil servant with than number is unfunded, including the "benefits/retirement". It's happening in the private sector, it's called downsizing/rationalizing the debt burden.

Do this annually. In about fifteen or twenty years we'll have a government we can manage, and two coins in our pocket that we can rub together.

Wish there was an off topic thread....

Anyway:

SOURCE

I pay my wife to do my laundry

By J.D. RothFebruary 11, 2011: 10:37 AM ET

J.D. Roth was a regular guy who found himself deep in debt. He turned his life around, learned about money and finance, and started the Get Rich Slowly blog. He lives in Portland, Oregon, with his wife and four cats.

When I was a boy, my parents fought about money. Often. And loudly. Each accused the other of being financially irresponsible. (Both were right.) They had joint finances, but it didn't matter -- they couldn't keep the checkbook balanced.

My wife and I have been together for 22 years and married for 17. In that time, we've never fought about money. Not once.

Like all couples, we have arguments now and then, but they're not about our finances. (They're often about how much of a slob I am!) We've had separate accounts from the beginning.

Some people find this strange. They feel that keeping separate finances fundamentally undermines the nature of marriage. But it's one of the best things we've ever done. This system works for us because:

• We have no children.

• Our salaries have always been roughly equivalent.

• We've found a way to split household bills evenly.

To keep things running smoothly, we've made many small negotiations over the years. Because I like to dine out more than Kris does, for instance, I pay for most of our restaurant meals. In return, she pays for most of the groceries.

Spending fast: I paid off $18,000 in a year

Or, since I'm a procrastinator, Kris buys all of the cards and gifts for our friends. And because I have a bad habit of bringing home cats, I pay most of the pet-related expenses.

We've made dozens of small financial arrangements in our marriage, but it's our laundry agreement that amuses everyone we know.

As I mentioned, I'm a slob. Despite my best intentions, I leave a mess wherever I go. As a result, Kris and I have made some compromises to keep us both happy.

Long ago, for instance, we hired a housekeeper to come in for a few hours every two weeks. Some people are shocked by this -- "That's not frugal!" they exclaim -- but hiring a housekeeper was a small price for marital harmony.

No surprise then that I'm not good with laundry. Left alone, I wouldn't wash my clothes until I'd worn everything I own at least once. How do I know? Because that's how I used to operate.

I had mounds of dirty clothes in the laundry baskets, but nothing clean in my closets and drawers. Once every month or two, I'd spend a day doing massive loads of laundry. I hated it. So did Kris.

Sometimes, I'd start a load...and then forget about it. When Kris went to do her own laundry several days later, she'd discover my damp and mildewed clothes still in the washer. (That's the sort of thing we fight about in our marriage.)

Eventually, Kris came to me with a proposal. "J.D.," she said. "I'll do your laundry, but on one condition."

"What's that?" I asked, fearing it'd be something dreadful. Like cleaning the bathtub every week. Or mopping the floors. Or eating broccoli.

"In exchange, you have to put gas in my car whenever it's empty," she said.

I tried to stifle a laugh. "No problem!" I said.

"And you have to pay for that gas," Kris said.

"Ah," I said.

I thought about it. Because she doesn't drive often, her car only needs gas once a month. At that time -- in 1996 -- my cost would be about $15 per month, which seemed plenty fair, especially since I didn't mind the chore at all.

"I'll do it," I said.

And for the past fifteen years, we've maintained this arrangement. Kris does my laundry, and I put fuel in her car. It works well for both of us.

My parents have always had separate checking accounts when I was growing up...though, they had each others names on the account. My Dad took care of certain bills and my Mom took care of others.

Wish there was an off topic thread....

Anyway:

SOURCE

My parents have always had separate checking accounts when I was growing up...though, they had each others names on the account. My Dad took care of certain bills and my Mom took care of others.

That's the way my wife and I operate. Her record-keeping (or should I say lack of) drives me crazy. She never writes anything down. I'd be scared to death if she were handling the monthly bills, credit card payments, etc. No telling how many payments would be late and when the water, electricity and phone would be cut off. So she pays the food and child-related costs and a few others and we share an AMEX account that I pay out of my checking account and then collect her portion.

Yes, our names are both on everything, but it's pretty separate except for that one AMEX account we both use.

Hasn't Obama been vomiting the phrase "investing in education" over the past month or so? Me so confused.

Is the thread title meant to be a joke or something? Balance the budget... lol, just lol.

No, it is what is posited in the article. I simply paraphrased for your amusement franky. =)

Until I see the Demoncrats or the Republicants reduce military and/or Social Security/Medicade spending all other budget cuts are nothing but superficial.

Hasn't Obama been vomiting the phrase "investing in education" over the past month or so? Me so confused.

a big perk of being an imperialist warhawk is that you can vomit everywhere all the time and nobody will hold you accountable, really, you should try running a corporate oligarchy someday, you can literally say anything and the few people who care can't do a golddarn thing about it

What interests me is the pork that will inevitably be attached to this proposal (and the package being put together to reduce federal spending in general). All too often it ends up moving money into pork-barrel projects instead of actually cutting government waste. Ultimately will Pell grants go the way of Social Security?

Maybe. Maybe not. This is really all just about political poisitioning.

Obama is trying to present a budget to the public that says he's willing to work with Congress and make tough choices. The expectation is the republicans will counter with either Obama is wrong or didn't go far enough while not touching their own projects and promoting their own pork thereby making them look disingenuous to the public.

Essentially this is 1994 all over again. I doubt Boehner will be a dumb as Newt and shut down the government, which would probably result in catapulting Obama into a second term like they did (in part) with Clinton; but who knows.

Maybe. Maybe not. This is really all just about political poisitioning.

Obama is trying to present a budget to the public that says he's willing to work with Congress and make tough choices. The expectation is the republicans will counter with either Obama is wrong or didn't go far enough while not touching their own projects and promoting their own pork thereby making them look disingenuous to the public.

Essentially this is 1994 all over again. I doubt Boehner will be a dumb as Newt and shut down the government, which would probably result in catapulting Obama into a second term like they did (in part) with Clinton; but who knows.

I don't know if that's a real word, but I like it regardless. Poisoning by positioning should be the gold standard in describing politicians. Great Freudian slip, Candrew.

Does your poly-sci view mean we might actually freeze or, gasp, cut military spending a couple of pennies?

I don't know if that's a real word, but I like it regardless. Poisoning by positioning should be the gold standard in describing politicians. Great Freudian slip, Candrew.

Are your genitals that small that you have to use an entire paragraph to point out one typo?

Obama's ears>franklin's package

franklin's package>candrew's package

You son of a bitch!

Please come to poker night and confirm in person. By the way, I sent a few pictures of you around ;). You're currently making dreams come true. Next week I'm sending the real pics and spilling the beans that you're a dude. It's gonna be great fun.

You son of a bitch!

Please come to poker night and confirm in person. By the way, I sent a few pictures of you around ;). You're currently making dreams come true. Next week I'm sending the real pics and spilling the beans that you're a dude. It's gonna be great fun.

Are there really beans to spill about this?