What's new

"Invisible" bike "helmet"

I saw that the other day and thought that the product looked even more uncomfortable than a helmet. Creative, though.

I'd love to see a big crash in a Tour de France type bike race and see a million of those things popping open.

I saw that the other day and thought that the product looked even more uncomfortable than a helmet. Creative, though.

To get them into our country. . . . they will need to get our bureaucrats to re-write their specifications for bike helmets, which will be, of course, resisted. Lobbyist heaven. It'll take years. It'll cost millions. well, I hope not.

But that's why I generally more or less favor a draconian policy of requiring all government employees to participate in a "Russian Roulette Lottery" . . . .If you care so much to serve the people, you have to care enough to put your life on the line once a year. Or. . . . well. . . . your job.

So the lottery works like this: one in ten balls in a tumbler, with some kind of mark or number inside. . . you have to take one, and if your's has the mark your job is eliminated from the payroll. If you think it's a job that has to be done, you get the option of keeping your job at some risk to your life. . . oh, say a one-in-six risk of death. If someone else thinks you're indispensible, they can take your place. . . . well, we have to consider pathological power maniacs the plague they are, and do something to cure them. Maybe making them personally liable for breaking the law, so when they violate some person's lawful rights under color of authority, there are some consequences. . . .

And for you bleeding-heart liberals who just believe "the government should do this" and think you have a valid case, at least you could elect someone the next election who might re-authorize some of the really necessary serviices. . . . let's say, a welfare case worker, for example. . . .at the very least, a short-term worker in a job like that, who knows they're going back to a real job pretty soon, is going to actually care about making the taxpayer money have a meaningful impact on the problem. . .

We'll never ever in a billion years reduce the government cancer to a healthy functional civil service. I'm in favor of politicians submitting to a similar lottery every time they're up for re-election. And, for that matter, every federal agency should have to be re-authorized and completely re-staffed by new personnel every oh. . . four years. . . . as well. Term limits for federal employees. . . . no person can "serve" more than four years in their lifetime in any combination of government-paid roles. Including teachers. yayyyyy!!!!!! Parents required to teach in public schools for one year for each kid they have. . . . up to four, that is. . . yayyyyyyy!!!!!! Some of the parents would finally learn to read, I bet.

And budgets should have to be started from scratch every year as well. Same thing with any so-called "entitlement" notion, except for perhaps a genuine "social security" system that is not a tax, just a requirement that people with taxable income put some sensible amount of their wage into a retirement fund that won't be taxed until they take it our for some limited reasons. . . . like a serious medical expense or disability.

The reason the biker helmets are not on our store shelves right now is precisely the justification for all the above. We have arrogant "public servants" who will not let us do good business in a timely manner, at a huge cost to our health, safety, well-being, and human liberties, because they have the kind of power only a tyrannical government can exercise, power that creates the lobbyist industry that negates our right to representative
government because of businesses willing to buy politicians and the lobbyists who can otherwise sway government officials. . . . . and prevent us from having the power over our own lives.

jail would be too expensive to house all these miscreants who plague our nation. We've got to transform our government into something that doesn't "pay" so well for those who use it against us.

//////rant.

back to bike helmets that make folks look like English lawyers.

Last edited:
It's too expensive to catch on anytime soon for bicycling. $535 competing with $20 bike helmets. I can see many motorcyclists buying these though.

I have my doubts as to its effectiveness. Also, if it gets twisted around your neck, like in an accident, then goes off could it pop your head right off?

So it is one use only? Or it does it deflate when it's done its job?

They talked about it on NPR a little with the developer and it slowly deflates after it goes off. She also said they worked very hard to get the triggering system just right so that it will not go off unless there's an actual accident. Hard to imagine how that's possible unless it's not intended for off-road use.

They talked about it on NPR a little with the developer and it slowly deflates after it goes off. She also said they worked very hard to get the triggering system just right so that it will not go off unless there's an actual accident. Hard to imagine how that's possible unless it's not intended for off-road use.
Yeah. I'm very involved in cycling and I think the concept is cool but I have a hard time believing it actually works. My guess is that it would deploy sometimes when you didn't want it to and fail to deploy sometimes when you wanted it to. That would not be good.

Cool idea. However, it seems like the helmet requires a fairly big impact to trigger (such as being hit by a car) and thus wouldn't protect you against (for example) hitting a patch of ice and going down. Or hitting a seam in the concrete (my last accident). I've had several (5?) bike accidents over the past 20-25 years, but none of them involved being hit by a car. So I'm wondering if this would lull riders into a false sense of security, thinking they are being protected when really they're not.

Cool idea. However, it seems like the helmet requires a fairly big impact to trigger (such as being hit by a car) and thus wouldn't protect you against (for example) hitting a patch of ice and going down. Or hitting a seam in the concrete (my last accident). I've had several (5?) bike accidents over the past 20-25 years, but none of them involved being hit by a car. So I'm wondering if this would lull riders into a false sense of security, thinking they are being protected when really they're not.

I think the video shows it going off in a few instances like that, though it was dark so I'm not sure I can fully tell what's going down. Maybe they smacked into an invisible deer or something.

So I'm wondering if this would lull riders into a false sense of security, thinking they are being protected when really they're not.

It seems to be based on both angle and suddenness of movement, at least in part.