What's new

Is anyone sad we missed out on Aaron Gordon?

Orlando could have gotten the 35, at minimum, but the Jazz would have traded Gordon ad 23 for Exum before Orlando got the proposal fully out their mouth.

I thought Philly would have passed on Embiid and then tried to bargain him back from the Jazz. Philly and Orlando is dumb.

IF - and I realize that's a HUGE if - everything falls into place, Philly will look like geniuses. They were willing to wait on Noel, who probably would have been the 1st pick if healthy. And the same with Embiid. They're the preseason favorites to have the worst record this year. So maybe 3 years running with the top talents in the draft. The 76er's are looking 5 years down the road.

I agree with you on Orlando. I'm scratching my head. Maybe they REALLY liked Gordon. Or maybe they thought they could pick up an asset from Utah in a trade since it appeared the Jazz were in love with Aaron, already had a PG and SG and hadn't even brought in Exum for a workout. Utah needed a SF the most. But Utah doesn't draft for need, they take BPA. Silly Orlando!

If I was in Orlandos shoes I would have taken Gordon. I hope Exum has a better career than Gordon, but it's all hope.

AG was my consolation prize outside of the top 4. I know very little about Dante, but he has the potential to be great. AG will be good, but not great. As everyone has said, this was a risky pick with huge possible upside. The Jazz gambled. Holy crap. I feel like the hot girl we asked to prom actually said yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree.

The proficiency standards for a 1/2 are much higher than for a 3/4. Exums speed advantage will be greatly reduced if nobody is afraid of him shooting beyond 18 feet. Gordons athletic skill set would be curbed to a much less degree without an outside shot. I'm rooting for Exum and I really hope he develops a better (less flat) shot.

I was referring to their ft %. Gordon's ft percentage is one of the worst ever. Worse than Drummond. He may never get a respectable shot. I've heard scouts say that ft percent is a good indicator of future outside shooting. Exum has a 60% ft base to build off. Gordon's at 42.

And you always still have to guard the guy with the ball in his hands. Exum will have that. But if a wing is in the perimeter and off ball you can just sag off. Exum shot 33 % I believe. That's a good start. That's what MJ and Kobe built off. Exum isn't Rondo esque. That's Elfrid Payton of this draft.

If I was in Orlandos shoes I would have taken Gordon. I hope Exum has a better career than Gordon, but it's all hope.

I'm glad Hennigsn was foolish enough to pass on Exum for AG. I like AG but you don't pass Exum for him.

After so many bad experiences over the years with players who couldn't shoot, I'm glad we didn't take Gordon despite his wondrous athleticism. Average shooters can develop into good ones (Kawai Leonard and I hope Alec Burks), but bad shooters never quite get the hang of it.

Some of you are very sure Gordon will never learn to shoot despite some evidence that he will, but very confident that Exum will be a star with much less evidence. They are both really athletic, but there is a lot more evidence on Gordon, which you are very quick to dismiss.

The Jazz have Exum, so I am behind him 100%, but I will admit I was disappointed when Gordon went to Orlando.

I think both will be very good, but Gordon really had won me over.

Some of you are very sure Gordon will never learn to shoot despite some evidence that he will, but very confident that Exum will be a star with much less evidence. They are both really athletic, but there is a lot more evidence on Gordon, which you are very quick to dismiss.

The Jazz have Exum, so I am behind him 100%, but I will admit I was disappointed when Gordon went to Orlando.

I think both will be very good, but Gordon really had won me over.
Exum has elite size and speed for his position. Most project him as a PG, but he's also bigger than most SG's. On the other hand, AG might be a "tweener." Does he have the range to play SF? Or is he just an average-sized PF who will need to make his living inside since he won't be a stretch-4?

As much as I like Gordon, there is just no comparison. Exum has a chance to be ELITE at his position.

lol AKMVP negged me for my post. I told you all I would laugh when the Jazz drafted someone else. Didn't think AG would be off the board though. Thanks, Orlando!

This what AKMVP posted on Realgm Orlando site:

I am so mad at Orlando for snatching Gordon... He had two excellent workouts for Utah and me and numerous Jazz fans were hoping he will end up with us.... But your GM outsmarted ours and avoided that overrated new "Tzikitishvili" from Australia. Why, why on Earth you guys did not save us from that disaster...Gordon is sure bet to be ALL star while that bust will be back in kangaroo land in no time... why Jazz always screw up in the draft.... Dwill over Paul, Hayward over George, Kanter over JV, Burks over Leonard... and now **** Exum....we could have at least had Smart who killed Exum in U19 chamnpionship..
Sorry for venting guys, you got amazing player in Gordon.

Kabenac here is your rep back...to heck with AKMVP.

I was referring to their ft %. Gordon's ft percentage is one of the worst ever. Worse than Drummond. He may never get a respectable shot. I've heard scouts say that ft percent is a good indicator of future outside shooting. Exum has a 60% ft base to build off. Gordon's at 42.

And you always still have to guard the guy with the ball in his hands. Exum will have that. But if a wing is in the perimeter and off ball you can just sag off. Exum shot 33 % I believe. That's a good start. That's what MJ and Kobe built off. Exum isn't Rondo esque. That's Elfrid Payton of this draft.

Funny cuz you originally quoted me talking about his shot. I can't trust any stat that you can quote about Exum to translate. I can tell you that there is no way he will shoot 33% with an NBA defender on him from the NBA 3 if his shot remains that flat. The good news is he looks to have increased his upper body strength(to my eye anyway) which should help him and I would assume his shot is one of the major things he has been working on. He also seems to have a decently quick release. His shot ain't ****ed but it ain't right neither.

If a guy is quicker than you but can't shoot you sag off to take away his drive especially if he has the ball in his hands. When that same guy doesn't have the ball you tighten up to keep him from getting it. It's just what you do.

This what AKMVP posted on Realgm Orlando site:

I am so mad at Orlando for snatching Gordon... He had two excellent workouts for Utah and me and numerous Jazz fans were hoping he will end up with us.... But your GM outsmarted ours and avoided that overrated new "Tzikitishvili" from Australia. Why, why on Earth you guys did not save us from that disaster...Gordon is sure bet to be ALL star while that bust will be back in kangaroo land in no time... why Jazz always screw up in the draft.... Dwill over Paul, Hayward over George, Kanter over JV, Burks over Leonard... and now **** Exum....we could have at least had Smart who killed Exum in U19 chamnpionship..
Sorry for venting guys, you got amazing player in Gordon.

Kabenac here is your rep back...to heck with AKMVP.

internet is full of dudes like this

How about this. Let's assume that this was hypothetically possible (which it's not)... The Magic call up and offer Gordon for Hayward straight up, do you do that?

Now, reverse the scenario. Let's assume they drafted Exum and they call us up and offer Exum for Burke, or Burk. Do you do that?

Which of those two would make you more excited?

I think we got the right pick myself.

No because I think Utah got a better player. Gordon was 4th on my board behind Wiggins, Parker and Exum.

No because I think Utah got a better player. Gordon was 4th on my board behind Wiggins, Parker and Exum.

So when Burke made that game-winning shot against Orlando and many of us were freaking out - in essence - he saved us from Gordon and delivered us Exum.

How about this. Let's assume that this was hypothetically possible (which it's not)... The Magic call up and offer Gordon for Hayward straight up, do you do that?

Now, reverse the scenario. Let's assume they drafted Exum and they call us up and offer Exum for Burke, or Burk. Do you do that?

Which of those two would make you more excited?

I think we got the right pick myself.

Apples to oranges.
Let's say they call us up and offer Gordon and Payton for Exum and Hood...straight up.
Which deal do you take?

I know Payton was a high pick, but I take Exum/Hood without even needing to give it 5 seconds thought.

Apples to oranges.
Let's say they call us up and offer Gordon and Payton for Exum and Hood...straight up.
Which deal do you take?

I know Payton was a high pick, but I take Exum/Hood without even needing to give it 5 seconds thought.

With the team that we have? Exum and Hood. I think Exum will be better than Gordon and Hood feels a very huge need. Floor spreading shooter. Then what is the difference in talent between Exum & Burke v. Payton & Burke?

With the team that we have? Exum and Hood. I think Exum will be better than Gordon and Hood feels a very huge need. Floor spreading shooter. Then what is the difference in talent between Exum & Burke v. Payton & Burke?

The only one in that group that has the potential to be a superstar is Exum.