What's new

It Doesn't Matter if You're Black or White. Not!

Archie Moses

David Locke was saying that his listeners were "asinine" because the majority of them seemed to say that they wouldn't want to have Cole Adrich because he's white, even though he put up good numbers at a big basketball school, Kansas. He then said that his listeners (callers or whatever) seemed to want to have Whiteside because he's a shot blocking big man, and he's not white. Locke then went on to make it clear that Whiteside played a small school, Marshall, and at best would be a non-rebounding Marcus Camby cause he a JS.

It seemed to me that Locke was just making a point that people think it's OK for people to be racists against white basketball players. But if it were reversed, there would be hell. Anyone else listen to this? I was driving down the canyon I the last part got a bit fuzzy.

What sayest ye?

Well everyone knows reverse racism is twice as bad as regular racism because it's against white people. Obviously.

I think it has more to do with the underlying feeling that Jazz fans have whenever they are bashed for being "too white". You hear it all the time about the state, the crowd at ESA, and even the team. I know it gets to me, so I can see where fans would let that emotion over ride any attempt at analytical discussion about players.

In this case, I happen to agree, as far as basketball goes. I have read numerous articles/ critiques about Whiteside and they all say the same thing- he's too thin, his attitude/ intelligence is lacking, and his numbers are inflated playing at a level below that of his own. I would like to see how he did for one season in a conference with superior talent, like the Big 12.

If Cole Aldrich could actually move around well and jump, and people were still objected to him on the basis of skin color, he might have a point. As it is, White is just a euphemism for unathletic. If a ****ing white Dwight Howard were available at 9, nobody would mention his skin color, they would murder KOC if he didn't take him.

I think it has more to do with the underlying feeling that Jazz fans have whenever they are bashed for being "too white". You hear it all the time about the state, the crowd at ESA, and even the team.

I love that line of attack from idiots. These are the same people who couldn't understand the concept of demographics in the United States if you tried to draw it to them in crayon.

I always wondered why Portland never got the same amount of garbage. It's hardly some minority laden city.

Well everyone knows reverse racism is twice as bad as regular racism because it's against white people. Obviously.

I don't know about twice as bad, but it is just as bad -- with a twist -- most people don't think it's bad. Hooray for affirmative action!

(hmmm, maybe I'm not as liberal as I thought)

I don't care what colour a players skin is as long as he can actually play.

I found it rather amusing that half the board piled on Yell for espousing a stereotype about blacks yet stereotypes about whites on here abound.

I don't care what colour a players skin is as long as he can actually play.

I found it rather amusing that half the board piled on Yell for espousing a stereotype about blacks yet stereotypes about whites on here abound.

Hello, we're hypocrites! Besides, I don't care about your opinion, unless it's the same as mine. Geez, get a clue.

Basketball is full of sterotypes, but there are general differences in how the game is played in African-American communities and white communities. There are a few ethnographic/sociological academic studies to this effect. A lot has to do with availability of courts, amount of unstructured court time, etc. That being said, if a guy has game, a guy has game. Race should have nothing to do with who the Jazz draft. If Cole Aldrich is the best player on the board at #9 you take him. Duh. However...Cole Aldrich has no offensive moves (kind of throws it up at the rim) and doesn't really have the drive to be a factor in the NBA. At best Aldrich is a decent backup at C in the NBA. So don't pick Cole for basketball reasons, not because he's white.

Side note: NBA players often defy stereotypes. Bill Russell is hardly what you would call a hopper. Pete Maravich was a ball-hogging, showman that cared more about himself than his team. Larry Bird was a trash-talking, dirty mother f'er out on the court and he had a shot selection that would make Allen Iverson and Brandon Jennings gringe. Grant Hill and Tim Duncan are class acts. Jason Williams and Birdman are complete asses. Andrew Bogut plays nasty and mean. Channing Frye is Charmin Soft. The list goes on and on.

Andrew Bogut plays nasty and mean.

The only thing nasty about Bogut is his inability to dunk the ball without falling on his *** and breaking half his body. What a bitch-***-trick.

30vof0i.gif

*laughs out loud*

What was that you were saying Mantis?

I don't give a rats *** if the player is pink with rainbow panties,
I want somebody that has length, and talent.
This team has never had long athletic bigs and it has hurt us repeatedly over the years.
Just imagine replacing Russel with Odom?

I don't care whether a player is black or white or pink with purple spots either. I just thought the video was relevant to the discussion, particularly AfroJazz's point about stereotypes.