What's new

It's obvious - Exum needs to play off the balll (for now)

:confused: disagree...first real in game experience ever against this level...nerves...he will be fine. sloppy yes, but he will tighten it up I believe

:confused: disagree...first real in game experience ever against this level...nerves...he will be fine. sloppy yes, but he will tighten it up I believe

I'm not diminishing him as a player at all. It's just obvious he can't play point guard right now - he will be able to make TONS of plays playing off the ball and catching the rock in motion. He definitely has the tools to turn into a primary ball-handler a couple years down the line though. But tightening handle, more specifically developing a left can't happen in a season.

I just wont say anything is 'obvious' after one summer league game, especially by a guy who has never played a game like this.

Completely disagree. He needs the ball in his hands. You could tell he was uncomfortable playing the 2 in the first half. Right when Trey went out he immediatly took over and looked fantastic

He had some really good passes, which I believe he needs that ball to do.

He can do that playing off the ball, and catching the ball on the perimeter. Just in terms of initiating an offense in the half court, he seems limited because of his handle/strength at this point.

He can do that playing off the ball, and catching the ball on the perimeter. Just in terms of initiating an offense in the half court, he seems limited because of his handle/strength at this point.

Unfortunately, I don't think people understand this concept.

This level of basketball is mostly fringe NBA players. Mosr kids in summerleague wont even be on a team rosters opening night. Exum might have struggled but that happens to say against this level is just a cop out and untrue. Players have bad games even the best players.

Reactions: ema
Exum was bothered a little by McRae. Mcrae is a 6'5" freak with over a 7' wingspan. Exum should make mince meat out of most of his SL defenders going forward.

Exum is more of a one than a two. With Exum our pg, will have a physical advantage of either being taller or quicker. Trade Burke.

wow one game and we have him pegged. everyone has the jitters at first and will make mistakes. I mean hood was like 1-10 I guess he can shoot. just wait and see what happens. personally I want exum to be our future pg.

Completely disagree. He needs the ball in his hands. You could tell he was uncomfortable playing the 2 in the first half. Right when Trey went out he immediatly took over and looked fantastic

Exum is more of a one than a two. With Exum our pg, will have a physical advantage of either being taller or quicker. Trade Burke.

Yeah these.

If we want to win next season, we really need to have Exum on the ball at all times, creating, attacking, etc. He'll also be better as an on ball defender at the point as well.

But if we're looking to 'tank' one more season (a real possibility IMO, since Exum is still very young and we do need to somehow replace Kanter), then yeah by all means keep Burke at PG and that'll also raise his trade value when we trade him at the end of the season.

I'm not diminishing him as a player at all. It's just obvious he can't play point guard right now - he will be able to make TONS of plays playing off the ball and catching the rock in motion. He definitely has the tools to turn into a primary ball-handler a couple years down the line though. But tightening handle, more specifically developing a left can't happen in a season.
So you think Burke should be a PG and Exum shouldn't? After that game? Exum if anything looked like he deserved the ball more than Trey. Yes he was sloppy in places but Burke had the ball taken right out of his hands at least once and I believe more than that. Exum ran the PNR on a number of occasions and made plays for his teammates and himself. Burke made plays for himself and did not seem to run the PNR well at all. I will not be surprised if Exum is starting by the end of preseason and would be shocked if he is not starting next season. I'm not a Burke hater, but I just don't see the same talent in the 2 players, at least after 1 summer league game.

Let Exum play the PG on offense, but don't trade Burke. Trey is a great compliment to Exum. A smaller guy who can play on or off the ball on offense, but guard a smaller PG. Match them both up with Burks, and you have a trio that can cause matchup problems for a lot of teams. Three guys who can handle the ball, pass, and score.

Can cause fits.

Haven't read the thread but I told everyone he has the skills but scouts say, off the record, he's not ready to lead a team yet. He's a SG as of right now.