What's new

It's obvious - Exum needs to play off the balll (for now)

I could tell after his defender sat on his right hand two straight times and he had trouble. I don't want to keep harping on it because I love him and don't want to come off as a detractor or hater or whatever. But we'll see, maybe I should've just said I'm concerned that could be a weakness for him early on. Not to mention, plenty of guys have had excellent careers - even HOF careers being one-hand dominant (Drexler). Just not PGs. Which was the point of the thread - that he's an off-guard and could be amazing at that.
A couple of his best plays in the game were going left (pick and roll with Gobert, drive and dish to Gobert). He didn't seem right-hand dominant at all to me.

edit: Watching some of his highlights from international competitions, Dante seems to cross guys over right to left a lot. Really not seeing it, dude. Handle is loose, but he seems just as comfortable going left as he does going right.

A couple of his best plays in the game were going left (pick and roll with Gobert, drive and dish to Gobert). He didn't seem right-hand dominant at all to me.

edit: Watching some of his highlights from international competitions, Dante seems to cross guys over right to left a lot. Really not seeing it, dude. Handle is loose, but he seems just as comfortable going left as he does going right.
This is what I saw as well. I saw a PNR to Gobert and a great pass with his left hand. And a drive to the left baseline after a crossover (though I think he missed the layup on this one).

Bumping this thread from summer league - I still stand by it. Dante needs to improve his left badly - even Tony Jones agrees. Again, no slight on Dante.... I am fired up we drafted him, and think he can be awesome. I just don't see a PG as of now.

Dante has been a non-factor off the ball. You cannot see him on the floor when he's not the primary ball-handler. The fact that he needs to improve his left hand-handle has little to do with what position he should be playing. By playing him off the ball you sacrifice his best attributes(passing, vision, bball iq), for his worst attributes - shooting and off-the-ball movement. I can't understand anybody wanting him to play off the ball. It will kill any chance he has of ever being an all-star type of player.

I will be the first one to put it in print - my prediction is - if the Jazz decide to make Dante into a shooting guard, he will never be an all-star player.

Bumping this thread from summer league - I still stand by it. Dante needs to improve his left badly - even Tony Jones agrees. Again, no slight on Dante.... I am fired up we drafted him, and think he can be awesome. I just don't see a PG as of now.

So you want to take away all of his strengths?

You're right, he's not a NBA PG right now. But he's even less a NBA SG. We're talking about a guy who got his *** kicked by scrubs in summer league and again by Euro scrubs. Dude can't play anything right now. Having said that, if he has any shot at all of looking like he belongs this year, it is at the point where he has some strengths and has an advantage due to his size.

Oh, and Tony Jones is a dumbass. Never hitch your wagon to that guy.
Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I thought Exum had moments of brilliance during summer league when he played on the ball. He hardly got his *** kicked other than when he was off the ball.

I will be the first one to put it in print - my prediction is - if the Jazz decide to make Dante into a shooting guard, he will never be an all-star player.

Wow you are so risky bro

You're right, he's not a NBA PG right now. But he's even less a NBA SG. We're talking about a guy who got his *** kicked by scrubs in summer league and again by Euro scrubs. Dude can't play anything right now. Having said that, if he has any shot at all of looking like he belongs this year, it is at the point where he has some strengths and has an advantage due to his size.

Oh, and Tony Jones is a dumbass. Never hitch your wagon to that guy.
Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Fair point - plus, the game is moving more towards hybrid type players where they aren't playing within the rigid framework of the five set positions. Even Quin has gone on record calling both he and Trey 1.5's, and that he will play whatever 5 he thinks will give the Jazz the best chance. Ultimately, I just think Exum will be more successful off the ball slashing this season while he develops his strength and skills.

Much like Enes for his first couple seasons, I have zero expectations for Dante because of his age/experience. So anything positive regardless of where it comes from on the court from him we get is gravy.

I thought Exum had moments of brilliance during summer league when he played on the ball. He hardly got his *** kicked other than when he was off the ball.

7 ppg, 30% FGs, more turnovers than assists. 2 rebs. If that's not getting your *** kicked, I'm not sure what would qualify.

Exum needs to learn how to finish around the basket against NBA talent. His first year is prolly horrendous for reasons like:
-Not having refs backups through contact
-Not enough shooting to hold the defense honest and the only screener who adds a little bit of spacing is Novak
-Defender will sag off at against him and that will challenge his creativity and timing to find guys in spots when he can't force rotations on his drives

He can surprise though, because his handling is solid, he keeps the head up and rarely missed assist opportunities in the past.
He can turn the corner and his explosion in the lane is great. Bad defensive teams that didn't properly prepare for him may allow him to have some highlight nights from time to time.

I wouldn't play him off the ball more than 3 mins at the end of the quarter, because he isn't used to moving without the ball and recognizing cutting opportunities, executing wing rotations to stay a threat and force the defender to make a choice. He could shine in moments where he curls around a screen and runs a 2ary attack.

I agree. And he supposedly is playing very strong defense in practices right now. Of course, he's likely scrimmaging against Burke, so not too difficult to give Trey problems.

IMHO (which I admit isn't worth much), I'd ONLY play Dante at PG and I'd ONLY play him about 15-18 mins/per in a backup role. It's pretty evident he has conditioning problems right now. And he's very raw. So put him in a position where he's best suited to have some success. If you look at other young players on the Jazz, the thought process was always to have them learn their primary position before trying to have them add on a second or third.

Dante COULD be a stud at PG (he could also be a bust). It will take a few years, but he has great potential (size and speed). Dante is NEVER going to be a dominant SG.

7 ppg, 30% FGs, more turnovers than assists. 2 rebs. If that's not getting your *** kicked, I'm not sure what would qualify.

Totally lost when playing off the ball and HOPING Trey would make a pass (which he rarely did). And conditioning was definitely a problem. But there were a few moments. For example, I remember a crossover into a spin move that left the defender completely lost.

The only thing obvious to me is that Highland Homie doesn't have a clue. Exum should be used as a PG only at this stage as that is were his strengths are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

at 6'6", he could have great vision for a point guard and could cause miss matches. We don't need another shooting guard that can't shoot.