What's new

Its Time to Tank

The only way I see a tank coming is if we did a 3 for 1 deal with the Lakers and sent Russ packing… would be tough to justify it with the Lakers giving up just 1 pick… they suck so bad I think they won’t consider sending both picks in almost any deal… but if you sent out Mike/KO/Beasley that could put us in the race.

Then, let’s go for it!

1669289296981.gif

Ainge is probably overall happy.

The team has over performed enough to boost the value of the individual players, but they aren't good enough to sustain it.

Would have been hard to trade dudes if you are the first overall seed. When youre battling for the play in it's much easier to sell to fans.

In my opinion next 10 games before Dec 15 are gonna be decisive as to how we move forward. We have another insane back to back coming up with road games against Warriors and Suns, and then 6 game home stretch against 4 teams with winning record (Clippers, Pacers, Blazers, Wolves) and the other 2 against last years playoff teams (GSW and Bulls). That homestretch leaves 0 excuse for lack of practice reps before we travel to Denver and back home for first game in our home double header vs Pels.

So our tough schedule continues. I think if we finish these 10 games better than 6-4 (meaning we are 19-11 or better), I think we are looking for reinforcements at reasonable price points. If we finish below 4-6 (meaning we are at .500 at Dec 15) we might become sellers by looking for value trades for guys who dont fit our long term plans. If we finish anywhere between 6-4 to 4-6 (being 18-12 and 16-14 then) its anyones guess.

In any case, I dont see us being all in as buyers or doing a total talent dump.

lmao

The Lakers are garbage dude. They've played 10 home games and 6 road games, and have had a piss easy schedule.
The Lakers are playing way better and are about to get LeBron back. They won't turn into a great team but they are probably a .500 team when it is all said and done.

The Lakers are playing way better and are about to get LeBron back. They won't turn into a great team but they are probably a .500 team when it is all said and done.
Not collectively better. AD has just been dominant, looking like the late Pels or early Lakers version. I'm not sure he will stay that way... but even if he does Lebron changes the dynamics a lot after he comes back. Hard to tell what they become. Last season they absolutely gassed at the end.

Not collectively better. AD has just been dominant, looking like the late Pels or early Lakers version. I'm not sure he will stay that way... but even if he does Lebron changes the dynamics a lot after he comes back. Hard to tell what they become. Last season they absolutely gassed at the end.
Collectively they are looking better. They just got Thomas Bryant and Schroder back to help build some badly needed depth. Kendrick Nunn is showing some signs of life and of course LeBron coming back. Like I said they aren't anything special but I expect them to be around .500 by the end of the year.

Collectively they are looking better. They just got Thomas Bryant and Schroder back to help build some badly needed depth. Kendrick Nunn is showing some signs of life and of course LeBron coming back. Like I said they aren't anything special but I expect them to be around .500 by the end of the year.
They still have one big bullet left in their chamber. I'm going to assume those FRP's get dealt by January to either add roleplayers or a 3rd "star".
Pelican fans are obviously hoping Lakers fall on their face but I think they are going to end up in the play in at the very minimum.
AD has actually been playing some of the best ball of his career the past few games. As long as he stays healthy they will be fine but of course health is always the big question with him.

Ainge is probably overall happy.

The team has over performed enough to boost the value of the individual players, but they aren't good enough to sustain it.

Would have been hard to trade dudes if you are the first overall seed. When youre battling for the play in it's much easier to sell to fans.
I agree he must be thrilled.
He's found some keepers, the team has played some entertaining ball, but it's probably not sustainable.
If you gave him some truth serum I'm going to assume he already knows what he wants to do in January.
This team at the very minimum still needs an infusion of length, athleticism, ball skills on the wing and another guy in the frontcourt who can defend athletic bigs and who isn't a total zero on offense.

The only way I see a tank coming is if we did a 3 for 1 deal with the Lakers and sent Russ packing… would be tough to justify it with the Lakers giving up just 1 pick… they suck so bad I think they won’t consider sending both picks in almost any deal… but if you sent out Mike/KO/Beasley that could put us in the race.

Gonna have to say no to beasley being traded.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I agree with the people who want to trade away guys for picks to get worse and properly tank.

I also agree with the people who want to use some assets to add more talent and try to win as much as possible now.

I also agree with everyone in between.

This is the season of silver linings and half full glasses.

Gun to my head i still think the jazz would be better off in the future if they sucked this year and got a top 3 pick in the jazz. Just cant see it happening though. Probably cant get past the first round of the playoffs this year so ainge should probably trade mike and JC and kelly etc. But i bet we could put up a good fight in the playoffs and im here for that too

Its ALL good

I agree with the people who want to trade away guys for picks to get worse and properly tank.

I also agree with the people who want to use some assets to add more talent and try to win as much as possible now.

I also agree with everyone in between.

This is the season of silver linings and half full glasses.

Gun to my head i still think the jazz would be better off in the future if they sucked this year and got a top 3 pick in the jazz. Just cant see it happening though. Probably cant get past the first round of the playoffs this year so ainge should probably trade mike and JC and kelly etc. But i bet we could put up a good fight in the playoffs and im here for that too

Its ALL good

Would be cool af if this ragtag bunch of castaways and afterthoughts would win a playoff series though. Thats why I want them in there. To upset some of the "contenders" and build up confidence.

After all, if we get in and lose in the 1st round we will still be applauded and have a very positive outlook for next year.

Honestly, there are some pretty interesting players being mentioned in potential trades.

Wiseman and Kuminga are being thrown out there and I wouldnt mind taking a flyer on them.

John Collins is a buy low

Kenrich Williams maybe

Mo Bomba - centers always have a longer learning curve

Jaxson Hayes

RJ Hampton - my number one target

Jonathan Isaac maybe

Hell Gary Harris is one of my favorite players and is only 28 and might be had

I have heard Bogdan Bogdanović name thrown around

Matisse Thybull also mentioned

Rui Hachimura but he serious lack of defense scares me a lot

Maybe pry a player like Brandon Clarke away from the Grizz

Would be cool af if this ragtag bunch of castaways and afterthoughts would win a playoff series though. Thats why I want them in there. To upset some of the "contenders" and build up confidence.

After all, if we get in and lose in the 1st round we will still be applauded and have a very positive outlook for next year.

Agreed. The rudy, royce, and donovan trades set us up with so many assets that we are sitting pretty damn good no matter what happens this year. We have what appears to be a great young coach, tons of draft picks, an amazing gm that almost always win the trade, some young guys with potential (kessler, agjabi, THT, etc) a bonfide star in the making (Lauri), one of the best shooters in the entire league (beasley), and some other nice young pieces (sexton, vando, simone etc). We have tons of financial flexibility too.

Then we have the vets (mike, jordan, kelly) that no one really knows quite what we should or shouldnt do with.

Stepping back and looking at all that (the big picture) and as a jazz fan you would have to be pretty happy with the future of this team regardless of how you feel about tanking or win now or whatever.

Its ALL good.

Last edited:
They way I look at this is who is going to be on the roster next year? In 2 years? Or even 3 years?

If they are not in the future for the Jazz I am ok with moving them.

Markkanen - is a super solid building piece. Now if someone came with an amazing offer I would trade him. He is not untouchable IMO

Vanderbilt - are always great players to have on your roster. Their attitude is infectious. Would have to be a good offer to move.

Kessler - is a solid piece and should stay on the roster

Olynyk - could be moved and I wouldn't care. He is NOT a future piece.

Conley - is a great locker room guy and a hard contract to move. He seems to love utah. Not in a rush to move him. Would look at offers however.

Sexton - i like Sexton but I am.not convinced he is a future piece BUT he would make a decent 6th man. Clarkson would be a good mentor for him.

Clarkson - is awesome but honestly he is really not a future piece. I know the jazz like him but now is the time to get some assets for him.

NAW - is not a future piece.

THT - he is perfect for what he gets paid. I would like him for the future.

Beasley - is a great fit. He is a better 6th man than Sexton and hopefully he stays around. Problem is the way he is playing we could get a decent value for him in a trade

They way I look at this is who is going to be on the roster next year? In 2 years? Or even 3 years?

If they are not in the future for the Jazz I am ok with moving them.

Markkanen - is a super solid building piece. Now if someone came with an amazing offer I would trade him. He is not untouchable IMO

Vanderbilt - are always great players to have on your roster. Their attitude is infectious. Would have to be a good offer to move.

Kessler - is a solid piece and should stay on the roster

Olynyk - could be moved and I wouldn't care. He is NOT a future piece.

Conley - is a great locker room guy and a hard contract to move. He seems to love utah. Not in a rush to move him. Would look at offers however.

Sexton - i like Sexton but I am.not convinced he is a future piece BUT he would make a decent 6th man. Clarkson would be a good mentor for him.

Clarkson - is awesome but honestly he is really not a future piece. I know the jazz like him but now is the time to get some assets for him.

NAW - is not a future piece.

THT - he is perfect for what he gets paid. I would like him for the future.

Beasley - is a great fit. He is a better 6th man than Sexton and hopefully he stays around. Problem is the way he is playing we could get a decent value for him in a trade
I'm probably in the minority but I'd be fine if they traded JC and just moved Beasley into the starting lineup next to Conley. They could finally give some minutes to Agbaji as a backup. Sexton can stay in his role while still being mentored by the point god Conley. THT would obviously keep getting his same minutes.

Somehow I doubt the Jazz would trade JC as he's apparently reached cult status here. We crapped on most of our guys after the last few losses but Clarkson's matador defense last night was plain bad. I can live with a few crazy shots and the overdribbling on occasion but his defense can be maddening.

I'm probably in the minority but I'd be fine if they traded JC and just moved Beasley into the starting lineup next to Conley. They could finally give some minutes to Agbaji as a backup. Sexton can stay in his role while still being mentored by the point god Conley. THT would obviously keep getting his same minutes.

Somehow I doubt the Jazz would trade JC as he's apparently reached cult status here. We crapped on most of our guys after the last few losses but Clarkson's matador defense last night was plain bad. I can live with a few crazy shots and the overdribbling on occasion but his defense can be maddening.
I agree 100%

After last night's defensive gem why not use the guys that haven't been playing? Send a message to the fat and happy gang that if you don't play hard, you get to sit.