What's new

Its Time to Tank

The Bulls dont really need PG play though. They have good backup PG's and they have two very good playmaking wings. The Bulls making their last shot Mike Conley just doesnt make any sense. Maybe you can get just Lonzo, but you arent getting a pick for taking on the better player.

Your love affair with Lonzo is strange. Particularly with him being extremely injury prone. At this point I think you would be the only person claiming Lonzo is a better player than Conley with Lonzo still recovering from a major knee injury.

I think conley qualifies. The THT 3 point play getting overturned to a charge qualifies. Lauri getting flagrant fouled on the jump ball and the opponent getting to call a timeout without possession of the ball qualifies. Not a ton of bad luck but to say we haven’t experienced any bad luck is incorrect imo

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
I see what you are saying but that is not the kind of luck I was talking about. Those things happen both ways each and every game. Mike missing 5 games is not unlucky either... most teams will miss a starter for 5 games in the first 20.

I was referring more towards shooting and opponent shooting luck. We were like #1 in opponent shooting from 3... which has been shown to even out. Also opponent foul shooting percentages were low... and we had shot a bit above our percentages. If just one of those reverses the close wins turn into close loses and it looks a whole lot different. So its an aggregate luck not a single event luck.

GS tanked for Barnes... and they tanked super duper hard. It had three benefits... gave them Barnes when they would have sent that pick to Utah. Barnes not a world beater but was good enough by time he left to sign a 4/100M deal. He was a cheap starter who contributed to their winning. It helped improve their second round pick... which nabbed Draymond Green... but one of the biggest overlooked things is that it landed them Bogut. They traded a healthy Monta Ellis for a hurt Andrew Bogut. If they had played it straight they don't trade for an injured player.

They also tanked the year Steph got hurt. They ended up with James Wiseman which is the funny thing... but they tanked that year once Steph got hurt. Green sat out a ton... they played all the young guys a ton... weren't concerned with winning at all.

Do they win titles without it... sure... did they see it as a valuable strategy to build their team... **** yes they did and they engaged in it twice.
This. Most people wanna see past it but they tanked twice like you said and strangely enough nobody in the Media ever said anything.

It’s like they’re untouchable or something.

This. Most people wanna see past it but they tanked twice like you said and strangely enough nobody in the Media ever said anything.

It’s like they’re untouchable or something.
People have said they tanked man. No one really cares that much about tanking. We just dont want too many teams tanking at once for too long. GSW did intelligent tanking (something the Jazz currently are not doing).

People have said they tanked man. No one really cares that much about tanking. We just dont want too many teams tanking at once for too long. GSW did intelligent tanking (something the Jazz currently are not doing).
I follow NBA pretty closely and to my knowledge no one had acknowledged that they tanked.

Even in this thread alone people are disputing whether they tanked.. lol..

What’s your point?
They tanked solid for a couple of games that season to keep their pick, but for the most part it wasn't tanking that got the Warriors their success. I don't think they're a good example of tanking working.

They tanked solid for a couple of games that season to keep their pick, but for the most part it wasn't tanking that got the Warriors their success. I don't think they're a good example of tanking working.
LOL .. Steph sat out a whole season 1 year if i remember correctly. Klay played for a bit and also joined in sitting out til the end of the season.

This is it though.. the genius of it is they fooled everyone into thinking they didn't tank.

It’s actually a masterclass in trickery.

LOL .. Steph sat out a whole season 1 year if i remember correctly. Klay played for a bit and also joined in sitting out til the end of the season.

This is it though.. the genius of it is they fooled everyone into thinking they didn't tank.

It’s actually a masterclass in trickery.
The Warriors tanking did not contribute to their dynasty, is what I believe everybody's primary point is.

The Warriors tanking did not contribute to their dynasty, is what I believe everybody's primary point is.
Harrison Barnes was a solid player that provided a very much needed stopgap for them before Durant arrived.

Most people looked past that but I for one would say he contributed to the core of that young team that led them to eventually winning the title when Durant arrived.

Harrison Barnes was a solid player that provided a very much needed stopgap for them before Durant arrived.

Most people looked past that but I for one would say he contributed to the core of that young team that led them to eventually winning the title when Durant arrived.
Every player and pieces matters, but you cannot credit Barnes (and thus, their tanking) much for their 2015 chip or 2016 finals. It was Steph, Klay and Draymond who led them, and Barnes was in the 2nd tier with Bogut and Iguodala (arguably worst of the 3). Barnes was a starter for sure, but its not like he provided consistency or skillset they couldn't get from someone else (bench or lower pick) that year. After KD signed, Barnes impact was erased and he would have been glued to the bench anyways.

Every player and pieces matters, but you cannot credit Barnes (and thus, their tanking) much for their 2015 chip or 2016 finals. It was Steph, Klay and Draymond who led them, and Barnes was in the 2nd tier with Bogut and Iguodala (arguably worst of the 3). Barnes was a starter for sure, but its not like he provided consistency or skillset they couldn't get from someone else (bench or lower pick) that year. After KD signed, Barnes impact was erased and he would have been glued to the bench anyways.
Well you have your interpretation I have mine. Harrison Barnes was a solid 3 way player at the 3 for them full stop at a very cheap price. Barnes would have been a franchise player for a struggling team (i.e., the Kings) had he not been playing behind Steph, Draymond and Klay.

Well you have your interpretation I have mine. Harrison Barnes was a solid 3 way player at the 3 for them full stop at a very cheap price. Barnes would have been a franchise player for a struggling team (i.e., the Kings) had he not been playing behind Steph, Draymond and Klay.
look, if I want to hear your opinion I will tell it to you

They are a good example of tanking though. And it worked as it got them 2 starters on a championship team.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I think the issue is not whether it “worked”… it’s the fact that some are like “good orgs don’t tank… look at GS”. GS tanked twice.

Also it very much did contribute to their dynasty. Barnes started for like 3 years for them. Bogut was absolutely part of the tank as he was acquired for a functional player when he was out for the year. That doesn’t happen if they are doing the “honorable thing” and competing to the best of their abilities.

And a minor benefit is that it improves their second round pick by a handful of spots. That year there was a guy that projected to go late first round that they ended up selecting at 35… so they landed Draymond Green which may or may not have happened.

So it’s really tough to say the tank didn’t work or that they would have won titles without it.

GSW tanked so tactically well even fans of other teams are defending them.. LOL ..

Team that got a 1st round pick stolen from them no less…

#smh..

Imagine if Golden State tanked harder or got some lottery luck they could have ended up with Davis/Beal/Lillard instead of Barnes. Also, imagine if they took LaMelo or Haliburton instead of Wiseman.

GSW tanked so tactically well even fans of other teams are defending them.. LOL ..

Team that got a 1st round pick stolen from them no less…

#smh..
I'm not saying they didn't tank for Barnes (although just a few games, but enough), but I don't think their other losing seasons really count as tanking. They had a lot of injuries.