What's new

Game Thread Jan 07, 2023 06:00PM MT: Jazz at Bulls

Added to Calendar: 01-07-23

Great tank job. Played well for 3 and 1/2 quarters then basically shut down. Love it. Great bounce back tank job Agbaji almost screwed the pooch for us.

Thought you were referring to the number of points in the paint which is how many Bulls had when the graphic come up late in the fourth. But if you think Kessler would have made the slightest of difference to the Bulls shooting 6/7 and 4/6 from the midrange in addition to 4 free throws for Derozan for being fouled on midrange shots then you either an idiot and haven't paid any attention to the way he defends.

Literally couldnt have been any worse.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I love Kessler, but benching him in the 4th wasnt a horrible call as some seem to indicate. He had 5 PF and that stretch at the end of 3rd Q was rough for him.

Happy for Ochai though. Hopefully we get to see Sexton, NAW, Ochai, Lauri, Kessler combo at some point. I'm intrigued how they would work together defensively.

I love Kessler, but benching him in the 4th wasnt a horrible call as some seem to indicate. He had 5 PF

So what...? If he fouls out, so be it. What were we saving him for?

Still, I won't die on Play Kessler Hill when it comes to this game. The Bulls are a small ball team and this was one of the rare instances where there were better matchups for Vando.

Speaking of Vando, he had an ok rebounding game but his endless misses from near point blank range are really grating. Whenever there's a defender anywhere in the vicinity, Vando starts rushing things. He'd have a lot more dunks if his timing was better. It's as if he's absolutely terrified of getting blocked.

Still, I won't die on Play Kessler Hill when it comes to this game. The Bulls are a small ball team and this was one of the rare instances where there were better matchups for Vando.

Speaking of Vando, he had an ok rebounding game but his endless misses from near point blank range are really grating. Whenever there's a defender anywhere in the vicinity, Vando starts rushing things. He'd have a lot more dunks if his timing was better. It's as if he's absolutely terrified of getting blocked.

Just want to point out that 14 rebounds in 26 minutes is better than ok rebounding game. (No one else on the team had more than 7)That is pretty elite. Especially when the opponent shot 53% from the field and 46% from three.

15 points (3-3 from the line), 3 assists and 1 turnover in 26 minutes is not bad either.

You are correct that he is not a good scorer though. Nice to see him scoring that much in that short of time though.

Beasley 1/9, 0/7 from 3

next game he'll shoot 6/9

Then 1/9

Repeat
Beasley is now shooting 36.9% from 3 for the season which is pretty low for a guy given such a green light to take them every game.
I'm hoping Agbaji will eventually take his role by the deadline. At least Agbaji will give them a little athleticism and physicality at the wing which is sorely missing on this team. Maybe he won't hit or take as many 3's as Beasley but he's starting to prove he can make them. Beasley just adds very little when his shot isn't falling which seems to be happening more often.

It looks like reading the responses that literally every person thinks playing gay is stupid unless its to intentionally lose.

Is you read jazzfanz you will see the same thing…. with the exception of one poster who defends the decision to play gay.

This is standard coaching stuff.

First off.. If you play him he will get attacked constantly. He either plays scared of fouls and gives up easy buckets or plays normally and likely fouls out fast.

If he fouls out, you lose any chance of him being an insurance policy in case of injury or coming in for specific schemed plays or situations.

Coaches seem to be more scared of players playing timid with 5 PF.. which is why those guys usually sit out the rest of the game unless they are absolutely needed for the W.

This is standard coaching stuff.

First off.. If you play him he will get attacked constantly. He either plays scared of fouls and gives up easy buckets or plays normally and likely fouls out fast.

If he fouls out, you lose any chance of him being an insurance policy in case of injury or coming in for specific schemed plays or situations.

Coaches seem to be more scared of players playing timid with 5 PF.. which is why those guys usually sit out the rest of the game unless they are absolutely needed for the W.

Exactly. I mean if hardy played kessler the bulls might have scored a ton in the 4th quarter due to the fact that kessler would play timid and get attacked over and over.
Good move to not play kessler so we could hold the bulls to only 42 4th quarter points and get the loss.

Just want to point out that 14 rebounds in 26 minutes is better than ok rebounding game. (No one else on the team had more than 7)That is pretty elite. Especially when the opponent shot 53% from the field and 46% from three.
Sure. I just find it hard to get excited about rebounding numbers. When Lauri gets 10+, nobody bats an eye, even though he's not exactly known as a monster on the glass.

Soooo many rebounds are totally uncontested in this league. Hell, often it's two teammates fighting over one "free" rebound.

Exactly. I mean if hardy played kessler the bulls might have scored a ton in the 4th quarter due to the fact that kessler would play timid and get attacked over and over.
Good move to not play kessler so we could hold the bulls to only 42 4th quarter points and get the loss.

Why flaming? You are usually better than that..

FWIW they scored only 8 of those 42 in the restricted area. 18 from 3, 6 from charity stripe and 10 from midrange.

Why flaming? You are usually better than that..

FWIW they scored only 8 of those 42 in the restricted area. 18 from 3, 6 from charity stripe and 10 from midrange.

Im just pointing out that not playing kessler didnt exactly work. What is the harm in playing him? Maybe we lose. Maybe we win. Maybe he fouls out. Whatever. Let the young guys play and develop. 13 minutes is BS. If kessler is going to be a part of our future then there will be times when he will need to play while in foul trouble in games that actually matter.
Might as well let him work on these types of things during a season where the games dont really matter. Does that make sense?

Im just pointing out that not playing kessler didnt exactly work. What is the harm in playing him? Maybe we lose. Maybe we win. Maybe he fouls out. Whatever. Let the young guys play and develop. 13 minutes is BS. If kessler is going to be a part of our future then there will be times when he will need to play while in foul trouble in games that actually matter.
Might as well let him work on these types of things during a season where the games dont really matter. Does that make sense?

It does. But Hardy had 2 options and one had 5 fouls. Both are young and have upside. I still think its not a horrible call to bench him.

Right now KO is useless. He still might be hurting from the ankle and that makes his quickness glacial at best. Could we trade him for a bag of potato chips or the rights to Rayjohn Tucker?
I don’t think there’s much of a market for Olynyk unfortunately and no I’m not remotely interested in Tucker. I’ve cooled a bit on KO but probably not for the same reasons as you. I don’t like the fact that he’s gotten so gun shy on open spot up threes when he makes that shot as well as anybody. I hate when he keeps deferring and then Beasley or Clarkson or even Conley throws up a well covered prayer.

The guy did an excellent job keeping Vuc out of the paint last night. He had more blocks than anybody. Unfortunately, he seems to get more ticky tack fouls called against him than anyone.

I don’t think there’s much of a market for Olynyk unfortunately and no I’m not remotely interested in Tucker. I’ve cooled a bit on KO but probably not for the same reasons as you. I don’t like the fact that he’s gotten so gun shy on open spot up threes when he makes that shot as well as anybody. I hate when he keeps deferring and then Beasley or Clarkson or even Conley throws up a well covered prayer.

The guy did an excellent job keeping Vuc out of the paint last night. He had more blocks than anybody. Unfortunately, he seems to get more ticky tack fouls called against him than anyone.

The warriors made all the sense in the world a month ago but he has been so bad over the last few weeks that they may have lost interest. I still think Wiseman is worth a cheap look though so I would gladly trade him for Olynyk. The player I really wanted was Patrick Baldwin as part of a Wiseman deal but that dream is dead with Olynyk falling off and Baldwin showing tons of potential.