What's new

Jared Dudley interested in Utah

Uhh, why not? What else are we going to spend the money on next year?

Batum, Mayo, Barbosa, Bayless, Afflalo, Jamal Crawford, Courtney Lee...

And let's see if there will be interesting players at the Olympic Games in Brazil.

Last edited:
Dudley would be way better than any of those dudes. Mayo ?? yikes. I agree about checking out the Olympics tho

I don't really know if that's a lot or a little anymore but it seems that lately the idea is that money no longer matters and so each team should just pay every player the maximum amount of money that the market demands every time.
So I guess I'm still down.

8-10 Million in 2016-17 is roughly equivalent to 6-7.5 Million in 2015-16. 8-10 Million in 2017-18 is roughly equivalent to 5-6.5 Million in 2015-16. So yeah, that's still decently inexpensive. About what we should be paying for a 7th man veteran leader.

The thing is, unless they restructure someones contract, if they sign Dudley at 10 million that still leaves them 19 million they have to use. There's not really anyone worth that kind of money. Conley isn't gonna sign with the Jazz.

He turns 31 this summer.

Solid numbers all around. The Wiz sucked though which concerns me. How is he defensively?

The thing is, unless they restructure someones contract, if they sign Dudley at 10 million that still leaves them 19 million they have to use. There's not really anyone worth that kind of money. Conley isn't gonna sign with the Jazz.

I wouldn't do 10M. I'd pitch a 2 year, 15M offer. Maybe.

I agree fournier and batum are rfa and so sign them is not going to happen with out giving something up.

Barnes is also restricted but gsw is in trouble payroll wise and a big contract could get him. Hayward would have to play the 2 which i am not estatic about.

I think with the right pitch ddr coukd come to utah. I disagree with ddr being a bad fit. Hayward would flourish with ddr drawing double teams.

I also really really like the idea of conley. If the jazz got conley i would like the dudley signing a lot more.

Sent from my LG-D851 using JazzFanz mobile app

Did you see Barnes last night? He was the 4th choice on the floor and he played like a hot pile of trash.

No Barnes and no Love.

It's just nice to see a player who seems too realize it's not all about what clubs or such he can go out to, but genuinely wants to help make a team better.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using JazzFanz mobile app

Dudley wants to go to Boston? What?

"Through the course of the show Dudley and Russell hit on everything and anything, with a specific focus on the Celtics who the former made clear that he would love to join: “To be honest with you when you listen to people, a lot of these sports writers on your show are pretty accurate. I think I would be a pretty good fit for Boston in the sense that they need shooting. You can never have too much veteran leadership. They’re a team that’s obviously led by Brad Stevens who is a great coach and they’ve done well, but the key to a young team is developing that young talent. They have the number three pick here in the draft and you can never have (enough) people who know how to play the right way, know their role.” – via Celtics Blog

catbug-meme-generator-i-thought-i-was-the-only-one-e57eae.jpg

Utah and Boston are both up and coming teams that could use a good vet.

Seems like Dudley is dialed in.

They can use part of that to extend favors... It's complex but I expect the Jazz to save 10-12 M in space to do that.

$$$$ don't matter as much as years for Dudley. 2 years 20 M is great... I'd probably do a two year deal worth 30 M... Second year would only be 1 or 2 M guaranteed. If Hayward bails you keep him with the space. He'd also be a good trade asset of unguaranteed.

He is going to be in the 12-15 million dollar range per year.

You are insane. He currently makes $4.25 Million per year. He's a journeyman at this point in his career having played for 4 teams in 5 years and 7 teams in his 9 year career. With the NBA cap-hymen about to pop like a cherry, I understand that he should expect a raise. But the league is all giddy about a 10% - 15% raise. A 15% raise would leave Dudley at $4.8 million. Let's say that we offer him a 15% raise to come here and the market adds 15% on top of that... He would make a whopping $5.5 million. That would be a pretty awesome raise for him.

He got under 8 points per game. He hit a record high 3 pt fg% in 2015 that is up from the previous year.

I like him as an free agent pickup. He fits. But anything about $5.5 million would be outrageous. $5 million is a good deal for both sides IMHO.

You are insane. He currently makes $4.25 Million per year. He's a journeyman at this point in his career having played for 4 teams in 5 years and 7 teams in his 9 year career. With the NBA cap-hymen about to pop like a cherry, I understand that he should expect a raise. But the league is all giddy about a 10% - 15% raise. A 15% raise would leave Dudley at $4.8 million. Let's say that we offer him a 15% raise to come here and the market adds 15% on top of that... He would make a whopping $5.5 million. That would be a pretty awesome raise for him.

He got under 8 points per game. He hit a record high 3 pt fg% in 2015 that is up from the previous year.

I like him as an free agent pickup. He fits. But anything about $5.5 million would be outrageous. $5 million is a good deal for both sides IMHO.
Just wait, you will see.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Just wait, you will see.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I will see that plenty of teams will offer players funny money and smart teams won't buy in to terrible deals. If it takes $12 - $15 million per year for a 7th option journeyman in the league, then how much room is their for all stars? A starter in the league would have to make $25 million and an all star would be $40 million. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. If someone throws $7 million at Dudley then the Jazz shouldn't even get close to that.

Guys... settle down here. The league is going to make 15% more on top of normal inflation and 3% bumps. That is a big deal, but owner's run businesses here... it's not the circus. If Prokorov or the Blazers offer a toxic contract on a guy like Dudley it would be for no more than $7 million which would be an 65% salary raise for the dude. Did the NBA deal increase incomes by 65%? NOPE. He's an asset, but he's not even a starter. I know that there is a free agent that said Jazz... but this is just outrageous and count me out on any deal for more than $5.5 million for Dudley. I prefer my chances with a 2nd rounder and saving $$$ for an all star for $30 million.

Cy is insane.

But he's right here. Dudley signed his deal in a different era. He will get at least 10 M per year... The years not per year numbers are the biggest concern with him.

A great Vet who can play stretch 4 and hit threes and isn't a minus on defence?

He'll be getting 10 mil a year this offseason. Amir Johnson is making 12 right now based off of LAST year's cap.

A great Vet who can play stretch 4 and hit threes and isn't a minus on defence?

He'll be getting 10 mil a year this offseason. Amir Johnson is making 12 right now based off of LAST year's cap.

Then count me WAY out. We can get a whole lot more value out of a hungry second round pick for $700,000 or a hungry, hand selected D-League player than we can for Dudley at $10 million. Thanks for your interest, but no thanks. Also, I was mistaken on the 15% increase. The cap is projected around 85 - 90 up from 70. That's a 21 - 28% increase. $5.5 million is a 30% increase in salary for Dudley which is right on with the cap increase on a high end. If you equate that the cap should go up again in 2017 with projections as high as $108 then the raise would be 54%. If we were desperate and expecting the 2017 world now, then the highest normal valuation for someone would be a 60% raise. So, let's play that game.

$4.25 million journeyman x 60% = $6.8 million. $12.5 - $15 million is a 300% - 350% raise. The salary cap did NOT go from 70 million to 210 million folks. If you really want a 7th option for 16% of your salary then you are fools. I don't care what the league is paying for a player... let the circus happen. Count the Jazz out on a deal like that. I don't believe that he is worth $6.8 million either but if the Jazz REALLY think he's the fit, then they would probably pay that. I wouldn't.

Then count me WAY out. We can get a whole lot more value out of a hungry second round pick for $700,000 or a hungry, hand selected D-League player than we can for Dudley at $10 million. Thanks for your interest, but no thanks. Also, I was mistaken on the 15% increase. The cap is projected around 85 - 90 up from 70. That's a 21 - 28% increase. $5.5 million is a 30% increase in salary for Dudley which is right on with the cap increase on a high end. If you equate that the cap should go up again in 2017 with projections as high as $108 then the raise would be 54%. If we were desperate and expecting the 2017 world now, then the highest normal valuation for someone would be a 60% raise. So, let's play that game.

$4.25 million journeyman x 60% = $6.8 million. $12.5 - $15 million is a 300% - 350% raise. The salary cap did NOT go from 70 million to 210 million folks. If you really want a 7th option for 16% of your salary then you are fools. I don't care what the league is paying for a player... let the circus happen. Count the Jazz out on a deal like that. I don't believe that he is worth $6.8 million either but if the Jazz REALLY think he's the fit, then they would probably pay that. I wouldn't.

His prior year salary means nothing... U can stop using that number. We have to get to the salary floor. We could add 10-12 M on favors salary to do an extension and would still have enough money to offer 10-12 to a vet and be close to the floor. So the 700k d league guy doesn't do us any damned good because he's cheap.

Also if 40% 3 point shooters could just be had on the cheap we'd get one... They aren't there.

Dudley has been one of the top players in RPM for two different teams in the last two years. What he does goes beyond his raw scoring numbers. Doesn't use a ton of possessions but uses a few really efficiently and spaces the floor for everyone. Can play 3 or 4 and isn't a lockdown defender but he's good and smart. Accepts a mentor role and doesn't want to be a ring chaser.

I also think you are seeing the FA market for what it will be... Everyone who you think might get a max will absolutely get one... There will also be some surprising near max deals. 2/3 of the teams have a max offer they can make... Philly and Brooklyn both have money and will be used as leverage, just like Sacramento has been the last few years.

Lots of money + not lots of players = huge pay raises for most