What's new

Jazz a middling franchise?

It's been a rough time going since the Jazz let Boozer go for Al Jefferson. Think about it. We lost our franchise player for...uh...Favors? Kanter? Two guys that led us to the worst record in the West. Our top 10 pick is an undersized PG. We just drafted a HUGE project at #5. We will probably be a top 5 team again this next year. We are still 2-3 years away from contending...for a playoff spot. Sloan quit and Corbin sucked.

In all seriousness, what was the one move the last 5 years that screams we are headed in the right direction? What happens if Exum busts out? If Exum doesn't turn into a superstar, we are the Timberwolves or Kings.

We are right there teetering on the line of team with a plan who will be amazing in 5 years and horrible run franchise stuck in the lottery for the next 5 years.

Our future for the next 5-10 years rests in Exum and our pick this next year's hands. Crazy.

I didn't even mention maxing out Hayward. There isn't a single move we've done the last 4 years that has been a home run. If Exum doesn't pan out, there probably isn't a single move we've made that grades out better than a "C".

Yes. We entered the coaching carousel with Sloans departure. We haven't had any players break out, and we have problems keeping our players in SLC.

We have become the definition of middling.

It's been a rough time going since the Jazz let Boozer go for Al Jefferson. Think it. We lost our franchise player for...uh...Favors? Kanter? Two guys that led us to the worst record in the West. Our top 10 pick is an undersized PG. We just drafted a HUGE project at #5. We will probably be a top 5 team again this next year. We are still 2-3 years away from contending...for a playoff spot. Sloan quit and Corbin sucked.

In all seriousness, what was the one move the last 5 years that screams we are headed in the right direction? What happens if Exum busts out? If Exum doesn't turn into a superstar, we are the Timberwolves or Kings.

We are right there teetering on the line of team with a plan who will be amazing in 5 years and horrible run franchise stuck in the lottery for the next 5 years.

Our future for the next 5-10 years rests in Exum and our pick this next year's hands. Crazy.

I didn't even mention maxing out Hayward. There isn't a single move we've done the last 4 years that has been a home run. If Exum doesn't pan out, there probably isn't a single move we've made that grades out better than a "C".

Yes. We entered the coaching carousel with Sloans departure. We haven't had any players break out, and we have problems keeping our players in SLC.

We have become the definition of middling.

Yes, we haven't had any players break out, but every single one of them has improved an aspect of their game every year. For most of them, last year was the first season they saw consistent minutes, so expecting them to break out then, under that roster/coaching situation is wildly unreasonable.

We have problems keeping our players in SLC? Who? If we wanted them, they've stayed. I think you are confusing natural roster turnover of non key players for players not wanting to be here. We only want players if they fit our situation. D-Will, who should probably hate our organization because of the bad rep he's gotten after his fight with Sloan/retirement/trade, has spoken very highly of Utah every single season since he's been traded. Korver, Millsap, Kirilenko, Big Al, Marvin, etc. all speak very highly of the Jazz, often times more highly than they speak of their own teams. Derrick Favors spent his whole summer here, has a house, and is firmly grounded in the community. Hayward and his wife say they are looking for a house. As other players get their contracts/certainty, they will put down their roots as well.

Some Jazz fans suffer from a poor self image. Love yourself, team, and community-- it's OK.

My hell green!!! We are not the Kings or pups!!! Quit being a whiny little Nancy.

If the Jazz had drafted smart or Randle or someone else that was considered in that range, you'd be complaining that the Jazz were idiots for passing on Exum. How the hell can you call that pick a mistake?!?! After Wiggins, Parker, Exum was considered the next most likely to be a star, for hell's sake he was being compared to Kobe, and all these other great players.

Green stop you're complaining. If he busts, he busts doesn't mean the Jazz are a bad franchise.

Sometimes you need a little luck. For example the Spurs being really bad that one year and getting really lucky getting the #1 pick.

Last I recall, everyone not named Orangello loved and endorsed the Burke pick. Let's also not forget that other then Hayward, the rest of the c4 got consistent big minutes for the first time. I can definitely see two of those players breaking out big time this year. I think Favors breaks out big this year. Also lets not forget that other then one guy, the oldest player is 24!!! This is an insanely young team. A team doesn't rebuild over night, and it takes years to build a contender.

Bottom line is slow your roll!! The Jazz have some great pieces to build around. Will Exum take some time? Yes, but he looks like he could be very good in a few years. Hayward, regardless of what some think, given the right role on the team is very good. Favors may end up being a 14/10 player, with best case being a 17/12 player, and Burks and Kanter could be the offensive scorers this team has needed since Sap and Jefferson left. How do you expect the Jazz to look good or even look like they are on track with Corbin as coach. He was a disaster to this team. Quin is looking like a good fit and is known as being great developer of talent. Look what he did with Carroll and Korver. I'm very excited about this hire!

There is so much to be excited about.

Go Jazz!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the last 3 years The Jazz appear to have been more interested in managing the cap than creating a winning team. The optimist in me hopes Corbin was a "conduit coach" while the Jazz re-organized for bigger and better things - but I have my doubts.

The pessimist in me says what I said when Greggy took control of the team. And that's The Jazz FO will continue to field a mediocre team that is just competitive enough to continue to take advantage of their unique market niche in Utah in order to remain profitable.

What I do know is if Utah has another 3 years like the last 3 years, I'm outta here.

Whoa nelly. Slow down there boy. It's time to dust off the ol' old site skills and go S2M on you here.

My hell green!!! We are not the Kings or pups!!! Quit being a whiny little Nancy.

Who is whining. All I did was state some facts. It is what it is. Since Utah let Boozer walk, the organization hasn't really made a correct move.

If the Jazz had drafted smart or Randle or someone else that was considered in that range, you'd be complaining that the Jazz were idiots for passing on Exum. How the hell can you call that pick a mistake?!?! After Wiggins, Parker, Exum was considered the next most likely to be a star, for hell's sake he was being compared to Kobe, and all these other great players.

Please show me where I said drafting Exum was a mistake? I've been very supportive of the pick. I'm the one telling people to pretend Exum isn't on the team, because he will suck this year. You can't judge him for another 3-4 years. It was a great pick. BUT, if Exum doesn't pan out...

That's what I am saying. Exum is still a HUGE risk. He could turn out to be Penny Hardaway...or...uh, that really talented guy who was drafted top 5 but didn't pan out.

Green stop you're complaining. If he busts, he busts doesn't mean the Jazz are a bad franchise.

Forcing Sloan out (or allowing a player to force Sloan out), trading Deron for not much, taking Kanter over Thompson and Leonard (yeah, I get other teams passed them over as well, but good franchises don't. There is a reason why SA traded for Leonard. They are a good franchise). Letting Boozer go for nothing, letting Matthews go for nothing, holding onto Al and Paul for too long, or maybe letting Paul go for nothing. We know Millsap is a better player than Favors or Kanter, and we let him walk for nothing. Signing Hayward to a max. Keeping Corbin and letting Horny go for nothing.

What out of that group of decisions shows you Utah is a good franchise?

Sometimes you need a little luck. For example the Spurs being really bad that one year and getting really lucky getting the #1 pick.

Absolutely. And sometimes you don't tempt fate by making a string of horrible decisions.

Last I recall, everyone not named Orangello loved and endorsed the Burke pick. Let's also not forget that other then Hayward, the rest of the c4 got consistent big minutes for the first time. I can definitely see two of those players breaking out big time this year. I think Favors breaks out big this year. Also lets not forget that other then one guy, the oldest player is 24!!! This is an insanely young team. A team doesn't rebuild over night, and it takes years to build a contender.

Bottom line is slow your roll!! The Jazz have some great pieces to build around. Will Exum take some time? Yes, but he looks like he could be very good in a few years. Hayward, regardless of what some think, given the right role on the team is very good. Favors may end up being a 14/10 player, with best case being a 17/12 player, and Burks and Kanter could be the offensive scorers this team has needed since Sap and Jefferson left. How do you expect the Jazz to look good or even look like they are on track with Corbin as coach. He was a disaster to this team. Quin is looking like a good fit and is known as being great developer of talent. Look what he did with Carroll and Korver. I'm very excited about this hire!

There is so much to be excited about.

Go Jazz!!!

I hope you are right. Because if you are wrong, we are Minnesota or Sacramento. Lots of young talent and lots of losses.

DL has a plan. Part of that plan is asset accumulation for flexibility within the salary cap and player contracts. DL hasn't cashed in his chips yet to go for it. If you cash them in too early, it will be expensive and rob us of our flexibility. Yes, the Hayward contract did restrict us a lot, but we either had to bite the bullet and take a few steps back or go forward. I still have faith in DL's plan, but I admit it sucks being patient and wishing the Jazz were making "homerun" moves that were dramatically making us better.

Also, most drafts people whine about how the Jazz missed on some guy...

Last year we got arguably the 3rd best prospect from the draft with the 14 + 18th picks. Trey is no Durant, but we maximized value when we can and eventually it has to pay off.

Also, we snagged Gobert and his huge... 'triomphe'. It was a weak draft and we did about as good as you could do with our picks.

Whoa nelly. Slow down there boy. It's time to dust off the ol' old site skills and go S2M on you here.

Who is whining. All I did was state some facts. It is what it is. Since Utah let Boozer walk, the organization hasn't really made a correct move.

Please show me where I said drafting Exum was a mistake? I've been very supportive of the pick. I'm the one telling people to pretend Exum isn't on the team, because he will suck this year. You can't judge him for another 3-4 years. It was a great pick. BUT, if Exum doesn't pan out...

That's what I am saying. Exum is still a HUGE risk. He could turn out to be Penny Hardaway...or...uh, that really talented guy who was drafted top 5 but didn't pan out.

Forcing Sloan out (or allowing a player to force Sloan out), trading Deron for not much, taking Kanter over Thompson and Leonard (yeah, I get other teams passed them over as well, but good franchises don't. There is a reason why SA traded for Leonard. They are a good franchise). Letting Boozer go for nothing, letting Matthews go for nothing, holding onto Al and Paul for too long, or maybe letting Paul go for nothing. We know Millsap is a better player than Favors or Kanter, and we let him walk for nothing. Signing Hayward to a max. Keeping Corbin and letting Horny go for nothing.

What out of that group of decisions shows you Utah is a good franchise?

Absolutely. And sometimes you don't tempt fate by making a string of horrible decisions.

I hope you are right. Because if you are wrong, we are Minnesota or Sacramento. Lots of young talent and lots of losses.

You want to know what makes me think this is a good franchise?!?! Basically everything you complained about i like except the Burke trade. Hated it when the trade was announced.

So basically this org is headed in the right direction because you feel otherwise! Rome wasn't built in a day us know. I don't really think you understand the business of the NBA and what a crapshoot it is.

Oh and one thing you said that bothers me is you criticizing the Jazz for taking Kanter over Thompson and Leonard. No one team in the NBA would've taken either over Thompson over Kanter. He was considered a top 3-5 pick by everyone. That's just stupidity on your part.

Also, most drafts people whine about how the Jazz missed on some guy...

Last year we got arguably the 3rd best prospect from the draft with the 14 + 18th picks. Trey is no Durant, but we maximized value when we can and eventually it has to pay off.

Also, we snagged Gobert and his huge... 'triomphe'. It was a weak draft and we did about as good as you could do with our picks.

Getting Burke is the one thing or one decision I didn't, and still don't like. He is what I thought he was before the draft. A guy who would be an undersized un athletic middle of the draft prospect. And he's looking like it

The OP linked only to an article that rates San Antonio number one. It says nothing whatsoever about Utah. We are complaining that the Jazz are rated as middling and we don't even know anything about their rating? How about linking to the article that rates the Jazz?

The OP linked only to an article that rates San Antonio number one. It says nothing whatsoever about Utah. We are complaining that the Jazz are rated as middling and we don't even know anything about their rating? How about linking to the article that rates the Jazz?

Yeah I'm really curious to see how they assess their ratings.

As far as I'm aware, the Jazz are involved in their communities moreso than most other franchises that I know of. The Jazz have a Utah-wide representation during the summers, and I'm always impressed.

My only complaint over the last few years is that we didn't move from Jefferson fast enough. He should have been traded.

Also, we should have done better with the tank job.

I like the idea of a slow rebuild through the draft. Which the Jazz have done. It could have been a little better, but not much.

Overall I'm happy and super excited for next season and beyond. I think we'll be good and in the playoffs for years to come. Will we win the Championship? Probably not, who knows though, maybe.

My only complaint over the last few years is that we didn't move from Jefferson fast enough. He should have been traded.

Also, we should have done better with the tank job.

I like the idea of a slow rebuild through the draft. Which the Jazz have done. It could have been a little better, but not much.

Overall I'm happy and super excited for next season and beyond. I think we'll be good and in the playoffs for years to come. Will we win the Championship? Probably not, who knows though, maybe.
This