What's new

Jazz acquire NAW and Juancho Hernangomez for Ingles, Hughes, and two 2nd round picks.

I know Mike's old AF but he's still playing at such a high level. On the one hand I really don't want to lose him, but on the other hand, I can't help but wonder if we should move him while he still has value. Don't want to wait until he has a big drop-off or injury or something and it's too late.
I think we should move him while he has value. We have let enough guys walk for nothing, we need to start to recoup some of the massive assets we have thrown away to off-load bad contracts or selling guys low. We should at least look at selling moderately-high on that one.

I know Mike's old AF but he's still playing at such a high level. On the one hand I really don't want to lose him, but on the other hand, I can't help but wonder if we should move him while he still has value. Don't want to wait until he has a big drop-off or injury or something and it's too late.
He's still getting it done. There have just been some nights recently where isn't getting separation and it worries me. It may have partly been due to playing without Rudy or in an increased minute/activity role for a while. He's the guy I worry most about dropping off... I think Bogey plays at this level or close to it for another 3ish years if health cooperates.

I’ve always kind of thought that the Jazz need to cut one of their “premium” assets by trading for a cheaper, younger asset. They kinda did that if you count NAW as the replacement for Ingles, but it does add long term money and the Jazz could get close to ducking the tax.

Having Bogey+Clarkson is nice, but having both is expensive and you already have a surplus of scoring. Instead of trading all of our picks to get rid of the Oni’s and Tucker’s we could have gotten picks for trading Bogey or Clarkson and still cut money. TBF, it seems like they had a deal lined up for Ingles and Quin said no.

I think we still need to make that type of move. Hopefully Clarkson has some value and we trade him into someone’s space. If not, I think we could do the same for Bogey and get some picks back. At some point you are going to have to rely on a $3M player like Niang instead of a near $15-20M player.

I’m not sure if the Jazz are going to be able to keep Don+Rudy for many more years, but lookout for a Conley+Smart trade going forward.
If we are counting NAW as the replacement to Ingles then we got some issues... I get what you are saying.

I don't see us in the tax next year unless the trades for JC, Bogey, Gay, NAW, Conley are just terrible. I think the Conley Smart deal is the type of thing that happens and then they make a side move to offload some money that takes them all the way under the tax.

I could also see a move like Conley and Bogey or Gay for Brogdon. Shorter money from Indiana but a win now move after a one year pause. I think that Brogdon deal could become bad with his red flags and the length of the deal... but it may push the window out another year or two.

Let me be clear... I like Mike and think he is really good... he very well may continue to be good and there are other deals that could be made. I just think there will be some larger salary moves that happen unless we get to the conference finals.

I think Mike will be our de-facto starter until the final year of his deal, even if his minutes decline. I could see him being moved potentially in the last year of his deal though.

I think we should move him while he has value. We have let enough guys walk for nothing, we need to start to recoup some of the massive assets we have thrown away to off-load bad contracts or selling guys low. We should at least look at selling moderately-high on that one.
I think it depends on how far we go this year. if we end up competing for a championship we are probably just gonna run it back and reload. anything less expect major changes.

Talk about coming from left field. I can’t believe we did this. I am ****ing ecstatic. Grabbing NAW is huge.

Lmao you guys ****ing crack me up I’m legit laughing. If you come into the trade deadline with the expectation of dumping Ingles and a pick to get off salary you’d be a lot happier than you are. I’m super hyped I must be higher on NAW than the rest of you. He has talent.

NAW is a huge get. You’ll all realize this soon enough and I will be ready to bump this thread.

Yes, I am going to believe the **** franchise that is Portland was so concerned about receiving NAW’s 5M salary for next year but is completely fine with taking Bledsoe and his massive contract.

Please tell me what players New Orleans has drafted that turned out any good. They are a **** franchise too. No player is setup to succeed there. Sometimes a change of scenery is what someone needs. He’s 23 and has a ton of talent. He was the 17th pick in the draft for a reason.

His stats as a starter are actually pretty good.

17.3 PPG, 4.6 RPG, 2.9 APG, 1.1 SPG, 42.2% from field and 35% from 3 in 33 games as a starter in 32.1 MPG.

My god people we gave up someone who wasn’t gonna play for us this season or next. He’s 23 and was the 17th overall pick in the 2019 draft. Stop acting like we gave up two first round picks for him.

You really said this part in response to me? Lol. I have been just as critical of the front office as you have been. DL ****ed up around the edges, his cap guy ****ing sucks and we have burned picks to get out of **** situation he put us in.

I like picking up NAW. Gaining a potential asset for someone we all thought was going to be salary dumped anyway is not bad in my opinion. Especially with how empty our asset cupboard is at the moment. We haven’t even seen the rotation yet or seen how he has played for us. I love Butler a lot like you do and it’s criminal he doesn’t play more but give the guy a chance first.

I’m not saying he’s going to come in and contribute 25 MPG a night but damn we didn’t give up anything for him it’s a good flier to take.

I owned this thread.

Only game he’s got more than 15 mins in and he plays great. Coincidence? I think not.
He showed that he has some promise in a completely different role than he has ever been in before. He has to be able to do that consistently before taking a victory lap. But congratulations, at least for me he's gone from a non rotation player, to a guy who might have something there.

I was a little surprised to see people praising his defense so much on twitter. To me, it looked like Lavine and Derozan were having their way with him and the numbers show that as well. I'm not bothered by it though because it's what I would have expected. Derozan and Lavine are great, and man to man defense has never been NAW's thing. He's not worse than any of our other perimeter defenders, and it's a good sign for him that Quin is trusting him so much to guard opposing players...even Derozan who is much bigger than him. As much as we like Forrest's defense, Quin isn't putting Forrest on opposing wings so it's interesting that Quin see's the potential in NAW to do that job. Good sign for NAW's future even if I didn't think he was really locking anyone down.

He hit shots, which is obviously great, if he can continue to that it will be huge for him. It's been a struggle for him but if he can knock down open shots he can stick around in this league. I actually thought his best play was the transition and-one he scored. It gave me shades of young Alec Burks. You could tell from that one play he has NBA size, athleticism, length, and skill. Just has to put it all together.

It's important that the Jazz figure out who they have in the remaining games. Hope NAW keeps getting chances.

Best thing about NAW is that he has plenty of experience. He wasnt as scared/tentative as the Jazz end of bench guys have been the last few years. He's also clearly trying very hard on D.

His defense looks good to me. I thought he did a great job on Derozan most possession. Yeah there was some where he got cooked, but it's Demar Derozan. He's been a top 20 guy this year. Cant expect perfection.

Maybe too early to call, but he should get the opportunity to surpass Forrest on the depth chart.

Locke had some interesting thoughts on Juancho as a good rebounder who can hit the corner 3 (historically, not this year), and how he might fit in the end of quarter/beginning of quarter lineup. It was towards the end of the podcast today.

So basically, how he would fit in place of Rudy Gay? With how poor Gay has been, I'd be all for giving it a try...I don't think Quin will do it though. I really wish Juancho was the one we had signed for the next two seasons and Gay was the one who's contract was non-guaranteed after this season. I'd like to see what Juancho could do in our system after some development by Quin and the rest of the coaching staff.

So basically, how he would fit in place of Rudy Gay? With how poor Gay has been, I'd be all for giving it a try...I don't think Quin will do it though. I really wish Juancho was the one we had signed for the next two seasons and Gay was the one who's contract was non-guaranteed after this season. I'd like to see what Juancho could do in our system after some development by Quin and the rest of the coaching staff.
Right, I'm not necessarily convinced, but it was interesting. I'm not out on Rudy Gay yet, but I'm getting close.

It’s an idea I’m comfortable with. He can come in and play Bojan’s role. Obviously less scoring and mostly just spot up, but that’s what we want from Bojan anyway. What he loses there he makes up with some rebounding. I think it’s a more seemless transition if you’re looking to run everything as similar as possible and not give different looks (which is what Quin tends to like).