What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

So I might buy a share in a cow. Anyone do this? Grass fed…14 day dry aged…get 100 pounds butchered for $975. 40 pounds of ground beef and then 60 pounds of other good ****…rib eyes, porterhouses, etc. And for the reason you mentioned…stuff has gotten so expensive. Five Guys might be the worse of them. I was so. Annoyed by their price the other day, I took like 14 scoops of peanuts to go.
I got a half a cow earlier from a neighbor and split it with my SIL & BIL. Think it came out to a little over $5/lb. I haven’t bought beef at a grocery store in years, and nothing I get at restaurants compares to what I eat at home. I rarely order steak anymore, so that saves money too lol.

Fwiw, you’re paying more for grass fed when it typically doesn’t taste as good as a conventionally fed beef, and for their entire lives outside of finishing they are usually eating the same foods. Grass fed beef is usually leaner though, so that might be your preference. I like em fatty.

Fwiw, you’re paying more for grass fed when it typically doesn’t taste as good as a conventionally fed beef, and for their entire lives outside of finishing they are usually eating the same foods. Grass fed beef is usually leaner though, so that might be your preference. I like em fatty.
Grass fed AND grass finished is outstanding and uncommon. Still plenty fatty with big impact on flavor and tenderness.

Would much prefer swaps to protected (other teams’) picks, personally.

I think you’re in the ballpark, but I would shoot for:
-unprotected ‘23/‘26/‘28 picks
-swaps in ‘24/‘25/‘27 (I think it would be good to spread some of the picks out, I would generally prefer, say, two picks a year rather than three one year and one the next)
-The Mavs ‘23 pick (I am all the way down for loading up on picks from this draft)
-Toppin, and one of Quickley or Grimes (preferred). Bundle that incoming guard to LA so they give us ‘27-‘29 swap(s)/pick(s).

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what a pick swap is, but don’t we essentially get nothing if our pick is better than NY’s pick, and isn’t it a virtual certainty our picks will be better than NY’s in ‘24 and ‘25? Wouldn’t pick swaps in the later ‘20s be more valuable?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what a pick swap is, but don’t we essentially get nothing if our pick is better than NY’s pick, and isn’t it a virtual certainty our picks will be better than NY’s in ‘24 and ‘25?
With a franchise like the Knicks, nothing is certain.

"The Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Hornets, Miami Heat, Sacramento Kings, Toronto Raptors and Washington Wizards have all talked Mitchell trades with Utah." - Shams

"The Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Hornets, Miami Heat, Sacramento Kings, Toronto Raptors and Washington Wizards have all talked Mitchell trades with Utah." - Shams
Anyone wanna do the rundown of how many picks and young players each of these teams could include?

The Kings, Hornets, and Wizards jump out to me as interesting because their picks are historically good.

Call your shot — what will the trade end up being?

Here’s my guess:

Fournier
Grimes
Toppin
3 unprotected Knicks FRPs
3 FRPs Knicks have from other teams

23/25/27’ Knicks 1st round picks (unprotected)
29’ Knicks 1st round pick (top 10 protected)
26/28’ Knicks pick swaps
23’ 1st round pick from Dallas (top 10 protected)
25’ 1st round pick from Milwaukee (top 4 protected)
Two future 2nd round picks
PF: Obi Toppin
SG: Quentin Grimes
SF: Evan Fournier (salary purposes)
Rights to PG: Rokas Jokubaitis

Knicks fans are devastated.

Grass fed AND grass finished is outstanding and uncommon. Still plenty fatty with big impact on flavor and tenderness.
My son-in-law's family raises beef cattle, angus, and they are grazed (grass-fed) then finished on forage with a supplement concentrate of alfalfa, soy husk, and other high-quality forage for weight gain. Produces some awesome tasting beef with the right marbling and fattiness imo, but leaner somewhat than grain finished or grain fed entirely. They also do some in higher confinement (although not total confinement) to increase fat stores, as foraging reduces fat stores, and they do some grain finished for some customers. We typically get a half beef from them every year and a half or so, which ends up being a rib, long loin, and sirloin primals, that I then dry-age for steaks. We also get maybe 200 lbs of ground beef, and a couple hundred-ish pounds of other random cuts/roasts, including 2 tri-tips and 2 picanha. It has been a revelation. I usually get around 25 nice dry-aged steaks, mixed between new york strip, loin/sirloin, ribeye, etc. We also get a few really lean roasts, like the sirloin tip roast, which is just a hunk of muscle with almost no intramuscular fat, and we slow roast that at 175 degrees on the smoker for 4-6 hours until it hits 135 internal, then we thin slice it for sandwiches, which gives us 6-8 pounds of premium slow-roasted sandwich meat. The brisket we get is usually a little smaller than I like to smoke so I cook it Italian beef style with a nice jus and make italian beef sandwiches a few times, as it still generates a good 20 lbs of finished meat. We have loved having this kind of access to premium beef. Most of the cuts we get as family are somewhere between choice and prime, sometimes full-on prime, just depends on what they are doing to butcher. They usually use butchering for family to cull the herd or for specific animals that might not do as well at market, or they just take a nice one that is fully ready and we get a real treat with prime beef for a year and a half.

There is no doubt the grass-fed beef has a different flavor. Some like it, some do not. We have had a few funky ones for sure, when the forage has had more sage or other weeds of different kinds in the pastures, or if it was a little bit of an older cow. Mostly though we really like the grass-fed flavor. Grain-fed tends to be more neutral in flavor and it is what people are used to, although my SIL has eaten grass-fed his entire life so when we cooked a few tri-tip from a local butcher he commented a lot about how it tasted bland and kind of boring and asked why that was.

Let Donovan see these leaked names and put some pressure on NY to pony up. Start leaking more Sacramento rumors. We need a video of Vivek getting excited about Mitchell.

That video is so cringy. After Don gets traded to New York, who can we trade for Sacramento future picks? What a horribly run franchise.
The new GM has been fine… the Sabonis trade was terrible imo but I think he’s starting to feel the heat. I forget that GMs name but he was such a yes man. Vivek needed(needs) a no man. In retrospect I’m so glad we got Ainge. This could have easily been Ryan.

Anyone wanna do the rundown of how many picks and young players each of these teams could include?

The Kings, Hornets, and Wizards jump out to me as interesting because their picks are historically good.

The link above is a nice guide on what teams have what picks. Outside of the Knicks, no teams have extra 1st rounders.