What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

Jazz are continuing discussions with Wiz and Hornets at least.
The packages those teams can offer is hot garbage unless the Hornets make their 23 pick they owe to SA unprotected... then its like 3 unprotected picks and swaps plus Washington, Bouknight, Rozier, and Mark Williams. They also own a Denver pick.

Wiz is even worse because to give us more than 1 pick they either have to get the Knicks to let them remove protections or can only give us conditional picks... Kispert, Davis, Deni is pretty meh for a rebuilding team.

Hornets maybe... but I think it is Knicks, Raps, Heat as the preferred trade partner in that order.

This isn't all that surprising. I 'm sure talks will pick up again before training camp starts, and hopefully a deal will get done.
I would start to push them for a real offer in a couple weeks. Whether its by getting further down the road with a Miami deal or Toronto deal. They need to feel like it isn't just a waiting game. They need to envision Don in another jersey and feel what it will be like to lose out on yet another star.

The packages those teams can offer is hot garbage unless the Hornets make their 23 pick they owe to SA unprotected... then its like 3 unprotected picks and swaps plus Washington, Bouknight, Rozier, and Mark Williams. They also own a Denver pick.

Wiz is even worse because to give us more than 1 pick they either have to get the Knicks to let them remove protections or can only give us conditional picks... Kispert, Davis, Deni is pretty meh for a rebuilding team.

Hornets maybe... but I think it is Knicks, Raps, Heat as the preferred trade partner in that order.
Kispert/Deni/Davis might be better than IQ/Grimes/Toppin

Kispert/Deni/Davis might be better than IQ/Grimes/Toppin
That's fine... but they owe a pick to NY that is lotto protected:

2023 - 1-14
2024 - 1-12
2025 - 1-10
2026 - 1-8

So they can offer a 2025/27/29 pick only under the conditions that the 2023 pick conveys or they can get NY to amend the protections (good luck). There is a scenario where you only come away with the 2029 Washington pick. Its pretty plausible as well. They miss the playoffs this year and Don and Beal both demand out. You get your picks back if you tank and rebuild so you sell them off.

The Wiz package is terrible.

That's fine... but they owe a pick to NY that is lotto protected:

2023 - 1-14
2024 - 1-12
2025 - 1-10
2026 - 1-8

So they can offer a 2025/27/29 pick only under the conditions that the 2023 pick conveys or they can get NY to amend the protections (good luck). There is a scenario where you only come away with the 2029 Washington pick. Its pretty plausible as well. They miss the playoffs this year and Don and Beal both demand out. You get your picks back if you tank and rebuild so you sell them off.

The Wiz package is terrible.
I would expect them to make the playoffs with Beal/Mitchell/Kuzma/Porzingis as their main 4. I know that's a risk, but I can't imagine that team missing the playoffs with that level of offense.

I guess I'm just higher on their 3 young guys than you. All 3 got good upside. I think Davis could become a 20 ppg scorer. Deni could be an all defensive team swiss army knife. Kispert could be one of the better shooters in the NBA.

I would expect them to make the playoffs with Beal/Mitchell/Kuzma/Porzingis as their main 4. I know that's a risk, but I can't imagine that team missing the playoffs with that level of offense.

I guess I'm just higher on their 3 young guys than you. All 3 got good upside. I think Davis could become a 20 ppg scorer. Deni could be an all defensive team swiss army knife. Kispert could be one of the better shooters in the NBA.
I mean Zinger is likely missing time. They are one 2-3 month injury away from missing the playoffs. Imagine Don playing some pouty BS defense... those guys are all cute in their own way but its no small risk that we'd be taking. Every year that pick doesn't convey we'd lose a potential pick in the deal. Deni/Davis/Kispert ain't better that much better than Quickley/Toppin/Grimes or Herro/Jovic/Yurt. Its an amazingly bad and risky trade.

I mean Zinger is likely missing time. They are one 2-3 month injury away from missing the playoffs. Imagine Don playing some pouty BS defense... those guys are all cute in their own way but its no small risk that we'd be taking. Every year that pick doesn't convey we'd lose a potential pick in the deal. Deni/Davis/Kispert ain't better that much better than Quickley/Toppin/Grimes or Herro/Jovic/Yurt. Its an amazingly bad and risky trade.
So if the pick was guaranteed to convey would you still consider it a bad trade?

So if the pick was guaranteed to convey would you still consider it a bad trade?
No... but unless Knicks want to play along there is no way to guarantee that. Even with Donovan they have like a 50% shot at the playoffs imo.

The galaxy brain move we could do with the Wiz is tell them to get the protections on the pick removed and we will talk... then it improves the asset the Knicks end up giving us. If they won't do it before agreeing to a trade tell them that is exactly why you can't agree to a trade with them now... let them assume some risk.

The galaxy brain move we could do with the Wiz is tell them to get the protections on the pick removed and we will talk... then it improves the asset the Knicks end up giving us. If they won't do it before agreeing to a trade tell them that is exactly why you can't agree to a trade with them now... let them assume some risk.
Can they not do something like giving us the pick if it falls below the Knicks protection range?