What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

I'm thinking about a deal with the Kings right now. I know they can't give us early picks, but they can move protections on their pick to Atlanta and still get us some late picks, which might be more valuable anyway. There shouldn't be a more desperate team either.

If they can make a deal happen around Murray it could also jump start the rebuild and give us someone exciting to watch next year.

Can they not do something like giving us the pick if it falls below the Knicks protection range?
Nope. it rolls forward so it affects every future pick.

Just play both ends against the middle. Tell Washington to go see what it would take to make the pick unprotected. Kind of like a blind auction thing. Wiz make it unprotected maybe we prefer to get 25/27/29 unprotected and 24/26/28 pick swaps... or maybe we prefer a Knicks package with 3 unprotected knicks picks plus the Wiz pick and one of their other protected picks.

Knicks and Wiz both would know that NY COULD trump the bid... but if they dug in the Wiz deal now looks good enough... maybe we'd do it to screw them just a little.

Just have the Wiz lob a call to NY right now asking if they would remove the protections... don't tell them why. Maybe Wizards would do it for another deal anyway and see it as a roadblock. Just give NY something to think about.

Just have the Wiz lob a call to NY right now asking if they would remove the protections... don't tell them why. Maybe Wizards would do it for another deal anyway and see it as a roadblock. Just give NY something to think about.
Maybe they could trade the Dallas and Milwaukee pick to Washington to unprotect their pick?

Maybe they could trade the Dallas and Milwaukee pick to Washington to unprotect their pick?
Huh? In this scenario Wiz might actually have to give something up... NY might do it for nothing... but they certainly aren't giving something up to help them get Donovan (the guy they want).

Knicks would definitely not give up an asset to do that and probably wouldn’t even do it for nothing. The farther out they hold that pick the more valuable it becomes. That’s not likely to be a good pick next year if they got Donovan depending on how good you think they could be. I guess they might do it for nothing like a 2nd if they thought they’d be a lottery team.

Knicks would definitely not give up an asset to do that and probably wouldn’t even do it for nothing. The farther out they hold that pick the more valuable it becomes. That’s not likely to be a good pick next year if they got Donovan depending on how good you think they could be. I guess they might do it for nothing like a 2nd if they thought they’d be a lottery team.
I think they’d do it because the protections limit it quite a bit… but they might not do it if they know it leads directly to Wiz being able to trade for Donovan. Maybe they don’t care and play the super long game and try to get Donovan after a year with the Wiz so they are cool with removing the protections. IDK… super weird situation.

Huh? In this scenario Wiz might actually have to give something up... NY might do it for nothing... but they certainly aren't giving something up to help them get Donovan (the guy they want).
Assume the Wizards don't really want Donovan, they just want to get assets from NYK to make the pick unprotected. The Wizards bet on themselves as a playoff team in order to pick up an additional draft pick.

Knicks do it cuz Utah wants the Wizards pick to be unprotected more than they want two protected first.

I just get the feeling that the dudes that cover this team and the smug Knicks fans think they will get Don only giving up two unprotected picks (plus the other ****** picks they own) and no RJ Barrett… which is just hilarious to me. They can eff off if that is what they are offering. The other offers are better at that point.

Assume the Wizards don't really want Donovan, they just want to get assets from NYK to make the pick unprotected. The Wizards bet on themselves as a playoff team in order to pick up an additional draft pick
The way to do it on their end is for the Jazz to ask the Knicks to go improve that asset by calling the Wiz. Then have the Wiz ask for a couple seconds in order to remove the protections. Then we can use an improved Wiz package as leverage against the Knicks or accept it if we like it better. I think both teams would figure out what is happening and neither would play along but who knows. Ainge may be able to finesse both front offices.

The way to do it on their end is for the Jazz to ask the Knicks to go improve that asset by calling the Wiz. Then have the Wiz ask for a couple seconds in order to remove the protections. Then we can use an improved Wiz package as leverage against the Knicks or accept it if we like it better. I think both teams would figure out what is happening and neither would play along but who knows. Ainge may be able to finesse both front offices.
I don't think the Wizards really want Donovan all that badly, so I don't think they'd be against helping to facilitate Don to NYK if they can get something out of it

I don't think the Wizards really want Donovan all that badly, so I don't think they'd be against helping to facilitate Don to NYK if they can get something out of it
Maybe… but if they really aren’t trying to get him how much would it cost for them to open themselves up to losing what will likely be a lotto pick in a good draft? As it sits that pick may not actually convey. If the Knicks give two firsts just to remove the protections wouldn’t you rather just have those firsts and keep the pick protections on the wiz pick? The protections are a small issue if we do a deal with the Knicks and a huge deal if we do a deal with the Wiz.

I have to say, I never understood the nickname "Spida". Is it from his childhood? Did he give it to himself because he likes spiderman? I do not think it fits at all. If anything he is more like a grasshopper, always jumping off 2 legs.
He has long arms and spider is used for defensive players that gets steals(much more in soccer). He also likes Spider-man but I don't think it was self-given.