What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

More picks and cap flexibility.

Cap flexibility? You do realize we have like 77M in guaranteed salary next year right and that’s including Donovan’s salary.

25M to Barrett or Herro will not affect that much at all especially with a cap spike coming. I’d much rather have one of them on a bargain contract than whatever picks we would get instead.

Cap flexibility? You do realize we have like 77M in guaranteed salary next year right and that’s including Donovan’s salary.

25M to Barrett or Herro will not affect that much at all especially with a cap spike coming. I’d much rather have one of them on a bargain contract than whatever picks we would get instead.
Until the cap spike actually happens (it’s three years away, right?) there will be numerous teams looking to save money on their luxury tax bills.

And being worse for longer. But yes, this is pretty straightforward.

Of course if you can flip one of those guys mid-contract for another giant haul then that’s a counter argument.
The Jazz are probably gonna be terrible either way, but a Herro/Barrett could easily be the difference between the worst record in the league or not.

In 2024 or 2025, are they the difference between a bottom-10 record or not, such that the OKC pick conveys at maximal value and maximal inconvenience for us?

I wouldn’t throw a fit to get and keep either but my preference would be to flip them.

The Jazz are probably gonna be terrible either way, but a Herro/Barrett could easily be the difference between the worst record in the league or not.

In 2024 or 2025, are they the difference between a bottom-10 record or not, such that the OKC pick conveys at maximal value and maximal inconvenience for us?

I wouldn’t throw a fit to get and keep either but my preference would be to flip them.

If Herro or Barrett + whoever we drafted made us better than a top-10 pick that is a great problem to have and means we are way ahead of schedule.

If Herro or Barrett + whoever we drafted made us better than a top-10 pick that is a great problem to have and means we are way ahead of schedule.

I think the argument for not including Barrett in the deal is getting more picks. Picks are the universal NBA currency, so unless we are in love with Barrett I kinda get it. We can always use the picks to get a “Barrett” we like better later on.

So how do we build a championship contending team around Herro. Herro is the guy you get to build around a Mitchell, and #1 Alfa offensive player.

We are not going to build around Herro but he can be a very valuable asset and piece to our team more so than what 2 picks?

I think the argument for not including Barrett in the deal is getting more picks. Picks are the universal NBA currency, so unless we are in love with Barrett I kinda get it. We can always use the picks to get a “Barrett” we like better later on.

Eventually these picks need to turn into something and 22 year old players who average 20 PPG do not grow on trees. We can accumulate all the picks we want but we eventually need actual players.

If the Jazz don't want Barrett because they don't want to pay him, they wouldn't be keeping Herro either.
The idea that the Jazz wouldnt want Barrett or Herro because of paying them doesnt really float to me. Who else they going to pay? Not like a 2nd year max is going to kill your books with how much the cap is going to up in 2025.