What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

We super-maxed the tank-a-thon strategy in the Gobert trade. Now, considering Mitchell, one recurring debate is maximizing unprotected picks (say 4) vs Barrett and say 2-3 unprotected picks. Ultra tank vs tank. Some have pointed out that we can always flip Barrett for 2 picks later on. While I fully like the ultra-tank strategy, I would just make the point that if the front office truly believes Barrett can evolve into a 3rd option on a championship team, then I am happy taking him so long as we receive at least 2-3 unprotected picks from the Knicks. Barrett and 4 unprotected picks would be great, but I don’t think we will get that
I like you’re thought process and I think I agree. I am just entirely skeptical that the Jazz can get the picks and Barrett, and I’m - again - not all that convinced that Barrett is a pillar to build on.

Maybe. I’m convinced I’m gonna continue to lose some weight, get back into killer shape, and start dunking again.

I’ll be 47 on Sunday.

By the way, if I ever attempt this, I’ll have someone video it and post it.

Okay, maybe only if I actually dunk. Failed attempts could be ugly.

By the way, if I ever attempt this, I’ll have someone video it and post it.

Okay, maybe only if I actually dunk. Failed attempts could be ugly.
family-guy.gif

Why is Grimes such a sticking point? He had a lackluster rookie year. Is his potential really that high? Of course I didn't follow him closely at all, like at all. But is there really that much upside there? I know the Jazz get all hard over upside, but still...

@MeloTheJazzKiller what are your thoughts on Grimes?
Because they are just playing hardball and it's better business to act like your guarding your players so in the case that a trade is drawn out you hopefully keep vibes up and dont have your players feel like they are actively being shopped.

Why is Grimes such a sticking point? He had a lackluster rookie year. Is his potential really that high? Of course I didn't follow him closely at all, like at all. But is there really that much upside there? I know the Jazz get all hard over upside, but still...

His ceiling would make the average guy bend over at the waist. He's a good player, but not ever going to be All-Star material. He plays D, he has a good shot (and not afraid to take it), good with the ball...he's simply a pretty good b-ball player in a league of insanely great b-ball players.

One thing going for him here in NY, Thibs really likes him. Grimes was getting starts and a lot of minutes because of Thibs. He was injured often this past year. He did play extremely well in Summer League. He was mentioned as a candidate for Summer League MVP. I like him. He doesn't screw up much, and, as I said, he has a shot. Can sink the long ball when we need it.

If you get him you will be happy with him.

What kind of answer do you think he’s going to give other than he’s better than anyone utah has, hell I know that’s what his answer would be. Lol

His ceiling would make the average guy bend over at the waist. He's a good player, but not ever going to be All-Star material. He plays D, he has a good shot (and not afraid to take it), good with the ball...he's simply a pretty good b-ball player in a league of insanely great b-ball players.

One thing going for him here in NY, Thibs really likes him. Grimes was getting starts and a lot of minutes because of Thibs. He was injured often this past year. He did play extremely well in Summer League. He was mentioned as a candidate for Summer League MVP. I like him. He doesn't screw up much, and, as I said, he has a shot. Can sink the long ball when we need it.

If you get him you will be happy with him.
7710fa52-d00a-4ef9-9d23-d3cca6ea466a_text.gif

IDIOT!!

beats me,
but what about the picks? how many picks they looking at?

I don't think Grimes matters immensely. He's just a pawn for the draft picks. New York would ultimately rather give him than an unprotected pick and the Jazz would rather have the pick. Each side is pretending that "giving up" Grimes is a major concession.

I don't think Grimes matters immensely. He's just a pawn for the draft picks. New York would ultimately rather give him than an unprotected pick and the Jazz would rather have the pick. Each side is pretending that "giving up" Grimes is a major concession.

Grimes would be a "nice to have" based on his favorable contract terms, but should not be a deal breaker for us. Will be severely disappointed if we give up any significant draft capital to get him in the deal.