What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

He's better than a 20 or worse draft pick and that's the rub. You don't know which of the Knicks picks will be 20 +.

Why is Grimes such a sticking point? He had a lackluster rookie year. Is his potential really that high? Of course I didn't follow him closely at all, like at all. But is there really that much upside there? I know the Jazz get all hard over upside, but still...

@MeloTheJazzKiller what are your thoughts on Grimes?
Not discounting the possibilities of using Grimes as a smokescreen, but in the interview everyone's basing this latest round of speculation on Tony Jones did compare him to a Desmond Bane type -- not as good yet, but someone with a good possibility of being a real solid all-around player topping out a bit under all-star potential.

How does Grimes compare to Tony Carr or Vincent Edwards that were drafted in the second round in 2018? It looks to me they are similar. Are Carr or Edwards currently NBA prospects? No. Grimes may not be in a couple of years. I think the Knicks are bluffing saying this guy is so valuable.

Not discounting the possibilities of using Grimes as a smokescreen, but in the interview everyone's basing this latest round of speculation on Tony Jones did compare him to a Desmond Bane type -- not as good yet, but someone with a good possibility of being a real solid all-around player topping out a bit under all-star potential.
IT's actually not that crazy.

Bane is definitely a better shooter though, so that's the big separator. Bane is probably a top 10, maybe even top 5, shooter in the NBA. I dont ever see Grimes being a super efficient shooter like Bane is.

Grimes has more defensive upside though because he's a better overall athlete w/ better length IMO.

But their rookie season's were too dissimilar and Grimes is two years younger. It's not out of the realm of possibility if Grimes has a big leap in him.

I'm pretty confident Grimes will reach a KCP level during his career, possibly higher.

Bane is definitely a better shooter though, so that's the big separator. Bane is probably a top 10, maybe even top 5, shooter in the NBA. I dont ever see Grimes being a super efficient shooter like Bane is.

Grimes has more defensive upside though because he's a better overall athlete w/ better length IMO.

But their rookie season's were too dissimilar and Grimes is two years younger. It's not out of the realm of possibility if Grimes has a big leap in him.

I'm pretty confident Grimes will reach a KCP level during his career, possibly higher.
Not that summer league stats will ever be the determinative marker, but they support your point:

Bane's summer averages league last year (going into 2nd pro year, age 23):
27.6 minutes
21.5 pts
4.25 rebounds
3.75 assists
3.25 turnovers
1 steal
.610 TS%

Grimes's summer averages league this year (going into 2nd pro year, age 22):
30.1 minutes
22.6 pts
4.20 rebounds
4.00 assists
3.20 turnovers
1.2 steals
.552 TS%

I will say when I watch them play, one of the other differences I see is that I think Bane just has a better feel for the game. Grimes is pretty good, but I think that's one of the things Bane excels at.

For those who care: Tony Jones currently mixing it up on Twitter with Knicks media/fans who say that the Jazz will feel compelled to tank this coming season.

He's sticking to the line that the Jazz will only trade Mitchell if they get great value.

Well?? Throw out some tweeters man!!
Glad to see TJ going to the mat against Knicks fans. The Jazz have zero incentive to make a bad deal - either the Knicks come around or Ainge waits until someone comes up with a suitable offer. If it falls through and he gets traded elsewhere, I’m going to start listening to NY sports talk radio again.