What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

I can see Mitchell being happy in Cleveland. I lived there and politics is huge there. There is a ton to do in the community and Ohio is always the center of presidential politics and influence. He can be super politically active and involved. The are many diverse cultures and communities out in Ohio he could connect with, which he has shown he one of the best in the NBA. Mitchell also has shown that the Media will follow him anywhere. He will be under the umbrella of the East Coast media. It could work out well for him.

The Cavs could be motivated like Minnesota was and view Donovan as a final piece and be willing to throw the kitchen sink to get him. Their defense with 3 7 footers would work extremely well with Donovan's game. Donovan could go to another level on the Cavs team.

Last edited:
So I think part of the pivot here is Knicks realizing they have no market for Randle (though some think they can move him to Phoenix and GET a pick) and would have too many mouths to feed.

The other part I think is the Jazz realizing they would have Minny's picks, they will get LA's picks, and stacking all the NY and other picks is still good but would have some diminishing return. If they can get RJ, Fournier or Rose, 23/28 Knicks, Detroit first, Dallas first, and a swap that is still pretty good. I think you could at a minimum get McBride and Reddish to sent to LA but also might be able to get IQ or Toppin (would give the Knicks their choice there). It allows Knicks to go out on the market and offer their 2024/26/30 picks plus whatever protected ones they have for a second star. Jaylen Brown would be the target imo... has been in rumors and will hit unrestricted FA in 2 years. Maybe Boston realizes he ain't staying there and works to retool. If they re-sign Barrett he has to play well to keep his value for that trade. He might be awesome off ball but also might only put up mild counting stats. His role on that team would be better suited for a guy like Grimes.

Meanwhile if Barrett plays better here and grows you have a guy that is increasing his value and someone to fill some seats. The return for the two additional unprotected picks we wanted originally isn't going to be what Barrett could be imo and add in the diminishing returns and I think its an easy case to make.

Say we keep Mike, Fournier, Barrett, Vando.... then you don't have an atrocious team but it won't win 30 games unless RJ is awesome. RJ should have some space and a guy to set him up a bit... and a young coach to grow with.

I'm not the biggest RJ fan. There is a chance he can't make enough shots... but a great gamble imo.

Sexton (assuming a 4/80M deal) + Okoro + Agbaji + Windler for Mitchell works for both sides salary cap wise.

Add in their 25/27/29 unprotected 1sts with a pick swap in 28 or something like that.

That is enough to make the Knicks sweat at the very least.

Sexton (assuming a 4/80M deal) + Okoro + Agbaji + Windler for Mitchell works for both sides salary cap wise.

Add in their 25/27/29 unprotected 1sts with a pick swap in 28 or something like that.

Why not sign Sexton outright without giving up Mitchell? Why would you want Okoro, Achbaji? Windler is on the verge of being out of the league and those other two are pieces you add to a young core, not building blocks.

I can see Mitchell being happy in Cleveland.

Nah. Mitchell wants a big market. There's a reason he's been spending so much time acquainting himself with the fans of NYC and Miami. Imagine he wouldn't hate LAL or GSW either, but big market/east coast is his priority.

Why not sign Sexton outright without giving up Mitchell? Why would you want Okoro, Achbaji? Windler is on the verge of being out of the league and those other two are pieces you add to a young core, not building blocks.

Let’s see for one Sexton is not a RFA or an UFA until next year. Why wouldn’t we want to take a flier on Okoro? Windler is salary filler. Agbaji was just the #14 pick in the draft two months ago.

Very weird questions.

Nah. Mitchell wants a big market. There's a reason he's been spending so much time acquainting himself with the fans of NYC and Miami. Imagine he wouldn't hate LAL or GSW either, but big market/east coast is his priority.

Frankly we shouldn’t care what he wants or where he wants to go. It just so happens that the Knicks have the most to offer otherwise I’d tell them to **** off.

The only thing I want to use the cavs for is to force NY to gut themselves. That’s it.
If the Cavs wanted to put the right package together, then f*** New York. Most Cavs fans are all but drooling at the possibility of a SpidaLand backcourt and they can pull the picks. The just can convey their '23 pick due to an Indy trade, but that will either convey or convert to seconds.

Let’s see for one Sexton is not a RFA or an UFA until next year. Why wouldn’t we want to take a flier on Okoro? Windler is salary filler. Agbaji was just the #14 pick in the draft two months ago.

Very weird questions.
Ochai Agbaji and Okoro arent that good. And will look even worse on a depleted team. Let's see if Cleveland matches an offer.

Barrett sucks *** but you want Toppin? What rock have you been living under?
We've seen enough of Barrett to know that he's a very inefficient chucker. Let's see more of Toppin. Not convinced he's anythingg great, but I'd at least want him included - he would not be considered a centre piece like RJ would.

Speakiing about weird questions - that last one you posted takes the cake.

If the Cleveland package is better than New York's, than we take the Cleveland package unless New York beats it. It's just that simple and there is nothing for them to fall for.
this was a reaction to "The only thing I want to use the cavs for is to force NY to gut themselves. That’s it."

i'd just hope there would be a better offfer than that cavs offer posted earlier. these assets dont do much to jumpstart a rebuild other than clearing up some space on the captable (which is the last thing the jazz should worry about)

Can also swap 2023 with the Minny pick or Philly pick if it doesn't convey to Indiana. In that case its a lotto pick so you get a sliver of upside there.

A cleveland package puts pressure on a couple fronts. Don doesn't want to go there over NY... so he tells NY yall better not get outbid here... its a legit offer so NY isn't bidding against themselves like their fanbase thinks.