What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

I know you are feeling the same way I am about that RJ extension right? I would have loved him at that number.
I like the idea of RJ. I am not nearly as high on him as you. I'd prefer 2 more unprotected picks. I do think he is an asset and a building block at that price but if he doesn't take a step in his development it could go the other way quickly.

I like the idea of RJ. I am not nearly as high on him as you. I'd prefer 2 more unprotected picks. I do think he is an asset and a building block at that price but if he doesn't take a step in his development it could go the other way quickly.

You just wanted him the other day at 5/150M. He just got 4/120M where the 120M isn’t even fully guaranteed. I don’t know if he was ever actually seriously a part of a deal but damn that’s a nice number.

I think it ends up still happening next week with the Lakers. We end up parlaying Reddish and 1 of the protected picks to LA to get both unprotected picks. Or we put in Vando and get them both. My guess is Grimes and Toppin come back (IQ's name has been absent from the talks mostly and its weird). I actually would be super stoked if we let some of the protected picks slide and got IQ, Grimes, and Toppin as I think those three fit well together and would be fun to watch while we wait for a star in the draft.

I think it ends up still happening next week with the Lakers. We end up parlaying Reddish and 1 of the protected picks to LA to get both unprotected picks. Or we put in Vando and get them both. My guess is Grimes and Toppin come back (IQ's name has been absent from the talks mostly and its weird). I actually would be super stoked if we let some of the protected picks slide and got IQ, Grimes, and Toppin as I think those three fit well together and would be fun to watch while we wait for a star in the draft.

If we wanted Barrett plus one of those three then without him we should shoot for all three.

You just wanted him the other day at 5/150M. He just got 4/120M where the 120M isn’t even fully guaranteed. I don’t know if he was ever actually seriously a part of a deal but damn that’s a nice number.
Oh I like the deal... its only 107M guaranteed too. I like RJ... I don't love him. I think he was a decent compromise between 2 UPs and 4 UPs. He needs to take a step... or two. I think its very likely he does as he's young and a worker.

I don't think this is the same dumbass Knicks we are used to... they may get desperate and get there if the season doesn't go as planned. We maybe will have to settle for less than we want. Song I play for my kids all the time....

"you can't always get what you want... but if you try sometime you might find... you get what you need."

We need to move on and get a decent haul for Donovan.

I think it’s odd Woj mentioned we’d have to find a 3rd team to take Fournier to get a deal done including RJ.

Of course he's pissed!! the Knicks chose RJ over him and Ainge wouldn't budge enough to get a deal closed.
I think it says a deal is close. Jazz wanted RJ... from Tony Jones today:

On Monday, the New York Knicks came to terms with small forward RJ Barrett on a hefty contract extension that will make a potential trade for Donovan Mitchell more difficult, largely because the Jazz were pushing for Barrett’s inclusion in the deal. They thought he would fit well into their overall system, and sources say Barrett’s camp was bracing for the Duke product to be on the move.

He also PM'd me on Saturday and let me know Jazz were asking for RJ.... didn't want it on the general board... now its public.

Signing RJ means that the Knicks are either okay with the middle ground that they know works for Ainge or they are cool walking away. We don't want them walking away obvi.

How is Ainge being irrational? Donovan Mitchell is worth more than RJ Barrett, junk matching salary, and two unprotected FRPs.

Trading a 25 year-old multi-time All-Star with three guaranteed years left is unprecedented. We should get an unprecedented haul for that. If Knicks don’t want to pay up and Don decides to be a baby about it, shelf Don this season and see where the chips are at the deadline and next offseason.

There’s no real pressure on the Jazz here. It may actually be better to wait until the season starts, watch the Knicks start to fail, and watch the pressure on Rose mount. We have the thing and they want the thing.

I want a deal to get done too, but I don’t want to cave to these ****ers.
This.

I think it’s odd Woj mentioned we’d have to find a 3rd team to take Fournier to get a deal done including RJ.
Because of the poison pill in RJ's deal now. Throws the matching salaries all out of whack.

I think it says a deal is close. Jazz wanted RJ... from Tony Jones today:

On Monday, the New York Knicks came to terms with small forward RJ Barrett on a hefty contract extension that will make a potential trade for Donovan Mitchell more difficult, largely because the Jazz were pushing for Barrett’s inclusion in the deal. They thought he would fit well into their overall system, and sources say Barrett’s camp was bracing for the Duke product to be on the move.

He also PM'd me on Saturday and let me know Jazz were asking for RJ.... didn't want it on the general board... now its public.

Signing RJ means that the Knicks are either okay with the middle ground that they know works for Ainge or they are cool walking away. We don't want them walking away obvi.
You think a deal is close? How so? Are you thinking a three team deal?

You think a deal is close? How so? Are you thinking a three team deal?
Oh ****... sorry. I think I meant to say was close... not is close. Like the deal was close to being done and now that iteration fell through so Don is not happy.

I got the sense from Tony’s article that the Jazz may pivot to trading the rest of the vets right now.
Next week we will execute a trade with or without the Knicks. I think we have two offers with the Lakers right now. One that gets us both picks and one that gets us one of the picks. The one with both picks will involve the Knicks.

This is all me guessing btw... the next big psuedo deadline is the start of camp and teams will want some idea of what they are working with. Indiana has been hesitant to do the Lakers trade unless they get both picks. Lakers don't want to give up both picks. We can offer something in the middle or sweeten it with some Knicks stuff to get both.

Jovan Buha - The Athletic Lakers guy was on Hoopshype pod and said the Jazz are the most likely trade candidate and kind of intimated that there is a deal we could do with Bogey where it was just one pick.

Also, I got sucked into the Monty world LOL and he has been insisting the Jazz didn't want RJ. He has been wrong!!