What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

Yeah, the whole RJ/Deadline thing was just a way to make it look like they are the ones in the driver seat. Don't think it's super impactful either way, but I do believe that both sides don't want to budge.
I'm going to say there is like a 1% chance Danny and Leon colluded here against RJ to get the extension done using a Utah trade as leverage... and now we end up getting him and not worrying about the extension.

View: https://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman/status/1564703714782466049

Say's Ainge is insistent on getting unprotected 4 first round picks and Rose has yet to offer more than 2. The Lakers could get involved as a third team and would have interest in Cam Redish. Grimes, Toppin and Fornier are the most likely players to be involved in a deal.

I don't know why the two sides don't just meet in the middle and agree on 3 unprotected firsts and just get this done. This **** is exhausting.

The Knicks are delusional. They have NOTHING a third team like the Lakers would want. The Jazz have better pieces that a contender would want than the Knicks. If there is a team willing to give up 2 unprotected picks in order to facilitate a Donovan Mitchell trade to the Knicks, then they should be much more willing to give them for the Jazz pieces than the Knicks albatrosses - Randle, Fournier... Why would the Jazz just gift that value to the Knicks? This makes zero sense. A team like Miami is much more likely to be able to offer something a contender that the Jazz wouldn't want right now, but would be able to fetch some picks - i.e. something like Tyler Herro.

So the Wiz deal is three unprotected (conditional if the first conveys) and 2 to 3 complicated but designed to be high value swaps for the Jazz. I would do that deal in a heartbeat. We are going to have low value first rounders, but with those swaps they turn into high value picks. Moving up the draft from a low value position to a high value spot usually costs 2 to 3 picks anyway. Do it!

Here's why Ainge has any advantage: he doesn't give a **** about what Donovan wants.

If the Knicks have the best deal, he's a Knick. If it's the Wiz, he's going to the nation's capitol.

You can bet dollars to donuts that Donovan is pressuring the **** out of CAA to get him to NY and that they'll be in Rose's ears daily. I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see them come up to three unprotected and to stop trying to dump Randle on us and other bad debt.

The Knicks are delusional. They have NOTHING a third team like the Lakers would want. The Jazz have better pieces that a contender would want than the Knicks. If there is a team willing to give up 2 unprotected picks in order to facilitate a Donovan Mitchell trade to the Knicks, then they should be much more willing to give them for the Jazz pieces than the Knicks albatrosses - Randle, Fournier... Why would the Jazz just gift that value to the Knicks? This makes zero sense. A team like Miami is much more likely to be able to offer something a contender that the Jazz wouldn't want right now, but would be able to fetch some picks - i.e. something like Tyler Herro.
I think its clear neither Rose or Ainge want to say 3 unprotected picks first. That becomes the baseline of the negotiations. I think Rose was offering something that Ainge could build a counter offer around.

Shams is reporting the Jazz side. Woj is reporting the Knicks/Don/CAA side.
I'm not sure its that simple. Woj is pretty connected with JZ too. He plays both sides of the fence I think. Shams and Woj are both consistent with what has been offered and that RJ could still be in the deal.

I think its clear neither Rose or Ainge want to say 3 unprotected picks first. That becomes the baseline of the negotiations. I think Rose was offering something that Ainge could build a counter offer around.
I get how that can happen, but they gotta have some back-channel negotiators get drunk and locked in a room together to breakthrough the stalemate. I just refuse to believe that neither side will go to 3 when it's all said and done.

No idea if this site factors in the poison pill provision, but if this is doable, then this is my guess as to how this ultimately shakes out, based on everything that's been reported and everything's that happened so far. Maybe a super swap or something is thrown in as well.
Trade Machine 4.jpg

View: https://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman/status/1564703714782466049

Says Ainge is insistent on getting 4 unprotected first round picks and Rose has yet to offer more than 2. The Lakers could get involved as a third team and would have interest in Cam Redish. Grimes, Toppin and Fornier are the most likely players to be involved in a deal.

I don't know why the two sides don't just meet in the middle and agree on 3 unprotected firsts and just get this done. This **** is exhausting.

I understand as a fan wanting to get this done and over. But patience is huge part of big balls negotiating. It's almost like none of you watched The Karate Kid.

No idea if this site factors in the poison pill provision, but if this is doable, then this is my guess as to how this ultimately shakes out, based on everything that's been reported and everything's that happened so far. Maybe a super swap or something is thrown in as well.
View attachment 12984
The Lakers seem to be killing it in this trade. Dump the most toxic contract in the NBA and replace it with RJ, Bogey, and Cam? I mean, I know they are giving up 2 future unprotected picks, but if I remember correctly, we gave that and more up for Conley alone and we were not allowed to dump a toxic contract during that transaction.

A couple of deals that work under the PPP:

Mitchell + NAW for Barrett/Rose/Sims/McBride

Mitchell + Gay for Barrett/Fournier/McBride

Mitchell + Gay for Barrett/Rose/Toppin

Mitchell + Gay for Barrett/Rose/Reddish

I’m sure there are a few more combinations but these are certainly workable.

Bumping this because it’s relevant.