What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

What could possibly lead him to believe that they have the leverage? lol
They want something we have, something that other people also want. The second they offer less than MIA or someone else can offer and won't budge they lose. They have none of the leverage. All they have is the biggest possible offer. That's their leverage, how much they can give us. That doesn't give them leverage to give us less.

Honestly I wouldn't give 8 firsts for Donovan Mitchell. Not even sure I give that for KD.
I know I wouldn't give them for KD. Giannis, Luka, Curry ?, that is about it off the top of my head. Curry is questionable because of his age. 8 picks for anyone player is crazy unless you are talking MJ or Bird or Magic in their prime. Basketball is a team sport so putting that much emphasis on one player is foolish. DM will sell tickets and merchandise in NY but if he fails to deliver, they will eat him alive.

It's heading that way it seems
Jazz have to trade him now
He can't stay in Utah
Ainge may be losing some leverage
No. That's not how it works. If we can get more for him from someone else then we take the other offer. NYK can't force us to accept their offer if it's less than we can get elsewhere.

He can't stay in Utah
Eff that. If it goes to ****, I wait until an unexpected suitor jumps into the game and then trade him there - NY, Miami and Brooklyn can all listen to their fans call for their heads since they were close but didn’t close the deal.

Ainge is such a good negotiator because he knows what he wants, he knows what he will accept, and he finds people who are desperate to make a deal. He understands leverage and is able to tap into people's selfish desires. He understood Brooklyn was under new ownership and wanted to make a splash with known stars, so Danny gave him Pierce, Garnett etc and sold them to the Nets using their reputations and achievements to convince helpless GM to cough up all those seemingly unimportant draft picks at the time. Everyone knows the story. The last thing Danny does well is he isn't afraid to trade anyone, players are assets to sell to the highest bidder, no sentimentality involved. Just business, I wish the Jazz had gotten him years ago. I know he would have drafted Giannis. hahahahaha

He can't stay in Utah
That makes no sense- Ainge isn't gonna get fired if he doesn't make this deal. Ryan isn't dead set on trading Don away like NY's owner has been coveting him. There is no leverage to be had from NY- Don and his folks are gonna get antsy and fans and NY media will apply pressure. I'm not worried because its the Knicks- they will probably somehow figure out a way to give us even more stuff. With that bobblehead **** NY pulling now, I think the price just went up.

Ainge can pull Mitchell off the market if he wants to. He can shut down trade talks until training camp if he wants to.
We can start the season with a pouty disinterested Donovan, too. We're tanking. We don't need to care if he wants to be here.

If he demands a trade we say okay sure, go tell whatever team you want to be on what our price for you is and convince them to give it to us, otherwise, nah.

Danny is not losing leverage the longer this takes to get done. Right now, the Knicks are just testing Ainge to see if they can salvage a pick or a player so they optics look better on their end. It’s not gonna work and they’re playing with fire.

If Miami loses out on KD, there’s a Zero % chance they stand pat- especially with the moves Boston has made so far. Riley will definitely jump in on Donovan and if the the Knicks miss out on an absolute layup of a trade in which they acquire their prodigal son, it’s gonna be a scorched earth situation in NY.

At this point, the Knicks can either be mocked for giving up a record haul for Donovan, or be crucified for somehow botching a trade when he was there for the taking. There’s no door #3 for NY.

I have been listening to knickfan TV podcast with callers. Knicks fan is going to burn down the Garden if this falls through. Also they want to keep Quickly the most. Me, I'm done with undersized guards. . .
Ainge should update his Tinder profile to say "No one under 6'3""

Both Toppin and Reddish were more hyped than Grimes but have underperformed since they have been in the league. Toppin showed a little at the end of the year so there is potential. Reddish was drafted as a 3 &D wing but his offense has been lagging. Grimes performed well at the end of the season last year, seems to be a fan favorite. He has size for his position and plays both ways. I will be shocked if the Jazz get him because if they have Brunson and DM the Knicks are going to need some size in the backcourt. I heard his contract is great for his production. Like I said earlier, I would give up one of the draft picks to get him. I think he has a chance to be very good.
I want Toppin even more than Reddish and Grimes because he's an athletic freak who should be nicknamed 'The Dunkster'.