What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

My prediction is we end up with Quickly, Toppin, Fournier, Rose, Reddish for Donovan and Bogey. We end up with Knicks picks in 23/25/27/29 unprotected and a swap in 2028... we also get the Detroit and Washington picks they own and two second rounders for @infection .

I think both teams want Grimes... He is a much better fit with Don and Brunson than Quickley... I think just like RJ we use that against them.

My prediction is we end up with Quickly, Toppin, Fournier, Rose, Reddish for Donovan and Bogey. We end up with Knicks picks in 23/25/27/29 unprotected and a swap in 2028... we also get the Detroit and Washington picks they own and two second rounders for @infection .

I think both teams want Grimes... He is a much better fit with Don and Brunson than Quickley... I think just like RJ we use that against them.
Get all the seconds. Just tell NY you can always buy them on draft night.

Can you imagine how annoying Danny is in negotiations... I'll bet he hits NY up for an extra second while they are on hold with the league to put the trade call in.

Construction contractor that I know gets in on large bids and a few of the generals he works with will call him 15 minutes before a bid is due and asks them to cut price or they will lose the bid... I imagine Danny is that guy.

For real I would like a lot of 2nd rounders at some point. They’re great sweeteners and there will be situations where we can maybe move a transaction with a 2nd but won’t have any to trade and then are faced with more unsavory options.

I wonder ... after we have MIN's picks in odd years, could we diversify and get NYK's picks in the even years+ swaps in the rest?

I wonder ... after we have MIN's picks in odd years, could we diversify and get NYK's picks in the even years+ swaps in the rest?
You take one less pick that way though, but might improve the value of the other picks. Maybe if you are getting the other picks they own it might be a consideration.

I think it will be a similar deal, but we don't include Bogey/Rose and there's one less pick as a result of that. Perhaps Gay is included elsewhere. I think we end up getting a pick for Bogey elsewhere.

FWIW, this is the trade Bobby Marks proposed from the Knicks:

IN:
Evan Fournier
Cam Reddish
Obi Toppin
Miles McBride
Knicks' 2023, 2025 and 2027 first-round picks
Mavericks' 2023 pick (top-10 protected)
Wizards' 2023 pick (top-14 protected)

OUT:
Mitchell
Gay

So a much more mild return. Andy's comment on the package:

They want more picks (‘29?), pick swaps, and/or Grimes
they’re not going to do the deal without any of Grimes or swaps or the 29 pick I don’t think

So no Quickley included from any source right now. Kind of disappointing. With Mitchell+Brunson+Rose you would think NYK would be more ok with trading Quickley, especially compared to Grimes who is a bigger guard. I think Quickley is the most underrated Knicks asset and probably somewhat gettable due to their host of small guards.

I’m gonna need some quotes from yesterday compared to today. Sounds like it could be one of his most shining moments.
He was like "yeah they are answering the phones you dumbass drama queens, but they are still planning on building around him and if it doesn't work you wait for a team to get more desperate."

Today he all "he gone".

You take one less pick that way though, but might improve the value of the other picks. Maybe if you are getting the other picks they own it might be a consideration.
Maybe you get some of the other picks or add more swaps(like all swaps?)

I would rather have this scenario. Additionally, if I get to choose between the two 1sts from Detroit and Dallas or two more swaps in the off years then I take the swaps without hesitation. I want to own their draft. That’s maybe what made the KG/Pierce trade so fruitful; the Nets couldn’t reload and improve which kept the value of all the picks high.

I think it will be a similar deal, but we don't include Bogey/Rose and there's one less pick as a result of that. Perhaps Gay is included elsewhere. I think we end up getting a pick for Bogey elsewhere.

IN:
Evan Fournier
Cam Reddish
Obi Toppin
Miles McBride

OUT:
Mitchell
Gay

they’re not going to do the deal without any of Grimes or swaps or the 29 pick I don’t think

So no Quickley included from any source right now. Kind of disappointing. With Mitchell+Brunson+Rose you would think NYK would be more ok with trading Quickley, especially compared to Grimes who is a bigger guard. I think Quickley is the most underrated Knicks asset and probably somewhat gettable due to their host of small guards.
I think maybe Quickley and Donovan are homies so its a no fly zone, but yeah IQ gonna be completely marginalized.

Maybe you get some of the other picks or add more swaps(like all swaps?)
Yeah and I would like to work in some exotic swaps (yeah yesterday I coined naked picks and now I'm talking exotic swaps... its gonna be a long couple years and a lot of draft talk) the exotic swap would be we can swap the NY pick in 23/25/27/29 with any picks we own currently or might acquire in the future. Right now it could be our pick or Minny's later it could be Lakers or others we acquire.

You sell it as doing them a solid by taking one less pick.

I think maybe Quickley and Donovan are homies so its a no fly zone, but yeah IQ gonna be completely marginalized.

In that case a Rose move makes sense....but Rose is also Thib's guy. So who knows, they're going to have a log jam either way.

I wonder how the Quickley vs Grimes equation is seen on both ends.

IN:
Evan Fournier
Cam Reddish
Obi Toppin
Miles McBride

OUT:
Mitchell
Gay

Need one more unprotected pic. LOVE the 2023 picks.

In that case a Rose move makes sense....but Rose is also Thib's guy. So who knows, they're going to have a log jam either way.

I wonder how the Quickley vs Grimes equation is seen on both ends.
I'll take either tbh. They should really be trying to keep Grimes over Quickley... they may try and keep both and keep throwing in picks. I think we get Toppin for sure and a **** ton of picks and likely Fournier. The other pieces I am less confident on.

Also, Thibs won't be the coach there in 12 months. With Brunson/Don/Randle/Barrett... I see a lot of guys that want the ball... I see a lot of dudes who might help teammates a little but not a lot... I see 3 dudes that don't play great defense (though you know Don will play much harder for them). Robinson is cute but he's a cat chasing a laser pointer and has been super injury prone. I think their floor is like a 35-40 win team if healthy.

IF they decide to bend to what Donovan wants immediately by not trading Quickley I will laugh a bit.

I'll take either tbh. They should really be trying to keep Grimes over Quickley... they may try and keep both and keep throwing in picks. I think we get Toppin for sure and a **** ton of picks and likely Fournier. The other pieces I am less confident on.

Also, Thibs won't be the coach there in 12 months. With Brunson/Don/Randle/Barrett... I see a lot of guys that want the ball... I see a lot of dudes who might help teammates a little but not a lot... I see 3 dudes that don't play great defense (though you know Don will play much harder for them). Robinson is cute but he's a cat chasing a laser pointer and has been super injury prone. I think their floor is like a 35-40 win team if healthy.

IF they decide to bend to what Donovan wants immediately by not trading Quickley I will laugh a bit.
Best thing is that if we take all their assets they are stuck with Randle