What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

Oh, but it is. Jake Fischer, Tony Jones and others have reported that the Jazz don't want RJ.
I saw somewhere that they would have interest in RJ. I think it makes more sense for both teams it there is more draft compensation and less player compensation. I think it is more like the Knicks are less inclined to trade RJ than the Jazz not wanting him. I think the Jazz would prefer to have say two unprotected picks if that is what the cost of getting RJ is.

It's been reported multiple times that the Jazz don't want RJ. They don't want to have to pay him when he's due for an extension.

While we don't have to trade Mitchell this year, it would absolutely be in our best interest to do so. The closer we get to his contract being up the less we will get in return for him. Even waiting until next offseason would likely cost us some assets. Not to mention keeping him would ruin our tank this season and leave us with a worse pick in next years draft.
I think there should be some suitors that would give less for Don next year than this year. Orlando for instance could get him and if it isn't looking like a great trio move him in a year or two and recoup like 50-75% of the cost. For NY I am not sure the price would change much.

I think we should trade him so long as the offers are like 80-90% of what we feel we want to get. Ideally you get 125% of value, but the tank needs to start this year... it just does. We will get a **** ton of value by moving the other pieces too and supposedly if we keep Don this year we won't sell off those pieces. I think Toronto, Miami, Charlotte can all put together good enough packages. If NY doesn't beat those packages then fine... this whole "they have the best potential package so they have the leverage" is just tiresome. If they aren't willing to give up 3-4 unprotected picks with a couple unprotected swaps then the other packages are just as good imo. Put yo money in the middle or STFU Knicks.

The priority in all our deals should be on high value picks. We can get late firsts and lotto protected firsts by renting out cap space and selling off some parts. Go get the Knicks, Hornets, Raps, or Heat unprotected picks... then sell off the parts needed to nab the Lakers picks. Whatever parts are left can nab you some seconds or firsts during the year by taking on some bad money. We need the Don and Don adjacent trades to net PREMIUM picks... if we get a few fliers on young players then great, but the picks are the priority for now.

The priority in all our deals should be on high value picks. We can get late firsts and lotto protected firsts by renting out cap space and selling off some parts. Go get the Knicks, Hornets, Raps, or Heat unprotected picks... then sell off the parts needed to nab the Lakers picks. Whatever parts are left can nab you some seconds or firsts during the year by taking on some bad money. We need the Don and Don adjacent trades to net PREMIUM picks... if we get a few fliers on young players then great, but the picks are the priority for now.
The picks are the priority and the priority is the picks.

It's been reported multiple times that the Jazz don't want RJ. They don't want to have to pay him when he's due for an extension.

While we don't have to trade Mitchell this year, it would absolutely be in our best interest to do so. The closer we get to his contract being up the less we will get in return for him. Even waiting until next offseason would likely cost us some assets. Not to mention keeping him would ruin our tank this season and leave us with a worse pick in next years draft.
Still good to ask for him and then negotiate him out of the deal. Plus, they could always NOT do an extension with him now and trade him in season. Let him get to RFA and then get his rookie max contract.

I saw somewhere that they would have interest in RJ. I think it makes more sense for both teams it there is more draft compensation and less player compensation. I think it is more like the Knicks are less inclined to trade RJ than the Jazz not wanting him. I think the Jazz would prefer to have say two unprotected picks if that is what the cost of getting RJ is.

Barrett > any two of 23/25/27 unprotected 1sts

23/25 maybe - 27 I don’t know. I’d ask for Barrett with the deal like SGA in the Clips/Thunder deal. He’s a young guy on the cusp of taking a step - not sure if he gets there. . . but the potential is there imo.

Still think the Jazz end up with a boatload of picks, Grimes, Reddish, Toppin and Fournier when it’s all said and done. They’ll keep Barrett and Randle out of it, but I’m hoping the Jazz are able to add Rudy Gay and just go super young this year.

I continue to be amazed at the infatuation with picks that have significant unknowns and in part of based on luck so I agree in principle but I am not sure whether I agree on Barrett. I listened to Locke's version of the analytics on Barrett and some seem amazing and some make him sound like fools gold. Convince me.

They don't.
Cost. He will be expensive and when you have Brunson and Donovan he doesn't feel like a max player on a contender to me.

Also, for all yall who think Donovan value will go way down... thats just not typically the case. Just look at players who have demanded trades in the past.. like Paul George. The hauls come, albeit, perhaps later than teams and fans would hope.

Trust in the haul.

Cost. He will be expensive and when you have Brunson and Donovan he doesn't feel like a max player on a contender to me.

Also, for all yall who think Donovan value will go way down... thats just not typically the case. Just look at players who have demanded trades in the past.. like Paul George. The hauls come, albeit, perhaps later than teams and fans would hope.

Trust in the haul.

Show me an article or report that says the Knicks want to dump Barrett.

Last edited:
We should entertain strict empiricist philosophy. Barrett has demonstrated, without recourse to inflationary metaphysics, ability to perform analogously to a 3rd option on a championship team. If we acquire a gentleman with such propensities, and if he obtains us at least two unprotected Knicks first round draft picks as auxiliary, (3-4 ideally), then with haste we advance.