What's new

Jazz and Mitchell to finalize max contract extension when free agency opens

Name one supermax deal that has worked out? there are a few bullets that have been dodged here. Unless it is a surefire top 5 guy in his prime the supermax will hamstring a franchise.
This. The supermax was obviously added in to appease the top echelon of players in the league. It doesn't help the team, like a franchise tag would, and it actually hurts other players by tying up money that could be spread around more equitably. So one guy gets 1/3 or whatever of the cap, while the rest get reduced pay and the team itself can't bring in the free agents it needs to compete, unless you are one of the top 4-6 teams where the players want to play. We need a new CBA after all this for sure.

This. The supermax was obviously added in to appease the top echelon of players in the league. It doesn't help the team, like a franchise tag would, and it actually hurts other players by tying up money that could be spread around more equitably. So one guy gets 1/3 or whatever of the cap, while the rest get reduced pay and the team itself can't bring in the free agents it needs to compete, unless you are one of the top 4-6 teams where the players want to play. We need a new CBA after all this for sure.
I believe the CBA will be a new CBA the year Donovan is an UFA. Hopefully they fix some things in regards to the supermax by then and keep the incentive for players to stay with their team. The super max anywhere above the max should not impact a teams salary cap/tax issues.

hadn't heard that there was talks of restructuring the super max nor had I put much thought into it. Off the top of my head, they could so something like "superbird rights" where signing the player YOU DRAFTED only the max is counted against your cap the extra % of the super max does not count against the Salary Cap or at the very least against the Luxury Tax. However once a player is traded the entire super max deal would count against the salary cap for the new team, you could keep the Bird Rights the same as they are.

It did serve a purpose in that some teams moved guys prior to signing these type of deals so those teams didn't lose players for nothing. I think long-term the NBA needs some sort of franchise tag. Restricted FA is good but some other measures that make it a little harder to have super teams form would be nice. I don't think the NBA dislikes the super teams but I think the other non-glamour markets don't want to be the farm system.

hadn't heard that there was talks of restructuring the super max nor had I put much thought into it. Off the top of my head, they could so something like "superbird rights" where signing the player YOU DRAFTED only the max is counted against your cap the extra % of the super max does not count against the Salary Cap or at the very least against the Luxury Tax. However once a player is traded the entire super max deal would count against the salary cap for the new team, you could keep the Bird Rights the same as they are.
There hasn’t been yet, but this CBA will expire after the 2023-24 season, hopefully the next CBA will change or fine tune things a bit. It may be especially important to us as Donovan will hit UFA in 2026(Provides he isn’t traded of course). They can mutually opt out after the 2022-23 season but if Covid can be brought under control and the financial ramifications can be smoothed over I would expect them to play this CBA our until the end of the 2023-24 season. I very much hope the next CBA will find ways to protect cap room/tax on super-maxes.

Interesting note, with this year's playoffs Donovan set a Jazz record for highest PPG for a Jazz player in the playoffs, at 36. Next closest was Dantley at 32, and Malone at 30 PPG. This also puts Donovan at 11th on the all-time list, led of course by MJ at 43 ppg.