What's new

Jazz ban 2nd fan for calling Westbrook "boy"

Considering what an unprecedented disaster his presidency has been, and considering what a monster he is as a person, I’m not sure what there is to support that doesn’t mark a supporter as immediately morally or intellectually suspect.

Build that wall! Build that wall!

Not a racist btw. Just a person who loves America. Why can't you libtards understand!

I love how you are doing your best to paint me as something because of guilt you are trying to put on me. You sound like a media outlet desperately searching to label somebody.

You are reacting very defensively. You made a comment on that you thought you were doing all that was doable, and I offered a suggestion for something more, if you were interested. If not, then not. I have not labeled you, nor put any moral impetus on you. You did that to yourself.

Just treat everybody with the same amount of respect. If there is a chance to actively help somebody, definitely do it.

Which is it? Just treat them with respect, or in addition to treating them with respect, occasionally actively help?

The world is going to respond more from one person's bad actions than a number of people's good actions.

Of course. Why does this matter?

I'm going to do this and watch it blow up (Come at me, bros!)

But here is an undeniable truth of life:
Saying a racist epitaph DOES NOT MAKE YOU A RACIST!

But, you can't handle the truth. Sit on that and rotate.

And by the way, Donald Trump is the best president of my lifetime, and I loved Ronald Reagan. And he is absolutely going to be re-elected.
It's the economy, stupid!

And by the way, Donald Trump is the best president of my lifetime, and I loved Ronald Reagan. And he is absolutely going to be re-elected.

It's racism and you're obviously a racist.

You are correct. Saying a racist epitaph makes you a bigot, rude, and small, but it does not make you a racist. It's the diminishing of other people based on skin color, the assumption that people with certain skin colors are better at certain jobs, the notion that people with darker skin lack power because they lack the will to get power that makes you racist.

However, the two often seem to go together. Perhaps that is purely a coincedance?

I'm fine with truth. I like bringing lost and lots of it.

I have bad news for you. Ronald Reagan already served the maximal two terms, and he is dead. So, Reagan will not re-elected. Sorry.

You mean, the economy that's been slowing down since late 2017?

Yes, and he could have ended that with positive action and remorse, instead of getting defensive.
He absolutely could have. He screwed up at that point. But you are straw-manning this OB. My point was that any misdeed will be used to tear one apart, and this was a great example as the backlash was immediate and final. I think his reaction was more a poor attempt at damage control than justification. In the current social climate there has been little evidence of anything that works too placate the mob. It sounded to me like he was scrambling trying to find a way to get out from under the lens (and from what I read and was reported on NPR there was doubt that it was actually him in the original picture, even though it still sounded like an excuse, but even then he did admit to using black face anyway, just not in the picture. How is that a dodge?).

So taking the straw man at face value, can you give me any examples of anyone who was let "off the hook" though sincere apology? I have seen a handful apologize and it does no good. The mob wants blood.

Really? This happens all the time. Kevin Hart comes to mind recently? It's becoming a thing to dig up someones old tweets and destroy their life.
Kevin Harts life still seems pretty good. But I guess his live is ruined? I missed that.

Yeah the governor of Virginia, who was seen as a champion of equal rights, now is being called on to resign when it came out he had used black face in the 80s.
He is still in office and seems to be doing pretty well for himself.

He is still in office and seems to be doing pretty well for himself.
Sure if you consider loss of your reputation, friends, and harassment and death threats to him and his family doing "just fine" (this has been reported). You seem perfectly happy with the mob mentality, so I guess to you it's no big deal. To each his own I guess. I personally think that who a person is and what they have done to become that person matters more than 30 year old lapses in judgement, especially when the life they have lived since shows them to have learned and grown as human beings. But if you're fine with vilification at all costs, well I guess you fit right in with the mob.

He absolutely could have. He screwed up at that point. But you are straw-manning this OB. My point was that any misdeed will be used to tear one apart, and this was a great example as the backlash was immediate and final. I think his reaction was more a poor attempt at damage control than justification. In the current social climate there has been little evidence of anything that works too placate the mob. It sounded to me like he was scrambling trying to find a way to get out from under the lens (and from what I read and was reported on NPR there was doubt that it was actually him in the original picture, even though it still sounded like an excuse, but even then he did admit to using black face anyway, just not in the picture. How is that a dodge?).

So taking the straw man at face value, can you give me any examples of anyone who was let "off the hook" though sincere apology? I have seen a handful apologize and it does no good. The mob wants blood.
James Gunn.

Wtf? This incident did not occur in Spain. How is this even an argument?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I’m not arguing. Expecting a Spaniard to know the ins and outs of American racial history and tension makes about as much sense as expecting an American to know the intricacies of Spain’s racial history.
He’s stated he’s here trying to learn and understand better. You being a bitch to him doesn’t help.

James Gunn.
Resurrection. First he was crucified. In this case Disney did the right thing. But damage to reputation and psychological trauma are not nothing.

Sure if you consider loss of your reputation, friends, and harassment and death threats to him and his family doing "just fine" (this has been reported). You seem perfectly happy with the mob mentality, so I guess to you it's no big deal. To each his own I guess. I personally think that who a person is and what they have done to become that person matters more than 30 year old lapses in judgement, especially when the life they have lived since shows them to have learned and grown as human beings. But if you're fine with vilification at all costs, well I guess you fit right in with the mob.

Obviously death threats are awful and unfortunate but I really think you are overstating the impact this has had on his life. He's still getting work, he's got more money in the bank than any of us will ever see. If his reputation has taken a hit, well maybe that's not so bad all things considered.

Edit-I misread this as being about Kevin Hart.

The Governor of Virginia really ought to have resigned. I wouldn't have much confidence in him if I was a resident of that state.

Last edited:
Resurrection. First he was crucified. In this case Disney did the right thing. But damage to reputation and psychological trauma are not nothing.
No they aren't nothing, but you seem to be arguing that there shouldn't be any consequences for past bad behavior. I agree that sometimes it goes too far, but there are so many injustices in this world I'm not going to waste too many tears on rich Hollywood elites not getting everything single ****ing thing they think they are entitled to.

How can you know they have grown? How can you know there's been an actual, earnest change and not just a self-serving, opportunistic switch? I know you will again point out to the life they've lived and all that, but when the stakes are this high, you have to be a little suspicious of Road to Damascus changes in views when they just happen to coincide with major shifts in society and politics. In other words, when people conveniently see the light when it means getting votes.

Look at the gay rights in the US. Not that long ago, laws were being passed specifically banning gay marriage and politicians were casually spouting homophobic stuff to justify it. Now, gay marriage is legal and allies seem to be everywhere. The problem is that this shift of views had little to do with a shift in people. The same politicians who fought gay marriage are now supporting it. Obama, Hillary, that Hawaiian congresswoman running for president. Coincidentally, all switched when it would have appeared to be politically expedient. Funny how that works. How come you don't see politicians who supported gay marriage 20 years ago but have now come to oppose it?

NBA players used to spout gay slurs on and off the courts, but suddenly they aren't. It's the same damn players, too. I'd love to believe they've all grown as people, but it's hard not to think about this through the prism of endorsements and business opportunism. I really want to believe that Tim Hardaway Sr. has undergone some amazing change and become an ally of the LGBTQ community, but the fact that it all happened after his gravy train of paid-after-dinner-speaker-because-I'm-a-former-NBA-star was derailed troubles me just enough to be wary.

I do think people can change, but I also recognize that there is plenty to be gained from pretending to change. And I am not black, but I can see how it would be deeply troubling when past blackface pictures of elected officials surface. Especially when those elected officials seem fairly flippant about it and seem more concerned about the damage to their reputation than the damage to the trust of their constituents. When pictures of you in KKK regalia come up, you can never be the victim in the situation. Trying to portray yourself as one is just additionally offensive.

When pictures of you in KKK regalia come up, you can never be the victim in the situation. Trying to portray yourself as one is just additionally offensive.

This goes to the heart of the issue I think, good post.

Not sure why you are lumping me in with what a few outliers have done. I havent said anything about him so I am unsure why you are trying to pretend to know what I think about him and then lump me in with what you are guessing is a whole mob of people. Are you sure that is what lots of people think and I think? Or are you projecting opinions based on very little information?

I agree that who a person is and what they have done to become that person matters more than 1 things 30 years ago. I think most people agree with that and form their opinions based on that. We are both in that same "mob mentality". A slight loss of reputation sucks. Losing friends sucks but if they are not good friends than, meh. I dont choose to be friends with people based on them making the right choices. Death threats suck as well. Yep, there are lots of ****** people who send them. Every politician gets them and its unfortunate but again he is doing pretty well. He addressed it directly and is still in office and it was a minor hiccup he had to deal with. Your actions have consequences and he did what he could to fix things.

You should probably stop living in fear of some old bad action coming back to haunt you and unfairly ruin your life.