What's new

Jazz ban 2nd fan for calling Westbrook "boy"

So? I never claimed it was malicious. It was arrogant, unthinking, ill-considered, and presumptuous, but I would not call it malicious.

This is also arrogant, unthinking, ill-considered, and presumptuous. I still would not call it malicious.
Okay Time out. None of these people are black. Typically the word black refers to sub-Saharan Africans in modern usage. And not North Africans, who have different phenotypes. Please stop copying and pasting without understanding.

More importantly, everyone is mixed with everyone else. Of course the people of Carthage have sub-Saharan blood in them. Mainland Africa --> Ethiopia --> Yemen --> Arabia --> Levant. Give me the rest of your lineage, and I'll find you some link to any major group of people on Earth. Then there's the history of slavery in the US.

More more importantly, do you understand how genetic profiles work? They gather samples from all over the globe, and see how your sample compare to them statistically. There is no gene that defines any race group. And no scientific definition for what a race even is.

So those genes that caused a statistical hit in your case could've been from anywhere, or nowhere. Your speculation about Sicily is not very substantive.

Whatever the case, this is way off the topic. You are right we all are a mixture, which is why this obsession with race in America is so ignorant. I remember reading a book many years ago, "Man's Greatest Myth Race," Ashley Montagu, who showed through great detail that while there were differences among races, they did not add up to superiority of one over the other. That also is why this eruption over a stupid, silly comment I made that had no racist intent just shows how ignorant this whole thing is, and how insecure people are about who they are. Yet because people harbor animosity towards me over other things, they jump on me like vultures. This is something that I complained about a long time ago, the hostility that developed on here and still reigns. I agree the comment was in bad taste, but that doesn't mean I'm racist or an evil person, or hate black people. Actually, it's quite the reverse. I didn't call Westbrook boy or use the N-word. I actually was being sarcastic about the Negs, which people want to resume because of the hostility that is inside them, the hostility that is actually so rampant in our country with this obsession with guns and our history of militarism and genocide and slavery. And it works both ways. Hate begets hate. When people stop hating on each other, then the racism will end, and the wars, and the subjugation of people. I need a vacation from this site because of the poisonous people, not all, but some, who are on here.

Whatever the case, this is way off the topic. You are right we all are a mixture, which is why this obsession with race in America is so ignorant. I remember reading a book many years ago, "Man's Greatest Myth Race," Ashley Montagu, who showed through great detail that while there were differences among races, they did not add up to superiority of one over the other. That also is why this eruption over a stupid, silly comment I made that had no racist intent just shows how ignorant this whole thing is, and how insecure people are about who they are. Yet because people harbor animosity towards me over other things, they jump on me like vultures. This is something that I complained about a long time ago, the hostility that developed on here and still reigns. I agree the comment was in bad taste, but that doesn't mean I'm racist or an evil person, or hate black people. Actually, it's quite the reverse. I didn't call Westbrook boy or use the N-word. I actually was being sarcastic about the Negs, which people want to resume because of the hostility that is inside them, the hostility that is actually so rampant in our country with this obsession with guns and our history of militarism and genocide and slavery. And it works both ways. Hate begets hate. When people stop hating on each other, then the racism will end, and the wars, and the subjugation of people. I need a vacation from this site because of the poisonous people, not all, but some, who are on here.
I think you missed the part where it is virtually impossible to definitively define what "race" means within the greater human race. "Black" is not a race, nor is "white," those are concepts that for one have changed significantly over time, but also have no actual genetic definition. So when you cite Ashley Montagu and say that there are differences among races, you are not saying anything more significant than there are differences between individuals, as you cannot neatly assign people into a certain race.

I think you missed the part where it is virtually impossible to definitively define what "race" means within the greater human race. "Black" is not a race, nor is "white," those are concepts that for one have changed significantly over time, but also have no actual genetic definition. So when you cite Ashley Montagu and say that there are differences among races, you are not saying anything more significant than there are differences between individuals, as you cannot neatly assign people into a certain race.
True, the whole thing for me is that I don't judge people for their race but who they are as individuals. We all have our talents. Sure I shouldn't have made that comment, but it's not right for some people here to jump on me so viciously for having misspoken.

True, the whole thing for me is that I don't judge people for their race but who they are as individuals. We all have our talents. Sure I shouldn't have made that comment, but it's not right for some people here to jump on me so viciously for having misspoken.
I'm just going to be straight with you. You worry WAY too much about how people react to you for someone who posts the **** you post.

I have NEVER used the "N" word in my life to describe a black person! I have NEVER called a black man "boy" to describe him either! I have used the expression "Hopper" or "Hip hop" to describe the STYLE of play that lots of blacks players engaged in...but it's not limited to just black guys! I don't think that makes me a "racist buffoon!"

C'mon CJ, we all know that "Hopper" is code word in your case. There are many ways to say the N word without actually saying the N word. You have a long voluminous history of posts indicating that your views on African Americans are not of the "enlightened" variety.

C'mon CJ, we all know that "Hopper" is code word in your case. There are many ways to say the N word without actually saying the N word. You have a long voluminous history of posts indicating that your views on African Americans are not of the "enlightened" variety.

Hip Hop is a culture and being a "Hopper" is just a shorten form of Hip Hop! The hip hop culture is dominated by blacks although in recent years it has transcended racial boundaries to include just about every race, color and creed! Being a "hopper" simply means you have embraced that culture and it is manifested more or less by an arrogant "me first" view point that was/is on display by the selfish play of today's NBA players! Be that as it may, it now seems that NBA Coaches have gotten through to a lot of their players and convinced them to be less selfish and more team oriented if they want to play winning basketball! What I've said above has ALWAYS been my view point and the long voluminous history of posts that I have made reflect that fact!

Hip Hop is a culture and being a "Hopper" is just a shorten form of Hip Hop! The hip hop culture is dominated by blacks although in recent years it has transcended racial boundaries to include just about every race, color and creed! Being a "hopper" simply means you have embraced that culture and it is manifested more or less by an arrogant "me first" view point that was/is on display by the selfish play of today's NBA players! Be that as it may, it now seems that NBA Coaches have gotten through to a lot of their players and convinced them to be less selfish and more team oriented if they want to play winning basketball! What I've said above has ALWAYS been my view point and the long voluminous history of posts that I have made reflect that fact!

You obviously have a blind spot with regards to how your many, many posts came across and how they were reasonably interpreted to reflect backwards views on race issues. You'll excuse me if I see this long-after-the-fact explanation as being somewhat convenient and insufficient to negate your long posting history.

Not sure why you are lumping me in with what a few outliers have done. I havent said anything about him so I am unsure why you are trying to pretend to know what I think about him and then lump me in with what you are guessing is a whole mob of people. Are you sure that is what lots of people think and I think? Or are you projecting opinions based on very little information?

I agree that who a person is and what they have done to become that person matters more than 1 things 30 years ago. I think most people agree with that and form their opinions based on that. We are both in that same "mob mentality". A slight loss of reputation sucks. Losing friends sucks but if they are not good friends than, meh. I dont choose to be friends with people based on them making the right choices. Death threats suck as well. Yep, there are lots of ****** people who send them. Every politician gets them and its unfortunate but again he is doing pretty well. He addressed it directly and is still in office and it was a minor hiccup he had to deal with. Your actions have consequences and he did what he could to fix things.

You should probably stop living in fear of some old bad action coming back to haunt you and unfairly ruin your life.

I like LogGrad a lot. But it seems like LogGrad is more worried about protecting some white person who did some messed up things in their past then he is worried about reckoning with ongoing racism in America. I could be wrong, I don't know all the things LogGrad talks about. Maybe he's called out racism on the board before ,or someplace else. But it seems to me a lot of white people are suddenly VERY concerned about how white people get treated when some racist thing from their past surfaces than he is with ongoing racism. This is an all-too-common attitude among Jazz fans IMO.

Is there even one black American who regularly posts on the board here? Serious question, I really don't know the answer.

I like LogGrad a lot. But it seems like LogGrad is more worried about protecting some white person who did some messed up things in their past then he is worried about reckoning with ongoing racism in America. I could be wrong, I don't know all the things LogGrad talks about. Maybe he's called out racism on the board before ,or someplace else. But it seems to me a lot of white people are suddenly VERY concerned about how white people get treated when some racist thing from their past surfaces than he is with ongoing racism. This is an all-too-common attitude among Jazz fans IMO.
Thanks for lumping me in. I was afraid of getting the benefit of the doubt. I'm actually just concerned about the witch Hunt climate no matter who it affects, and there have definitely been around affected of all stripes. Some deserving of the backlash, some debatable. I'm really most irritated by the whole idea that generally speaking accusation = guilty in the court of social media and the fact that it is having a real impact on people's lives regardless.

I think people in Utah do have good intentions about race but they don't understand the people they are "patronizing." Black people don't want to be patronized; they just want to be treated like their blackness is unimportant. I once went to a family reunion with my ex. There were about 300 people there and I was the only white person. But I was treated like a family member and I never felt being white was an issue or a source of discomfort.

I think people in Utah do have good intentions about race but they don't understand the people they are "patronizing." Black people don't want to be patronized; they just want to be treated like their blackness is unimportant. I once went to a family reunion with my ex. There were about 300 people there and I was the only white person. But I was treated like a family member and I never felt being white was an issue or a source of discomfort.
Oh good, I was afraid there wasn't going to be a white person who could explain to me what all black people really want...

Look @Eenie-Meenie let me help you out.

Don’t speak for others, especially when you are not part of that demographic. Regardless of personal experience. It’s just not a good look.

You’re welcome