What's new

Jazz Comparisons

The Thriller

Recently I’ve seen us compared to the Warriors and 2004 Pistons. Which is sort of weird to me. The Warriors arguably had the top 3 players at each position and then a fairly steep drop-off after that. The Pistons played a slow it down grind it out style. The team that compares the best to us I think are those late Spurs teams. At that point, their Big 3 were no longer superstars. Duncan was no longer scoring much on the low block but was more of a rebounder/shot blocker. They had a few nice young pieces, none of them superstars. They played solid (not great) defense. But they spaced it out, shot the 3, and played with great pace.

To me, I always thought that was what the Jazz were emulating, those last few Spurs teams that came close to winning two against Lebron’s Heat. Whether we actually win like they did in the playoffs, we shall see. Thoughts?

The spurs comparison is more accurate. I'm kind of wondering if it's the next step in the SSL suns. Really, this is also what the Rockets were aiming for too, we just have better defense. They'd have won a title if they had a Gobert.

The spurs comparison is more accurate. I'm kind of wondering if it's the next step in the SSL suns. Really, this is also what the Rockets were aiming for too, we just have better defense. They'd have won a title if they had a Gobert.
I wonder, if the rockets had kept Capella, would they have eventually won it? Or is zero defense Harden just not good enough?

A few years ago I said we needed to emulate the mid-2000s Pistons team as we would need to win with defense.

Though I agree we're looking more like the Spurs teams - especially the one that smoked the Heat in the 2014 Finals and had that quarter which was the best quarter of basketball I'd ever seen in my life. The ball movement was killer - and I think making that extra pass with a high-IQ team is a big comparison between us and the Spurs.

The closest comparison to us this year is the 2014-15 Warriors.

Conley/Mitchell (Curry/Klay)
Bogey (Barnes)
Royce (Draymond)
Gobert (Bogut)
Clarkson (Iguodala)
Ingles (Livingston)

The gap between Gobert and Bogut is huge as well as Ingles and Livingston. Bogey is better than Barnes and Clarkson is better than Iguodala (although they’re very different players). Royce and Draymond are a wash I think.

All of those upgrades at positions more than make up for the small gap at PG/SG.

We are the ****ing 2020-21 Jazz!

The closest comparison to us this year is the 2014-15 Warriors.

Conley/Mitchell (Curry/Klay)
Bogey (Barnes)
Royce (Draymond)
Gobert (Bogut)
Clarkson (Iguodala)
Ingles (Livingston)

The gap between Gobert and Bogut is huge as well as Ingles and Livingston. Bogey is better than Barnes and Clarkson is better than Iguodala (although they’re very different players). Royce and Draymond are a wash I think.

All of those upgrades at positions more than make up for the small gap at PG/SG.

We are the ****ing 2020-21 Jazz!
Yikes. A little bit of homerism here! 2014-15 Draymond was defensive player of the year and an innovative point forward. Definitely way more talented than Royce. And Iguodala was a former 20ppg scorer who settled into a 6th man role and decided to become an elite defender. He won finals MVP. Clarkson is definitely having an incredible season, but I do not think his overall impact on the game is better than Iguodala from that time.

That said, I do think the pre-Durant Warriors are the best comparison. The Spurs were an experienced, championship team with a former MVP, at least three future ball of fame players, and with a very experienced, championship coach. The Warriors were an innovative team highly reliant on 3pt shooting. They had a talented but unproven coach and an interesting mix of young and veteran players who were all still seeking a championship and were led by an undersized guard who averaged less than 24ppg that season.