What's new

Jazz draft Taylor Hendricks at 9

Who’s the best comp in the league for someone who makes a ton of threes and dunks it a ton? Lauri is the poster boy for that. There was some metrics done with Hendricks’ college stats and Lauri was the the top of the list. I don’t think anybody is saying Hendricks will become what Lauri has but as prospects entering the league they are extremely similar in many ways.

Who’s the best comp in the league for someone who makes a ton of threes and dunks it a ton? Lauri is the poster boy for that. There was some metrics done with Hendricks’ college stats and Lauri was the the top of the list. I don’t think anybody is saying Hendricks will become what Lauri has but as prospects entering the league they are extremely similar in many ways.
and prior to this past season, one of the main knocks on lauri were his lack of skills with the ball/shot creation skills - which is what everybody seems to criticize hendricks for.

and prior to this past season, one of the main knocks on lauri were his lack of skills with the ball/shot creation skills - which is what everybody seems to criticize hendricks for.
Lauri showed it in college and first two years in the league till his idiot coach got in the way. Even then, when he got the touches he showed the skill and ability and put up numbers. Hendricks never has. Dunks and threes is only similarity.

. Dunks and threes is only similarity.
Nope. Attempts per game, percentages, rebounds per game, assists per game, points per game.. In addition to the similarity of how they get those points (dunks and threes) So so so many similarities. Almost identical stats offensively. Defensively there are less similarities as Hendricks clearly has Lauri beat on that end.
Also Hendricks has shown the ability to put up numbers. He averaged more points per game and rebounds per game than everyone taken after of him and around him in the draft.
It's like you have dementia.

I think the draft long term will be judged by the George pick more than the Hendricks pick. The Pacers for me got the best player in our range and they were happy with him in Wallace. Trading up clearly wasn't going to happen with the Pacers because they didn't want us to draft their guy.

There were only two trades in the lottery. OKC to get Cason Wallace so Orlando couldn't grab another guard (odd) and Washington moving to 7 from 8 to stop someone else from grabbing Bilal (also kind of odd since the Pacers weren't going to grab Bilal in the first place.

So, it looks like trading up was expensive.

Essentially, we will be chatting about grabbing George vs Jalen Hood Schofino / Cam Whitmore / Podz / Dariq Whitehead for a long time. For me, I prefer the high reward gamble of drafting Whitmore, but I don't have to travel, eat, sit on the bench, and play with the guy and if he was that bad...

There will always be someone that looks good somewhere in the draft after George, but unless they were drafted somewhere in the next 4 - 6 spots, they would have felt like a reach. Cam will not have felt like a reach so there is the defining moment for the draft and it will be on this board for a LONG time.

People made fun of the comp but a poor-man's Jaren Jackson is not a horrible comp.

Plenty of minutes to go around. Especially considering Lauri can play 3 positions extremely well. He's one of the most versatile players in the NBA. I think we can find a place for a rookie to carve out minutes if he's decent. We have no depth without him

Watching the other HOU matchup. Unfortunately not a lot of full UCF games on the web:

Summary:
- Quiet offensive first half. Had some shot opportunities, but couldn't make a lot of them. Had that nice and1 but otherwise did not do much.
- Showed off his versatile shot again, but no makes this half
- Very good defensive half, performed a lot of different coverages
- Good effort against bigger players inside, but needs to put on weight

1H
- First play is a set play is a cross screen in horns. Walker trips (on his own teammate). Open 3 is a miss.
- UCF big man in short roll, Hendricks wiede open in the corner but doesn't get the pass
- Next defensive possession, rotates down leaving Walker....not much of an effort from anyone on UCF to rotate
- Quick release corner 3 against decent closeout, miss
- Semi transition missed tip in
- Pretty good effort to body up on defense against Walker in the post....doesn't give up ground, but Walker not phased either
- Very bad closeout from Sasser, Hendricks dribbles right past him into a mid range pull up. and1 (defender landed under him)
- Walker tries to iso, HOU teammte literally walks right in front giving him no option to drive (gotta love NCAA basketball). Has to shoot up a pullup middy and misses. Good defense, but was assisted by HOU player.
- Trapped on wing, but finds open man in corner
- Another quick release three from corner, miss
- He seems really aware this game, not ball watching and doing a good job keeping an eye on Walker
- Good multiple action defensive possession. Cut off a few different drives in one play
- Switches onto Sasser and gets cooked on the perimeter, bad technique
- Better job pursuing the guard this time in PnR defense, but nice passing by HOU guard
- Really good defensive possession. Tags the roller, rotates to pick up man in corner off of instinct. Turns into an iso because his closeout was good, stays in front, somehow HOU guard drains it in his face.
- Hesitates to shoot against the closeout this time
- A little late on defensive rotation, but not his fault. HOU big dunks it in his area but he had no chance.
- Gets post entry pass deflected
- Miscommunication on PnR coverage leaves him in no mans land, gets beat off the dribble but Walker can't finish
- Off the screen semi contested three moving to his left. Badly misses and hits the glass
- Putting in good effort, but HOU has a lot of physical and athletic bigs that are pushing him around a bit
- Switches on to perimeter player who challenges him. Great defense forces a missed pullup
- Loose ball falls to him and gets a bunny, Gets fouled and misses, but should have finished it
- Huge rejection on Sasser as they meet at the basket. Sasser had no chance.
- Pretty good hard hedge PnR defense forces a floater