What's new

Jazz@hawks, 3.25.12, 4:00 p.m.

I checked, ATL subbed. Willie Green in for Heinrich in the 2nd OT. Probably due to Gordon making a couple plays. It wasn't done due to fatigue IMO. Zaza subbed out with 1 second left once and towards the end with the game out of reach.

If the theory is that once you fire/burn Corbin the next guy won't ride his closers it's probably not going to happen.

So the team with the fresher legs won.

The Jazz had 5 starters. playing 49 to 58 minutes, all playing non stop for most of the 4th and 3.5 OTs, and with a bench behind them that played well in the 2nd half.

The Hawks had 2 non starters getting lots of time in the OTs, and they won.
It often happens this way, whether the coach is smart enough to do it, or players foul out, the team with the fresh legs wins.

The Jazz had 5 starters. playing 49 to 58 minutes, all playing non stop for most of the 4th and 3.5 OTs, non of them playing well, and with a bench behind them that played well in the 2nd half.

It often happens this way, whether the coach is smart enough to do it, or players foul out, the team with the fresh legs wins.

I do not believe the Hawks had fresher legs. They played with a lot of heart though. And it's not about starters but closers. IMO if Corbin wanted Burks to close the game rather than CJ, for instance, Burks would have been in there all 4 OTs.

The Jazz had 5 starters. playing 49 to 58 minutes, all playing non stop for most of the 4th and 3.5 OTs, non of them playing well, and with a bench behind them that played well in the 2nd half.

Interesting. Atlanta were on a b2b2b and smith fouled out. I would've had burks instead of miles though and big al just had LAZY defense.

Interesting. Atlanta were on a b2b2b and smith fouled out. I would've had burks instead of miles though and big al just had LAZY defense.

That was what lost us the game. Smith was chucking jumper after jumper. They only scored 2 points in the OT he played (too bad we only scored 2 also).

...And oh yeah, Joe Johnson is just CRAZY clutch. He hits threes in crunch time like no other. Jazz couldn't stop the beast. If Atlanta fed him the ball more often in the 1st or 2nd overtime, it would've been over. Fun game until the 4th ot.

Damn, what a heartbreaking loss. Plus I only set my damn DVR to record 3 hours so I had to see the result online....sigh, 4 OTs. Amazing.

Ty needed to sub a little more.
And teh worst is that the Jazz have to play tomorrow. As bad as NJ is, I expect them to blow us out.

Remember that the overtimes were not the only consecutive playing time that 5 had. They were inserted with around 5 minutes left in regulation. For those of you who are mathematically challenged that's 25 consecutive minutes or more at the end of an NBA game. At least one minute more than a half of basketball. I don't give a fig if it's SOP in the NBA to play your closer's in overtime, it made no sense after the second overtime to continue putting out the same dog tired players. I want our coach to think out of the box. I felt strongly that the coach who subbed fresh legs in would win. Neither did (we have a far superior bench) I was also upset about the games start. Not the JJ scoring but our dogged insistence to get the ball to Al every time down the court. They were ready for that tactic i believe.

I am certainly not one who overly concerns myself with minutes on the court. NBA players are coddled today with 28-30 minute rotations. Brings to mind the fact that Wilt had entire seasons when he averaged more than 48 minutes per game. But when you don't have a Wilt Chamberlain it would certainly help you win if your players are not gassed. It was the circumstances in place at the time. Back to back road games etc. Will never again believe Tyrone when he says he has confidence in our young players. So you think we can beat the Nets tomorrow? Well, i hope you are right, but i won't hold my breath.

If we win tomorrow, this loss is excused in my mind. If we lose tomorrow we could see another pointless losing streak.

Funny that nobody is mentioning some of the great shooting.

Harris 4-18
Hayward 4-15
Sap 10-25

Jeffy 14-27
CJ 7-14, 3-6 from 3

Hayward still scored 19 pts on 15 shots thanks to his 10-11 from the line. And this game went on long enough for Harris to achieve double figures in assists!

Hats off to Atlanta. They had to be dog tired. Wish we had an answer for JJ. Guess that's why they pay him the big big bucks.

We had our chances, just couldn't finish it out. I think in hind sight they should have used some subs in the OT's. Perhaps fresh legs would have been the answer. Something like burks for Miles in the 2nd OT. It's easy to armchair coach I guess.

Favors looked pretty good out there tonight and should have gotten more time, I think we can all agree on that.

For March, his /36 is about 18, 12.5, 1.1 asst, 2.1 bks, 1.1 stls (56% shooting and going to the line over 5x/gm). We could have used the fouls he draws in this game, let alone his fresh legs. Hopefully we'll see big minutes from him tomorrow with the spent veterans.