What's new

Jazz @ Heat | November 9th @ 5:30pm

There was a play last night that just plays over and over in my head. I think it was Millsaps 2nd three. The team had gotten a rebound and Williams was driving to the basket. He stopped at the three point line and quickly and forcefully passed the ball to Millsap who was to the right of him. At that split second I thought it was Miles, but then I saw it was Millsap and I thought it was a botched pass because Millsap was at the three point line. Millsap shoots and makes it. It was on purpose.

I wonder if either Williams told Millsap to set up for the three or if Millsap demanded the ball. Like, he knew he was on fire.

That play is ingrained in my mind. Beautiful game.

The first 3 was a pick n pop to the three point line, so clearly Dwill knew Sap was capable of knocking it down. After that it was just Dwill feeding the hot hand. s

Yep. All three were intentional passes to Millsap. I guess Paul wasn't lying when he said he's won a few 3-pt contests in practice. And all three attempts hit nothing but net.

As a recap, here's a nice little post I found about why the Heat were going to prove haters wrong about their vulnerability to teams with great PG's and big men.

"All of the analysts talking about the Miami Heat's supposed weaknesses at point guard and center will be exposed as false prophets tonight after the Heat's home game against Deron Williams, Al Jefferson and the Utah Jazz.

Based on the formula for determining a team's probability of winning a single game, the Heat have a 98.7 percent chance of beating the Jazz when they visit Miami tonight.

Here's a breakdown of the numbers that went into the formula:

>Miami Heat Average Wins Produced per 48 minutes: 0.187 (according to the Wins Produced Viewer)
>Miami Heat Pace: 91.5 possessions per game (see basketball-reference.com)
>Miami Heat Days Rest: Two (last game was 101-89 win over N.J. Nets on 11/7/10)
>Location: American Airlines Arena in Miami, FL (low altitude)

>Utah Jazz Average Wins Produced per 48 minutes: 0.092 (according to the Wins Produced Viewer)
>Utah Jazz Pace: 95.5 possessions per game (see basketball-reference.com)
>Utah Jazz Days Rest: Two (last game was 109-107 2OT win over L.A. Clippers on 11/7/10)

I've mentioned previously that the Heat won't be favored to lose a home game all season and this game is a perfect example of why. The Heat are literally twice as good as the Jazz and there should be no question about how this game will end.

The only question after this game will be whether or not the "experts" proclaiming the Heat's weaknesses at point guard and center will keep singing that same old, tired song after Deron Williams and Al Jefferson get run out of the building.

Predicted score: Heat 100, Jazz 86."

TAKE THAT, You unsufferable Heat Fan!!!!!

SOURCE

Posted on Wed, Nov. 10, 2010

Miami Heat stunned by Utah Jazz in overtime

BY JOSEPH GOODMAN
jgoodman@MiamiHerald.com

After his team's loss to New Orleans last week, coach Erik Spoelstra implored the Heat to ``hit first'' in games rather than absorb an opponent's first punch and then counter.
The Heat did that Tuesday, and rocked the Jazz on its heels early. But the Jazz countered with a punch of its own -- several punches, actually.

In its first real test at home this season, the Heat could not withstand a furious comeback by the Jazz and lost 116-114 in overtime. LeBron James had four points at halftime but recorded his first triple-double in a Heat uniform with 20 points, 14 assists and 11 rebounds.

``It's a very disappointing loss and hopefully a lesson we'll learn from this game -- when you have an opportunity to keep on grinding and close a team out, particularly on the defensive end, you have to take advantage,'' Spoelstra said.

After taking a five-point lead in overtime, the Heat (5-3) trailed by three with less than 20 seconds left and Dwyane Wade with the ball in his hands.

Wade crossed up Jazz defender Ronnie Price with a dribble to his left before firing a three-pointer to tie the score at 114.

Wade scored the Heat's first seven points of overtime, including a high-flying dunk with 3:22 left.

But Wade wasn't the hero on this night in which the Heat led by as many as 22 points in the first half. Wade fouled reserve Francisco Elson on the Jazz's final shot of the game, sending Elson to the free-throw line. He made both, banking in the second.

Eddie House heaved a final, desperation jumper from the baseline with 0.4 seconds left in overtime but the shot glanced off of the rim.

Spoelstra said afterwards that a lob inside to James was the first option, but James was well defended. House also missed a buzzer-beater against New Orleans last week.

``I think Jerry Sloan is one of the best coaches we have in the league and he kind of figured out what we were going to do,'' James said.

Forward Paul Millsap led the Jazz with career-high 46 points, including 33 points in the second half and overtime.

Millsap was 19 of 28 from the floor, including 3 of 3 from the three-point arc. He also had nine rebounds. The Jazz (4-3) scored 84 points in the second half and overtime after trailing the Heat 51-32 at halftime.

``It's speechless to be down like that to a team like this in a hostile environment and come out with a win,'' Millsap said. ``We clawed our way out of there, but that says a lot about our team and the guys we have on our team.''

Before Wade's dramatic three-pointer in overtime, the Heat missed three consecutive shots on separate possessions with chances to take the lead: a layup try by James, a baseline jumper by Udonis Haslem and a miss from Wade.

The last Heat player with a triple-double was Shaquille O'Neal, who posted a 15-point, 11-rebound, 10-assist night against Toronto on April 11, 2006. James is the seventh player to accomplish the feat in a Heat uniform.

Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko swished a three-pointer with 1:50 left in overtime to give Utah a 112-111 lead in front an already stunned arena. Many of the Heat's fans left early, believing the Jazz had no chance at a comeback.

Wade led the Heat with 39 points on 12-of-23 shooting form the field, and Chris Bosh had 17 points. It wasn't enough to stop the Jazz in the fourth quarter, though. Utah shot 70.8 percent (17 of 24) from the floor in the final 12 minutes of regulation.

After making three three-pointers in the final 21 seconds of regulation, including back-to-back three-pointers from Millsap with 12.1 and 4.3 seconds left, the Jazz tied the score with 3.4 seconds remaining on a put-back by Millsap. Both Heat guards Carlos Arroyo and Dwyane Wade missed free throws in the final seconds of regulation to allow the Jazz a chance to tie the game.

During his postgame news conference, Bosh said he never recalled seeing Millsap make a three-pointer until Tuesday.

Millsap was 2 of 20 from three-point range for his career before the game. The Jazz was 1 of 7 from three-point range entering the fourth quarter but 7 of 12 from distance in the fourth quarter and overtime.

``The basketball gods were with him and he made the shots,'' Wade said of Millsap.

His offense will come around. I dont doubt that. As far as staying in front of Kobe or Wade...who the hell can? I mean, seriously.

Not many, but Raja really isn't a "Kobe stopper" or a really good defender. He tries hard, but he's not a Bruce Bowen caliber guy who can be a problem for the other team's top scorer. He's not a bad defender, just overrated imo. I hope you are right about his shot. I'm not looking for a few big games here, and there.
We need someone who can consistently hit open jumpers every night.

I have the game but its like 4.09 gigs in 720p HD.... Anyway someone needs to start a orlando thread...

Stein just tweeted that Kind James teams had never blown a 20 point lead in 2nd half before the Jazz rally last night. LBJ's record in that situation was 115-0.

The great part is that he tagged @KingJames in the tweet.

Vinyl - it's cool you like Bell. I see his value as more of a role model, and leader. His play on the court is not that good though.
He is more valuable with his teaching than his play right now imo. Sort of like what Fisher was for us. He is really fustrating to watch
play though. Dude seems to miss all his jumpers, and he really can't stay in front of any star like Kobe/Wade etc.

He hit a crucial 3 at the end of the third. Should make it all better. hehe. Give him a few weeks, he didn't even play last season.

For those of you who might be vaguely interested, this game was shown live on Australia's 24-hour free-to-air sports channel yesterday. Unfortunately my timer wasn't set for long enough due to the game going into OT and my recording stopped with 3:30 to go in OT. Fortunately they replayed the game last night and I was able to record it and watch the final 5 minutes this morning. What an amazing win! Even better since my best mate is a Heat fan!

The whole league seems to love (and fear) the Jazz now, eh?:

Mavericks marvel at Utah feat

Posted at 12:35 PM on Wed., Nov. 10, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Eddie Sefko / Reporter Bio | E-mail |
email-icon.jpg
News tips
One of the hot topics at shootaround today at the FedEx Forum in Memphis was Utah's remarkable win at Miami Tuesday night.
If you didn't see that game, let me describe it for you:
Wow!!!
Jazz forward Paul Millsap scored 11 points in the last 30 seconds of regulation to force overtime and the Jazz, playing the extra period without Deron Williams who had fouled out, won it by two points.
"Millsap did his Reggie Miller,'' coach Rick Carlisle said, referring to the former Pacer's 3-point barrage in the final seconds of a playoff game that beat New York years ago.
"Hey, that's a huge win for them,'' said DeShawn Stevenson, a former Jazz player. "We were watching that at the team dinner and it was crazy.''
Though none of the Mavericks would say it, we here at blog central can.
It was good to see Miami go down hard like that. They seem to carry themselves with a sense of entitlement, like every game is rightfully theirs.
Somehow, they are only 5-3 this season.
--Eddie Sefko

"All of the analysts talking about the Miami Heat's supposed weaknesses at point guard and center will be exposed as false prophets tonight after the Heat's home game against Deron Williams, Al Jefferson and the Utah Jazz.

Based on the formula for determining a team's probability of winning a single game, the Heat have a 98.7 percent chance of beating the Jazz when they visit Miami tonight.

Predicted score: Heat 100, Jazz 86."

That's classic, Glass. Do you remember where you got it (have a cite?). I love those who arrogantly predict the future while callin anyone who questions them "false prophets."

Haven't heard it talked about much but how about Ronnie Price's crossover on Wade? Great move and a great left-handed dish to Elson.

Also, people are criticizing Bosh and Haslem for their defense on Millsap but to me the Heat players who deserve the blame are LeBron and to a lesser extent Wade. In the final minute Carlos Arroyo was 4-7 on FT's. LeBron and Wade feel more comfortable with Arroyo shooting those FT's than themselves? And 1 FG attempt in the 4th quarter and OT for LeBron? I'm sure MJ and Kobe would've done the same.

:00.0 - Amazingly, Jerry Sloan has a timeout left. The draw up play is for CJ Miles who misses in the corner and Millsap offensive rebound put back beats the Horn and we are going to ot. Without the timeout nobody is in rebounding position and the game doesn’t go to OT.

nothing amazing about that sloan has timeouts in his closset from his first season in the nba.
heck sloan has more timeouts than the nba will use in the next 10 years