What's new

Jazz @ Heat | November 9th @ 5:30pm

There was a game like this like 3 or something years ago against GS where we were dead to rights and the arena was emptying when Memo started drilling 3 after 3.. I think he even got a 4 point play, at GS kept missing FTs and we were able to tie it and win in OT. Just similar in how there were tons of clutch 3s. Not as epic as beatin the fabled 3 on their court though

It's always amusing to look back through the game thread after a night like this. Watching comments go from "we are ******* horrible. I am done watching Jazz basketball forever!" to "I want to bear Millsap's children!"

Good stuff. Oh yeah, and NBA officiating sucks.

I didn't get to watch this game until 2am - well worth losing a night of sleep. THAT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!!

GO JAZZ!!!

Is there really anyone left who wants to put limits on Sap's ceiling? He's doing everything--finishing, shooting, handling the basketball, maneuvering in the paint, scoring over taller defenders, defending. When we finally get Big Al completely on board, that tandem of Sap and Al is going to be fearsome.

My only complaint right now is his FT shooting, but that is hopefully improving as well.

that inbound violation foul (or whatever it was) in the final seconds of regulation... i didn't get a good look at it, but it did appear to be the worst call in the history of all four major American professional sports. or am i wrong?

it was a perfect example of the refs stepping in to decide the game. not only did they consequently allow the home team the perfect number of FTs to ice the game, it also eliminated the visiting team's most important player from the game. it was a textbook NBA call. despite the outcome of the game, i'm sure the crew got major kudos from the league office for a job well done.

I thought it was about as questionable as they come, really.

Hmmm i understand the praises for MSap and media highlighting James triple-double but no love for AK?

16 pts, 9 rebs, 7 assists, a steal, a block and key 3pointer late in the game

There was a play last night that just plays over and over in my head. I think it was Millsaps 2nd three. The team had gotten a rebound and Williams was driving to the basket. He stopped at the three point line and quickly and forcefully passed the ball to Millsap who was to the right of him. At that split second I thought it was Miles, but then I saw it was Millsap and I thought it was a botched pass because Millsap was at the three point line. Millsap shoots and makes it. It was on purpose.

I wonder if either Williams told Millsap to set up for the three or if Millsap demanded the ball. Like, he knew he was on fire.

That play is ingrained in my mind. Beautiful game.

SOURCE

Postgame quotes and notes — Bell's halftime speech inspires Jazz
Published on Nov 9, 2010 11:24PM 1 Comments
Postgame quotes and notes following the Jazz's 116-114 road victory over Miami on Tuesday.

An inspired halftime speech by Raja Bell fired and woke up the Jazz. Bell was unable to go into detail about his message after the game, since he had to meet his family.

Paul Millsap on Bell's speech: "When Raja talks, something's really wrong. So, first of all, we had to pick it up. We didn't want to come out and get blown out. We knew they was going to try to blow us out of the game, and they tried to do that in the first half. Because we wasn't physical.

"It was touching. … He don't [usually take that role]. He's kind of soft spoken in the locker room. But I guess when we needed him, he came through for us. And that actually helped us out."

C.J. Miles on Bell's speech: "We came in [at halftime]. I don't want to say our heads were down, but you could see the frustration. Guys were made, which kind of helped spark the fire to play hard. Because nobody likes to be embarrassed on the basketball court. And then you come in with the expectations of people expecting us to get beat. And we don't like hearing that. At halftime, Raj came in; he said that we had to be tough; we can't control if we shoot the ball well and it goes in and out, or we get some bad calls — whatever may be. Everything's not going to be perfect. But we can be tough and we can defend those guys. And in the second half, we showed that. Even if we made mistakes, we were playing hard. And it just carried over into the bench. We came in, and just fed off their energy and tried to take it up a notch."

Deron Williams on Bell's speech: "He told us … we can't let our offense dictate our defense. We've got to be tough, no matter what. We've got to play hard, no matter what. We had a lot of shots rim out and we kind of hung our heads, and I was kind of guilty of it as well the first quarter, the first half. And we didn't do that the second half. If we missed or made a mistake, we just went on to the next play.

Millsap suffered a bruised right hip and temporarily left the game. He said he will be fine. "It is what it is," Millsap said.

Williams joked that he asks Millsap every year, "Are you going to spread the floor for me and shoot some 3s?." Williams compared Millsap's ability to hit 3s to having Mehmet Okur back on the court.

Williams on the team sticking together: "This was a team win. Paul put us on his back offensively, but everybody won this game. … I can say that everybody on the team that got in helped us."

Williams joked that Millsap's back will hurt Wednesday from carrying the team.

Williams referred to Kyrylo Fesenko as a "space eater" whose big body makes an immediate impact for the Jazz. Williams also praised contributions by Francisco Elson, Ronnie Price and C.J. Miles

Al Jefferson on not playing during overtime and his thought process: "That we had a chance to win. I feel like at the end of third, beginning of the fourth, we had a great group out there who was doing great things, and we've got to roll with that group. Fes was out there; playing some good defense; active. We just have to roll with that. I was just sitting back there, just cheering my team on, and hoping we'd get this victory."

On winning despite having a poor game: "That's the thing about this team, man. For me to have a bad game; D-Will to foul out; and we still put ourselves in a position to win. We still won."

Ronnie Price: "It was just an all-around good effort. I can't tell you how good it feels to come in here and show some heart and effort and fight back in the game the way we did."

Building on victory and taking something positive from rally: "If it doesn't, I think we're crazy. It should. This should be a learning experience, as well as a good wall for us to climb over and recognize what we have in this locker room. If we start off a game playing the way we did in the second half, we're a special ball club."

Second consecutive OT win after halftime deficit: "That shows that we have enough talent in this locker room in order to do those types of things. But you don't win championships doing that. You win championships by playing 48 minutes every night. Learning experience."

Jeremy Evans said his right wrist is fine and he is at 100 percent. Evans did not play due to a coach's decision for the second consecutive game, and has missed Utah's last four contests.

Utah rallied to shoot 48.4 percent from the floor after hitting just 31.4 percent of their field goal attempts during the first half.

Millsap's 46 points tied Golden State's Monta Ellis for an NBA season high.

Lost in Millsap's breakout and Utah's OT win was a fine performance from Heat guard Dwayne Wade, who scored 39 points and temporarily appeared to put the game away with a late left-corner 3.

Triple double from LeBron James (20 points, 14 assists, 11 rebounds) but poor shooting overall.

Chris Bosh looks good in the box score but faded down the stretch.

The Heat led by 22 during the first quarter.

Utah scored just 32 points during the first half. The Jazz then scored 42 during the fourth quarter and 12 in overtime — one less than their first-period total.

Perimeter shooting continues to be a struggle for Utah. Raja Bell and C.J. Miles combined to shoot 6 of 20 from the field. However, Utah rallied to finish at 42.1 percent (8 of 19) beyond the arc after going just 1 of 6 during the first half.

Strong performance from Fesenko. Mirrored Francisco Elson's performance against Clippers, during which Elson's emotional contributions were more important than his actual numbers.

Heat shot 47 free throws, Jazz took 21.

Utah outscored Miami 56-36 in the paint.

— Brian T. Smith

Im glad Bell is on this team. I was glad from the first day I heard he was coming back.

finally some sanity from Heat fans.
"Didn't even think it was a flagrant if i'm honest, he went for, and got the ball, he was just moving quite quickly and JJ landed awkwardly."

SOURCE

Official postgame quotes and notes — Jazz 116, Heat 114, OT

Published on Nov 10, 2010 07:24AM 0 Comments

Official postgame quotes and notes following the Jazz's 116-114 overtime road victory over Miami on Tuesday.

Jazz win the first of a four-game trip away from Salt Lake tonight, scoring 72 points in the second half and 12 more in overtime. They visit Orlando tomorrow, then Atlanta and Charlotte to conclude the trip.

Jazz began the game by missing 15 of their first 17 shots from the floor and trailed by 16 points (25-9) late in the first quarter. They would trail by 19 points atthe half and by as much as 22 points in the first half.

Jazz record a HEAT opponent-high 32 field goals in the second half, shooting 62.7 percent (32-for-51) in the second half.

Jazz allow a triple-double tonight for the first time since November 7, 2007 when LeBron James did it for the Cavaliers.

Paul Millsap scored a career-high 46 points, the highest scoring game by a Jazz player since Karl Malone scored 56 points at Golden State on April 7, 1998. He also sets a career high with 19 made field goals, the most by a Jazz player since Karl Malone made 21 shots from the floor vs. Portland on December 26, 1995. The 28 field goal attempts are also a career high.

Paul Millsaps’s 19 field goals mark the fourth highest single-game total against Miami and his 46 points is the 10th highest single-game total against the HEAT.

Paul Millsap’s 46 points are the most by a member of the Utah Jazz in a game against the Miami HEAT. The previous high was Karl Malone’s 40 points at Utah on January 2, 1991.

Deron Williams recorded 14 assists tonight. He is the third HEAT opponent to record at least 14 assists in a game this season (Paul 19, Rondo 17). It is his fourth career double-figure assist game against Miami.

Deron Williams
On the game:

“First halves have cost us a lot this year. We just seem to come out flat and we don’t execute. A lot of it was just missing shots. We missed some open looks early. I think we let that determine what we did on the other end. It should be the other way around. We should let our defense start things and then our offense will follow. I thought we did that in the second half and we were able to get back into the game. First half we were just standing there. We didn’t get any easy baskets. In the second half we started moving the ball and screening well. When we do that guys get open and it is a lot easier to play like that.”

“It is a great win for us. We’ve been on the other end where we’ve been up 20 at half and you kind of coast and it is hard to get back in the game. We just kept chipping away. Paul Millsap just carried us and put us on his back. It was great. This team fought. It says a lot about us. We’re not going to lay down for anybody.”
On Paul Millsap’s performance:
“Once I realized Paul had the hot hand, I just tried to run as many pick-and-rolls and get him in situations where he could get good shots. He just did everything tonight.”

Kyrylo Fesenko

On the game:

“I was just trying to do my role for the team on the court and play as hard as I could on defense and help guys as much as I could on offense. We played great team basketball in the fourth quarter.”

Paul Millsap

On the game:

“It felt great (to hit three-point baskets). It got me going in the third quarter. It was great to see the basket open up that wide. I put them up and they went in. We have guys who stepped up to the challenge. We started moving (in the third quarter). We got more aggressive on the offensive end. We started setting screens for each other. It opened up a lot for us. They were pushing us around a lot in the first half. We were real soft in the first half. I think that is what got us over the edge, coming out and playing our type of basketball. We were the aggressors in the second half and it helped us out.”

“It is speechless to be down like that to a team like this in a hostile environment and come out with a win. We clawed our way out of there. It says a lot about our team.”
On his three point shot:

“I practice that every day. To come out here and see that it pays off; that feels good. I think it shocked them a little bit tonight. When I popped out, there wasn’t really a guy in my face. I am going to continue to try to shock people and sneak out there every now and then.”

On his basket at the end of regulation:

“When it rains it pours. It (the rebound) fell right into my hand. My thing was to just put it up quick and put it in the basket.”

On getting the opportunity to start this season:

“This season is what I was waiting for. It is what I’ve been waiting for all my life. After playing four years under Carlos (Boozer) I finally got the opportunity to go out there and showcase my skills to the fullest. My thing was to come out and prove I am worthy to play that position.”

Jerry Sloan

On the Game:

“We had a tough time getting going and we finally started playing harder, and obviously when you play a little harder, you shoot the ball a little bit better. We didn’t shoot the ball very well in the first half. That was a great win for us.”

On Paul Millsap:

“It shows you what he is about. When it he gets tough, he doesn’t stop working. That’s what he been doing since he’s been with us, and works at his game to make himself better. He works on every little aspect of the game all the time, and that gives you a chance to get better. He is a no nonsense guy when he plays.”

On the Utah Jazz:

“You saw how we came out; we settled for shots, we got some decent ones, but they just didn’t go in. Once we started moving, we did a better job of executing our offense.”

“That’s what basketball is all about; working hard. The results will come if you continue to work hard. I think we surprise other people sometimes.”
— Brian T. Smith

SOURCE

Locked on Jazz—Insane win in Miami

November 10th, 2010

On my goodness !!!! What an insane win and an incomprehensible performance by Paul Millsap.

The Jazz win in Miami was more than a single win. It was a bonding for a new team. Raja Bell took the veteran leadership role in the locker-room tonight giving the halftime speech and urging the team to continue to fight. Raja stepped into a role that has been absent from the Jazz since the departure of Derek Fisher.

Jerry Sloan notched his 1,100th win as Utah Jazz coach. A win that maybe can only be accomplished with 23 years of experienced. Sticking to his motto that he plays players not contracts he left Al Jefferson on the bench for the entire 4th quarter and overtime and got enough from Francisco Elson and Kyrylo Fesenko to get the win.

Ronnie Price has two of the most memorable passes in Utah Jazz history, last year to Sundiata Gaines and this year a scoop to Elson with .4 seconds left and for the first time in his career the 34 year Elson had make a free throw to win a game and he nailed it.

The Jazz free throw shooting in overtime was an impressive 7/8 with Andrei Kirienko hitting two big free throws with 20.6 seconds left to the Jazz a 3 point lead. With less than 2 minutes left in ot AK hit a three to give the Jazz a 112-111 lead one they never gave back.

Deron Williams dominated the second half before fouling out. After 1 for 5 first half with just 2 point Williams dropped 19 points and 12 assists on 8 of 10 shooting in the 2nd half.

Even with all of those heroics the story of the night was Paul Millsap leading the Jazz back from the second biggest halftime deficit in franchise history. Millsap was unreal. He finished with 46 pts; 9 rebs on 19 of 28 shooting. Amazingly, Millsap came into the game with 2 three pointers in his career and hit 3 in a 24 second span in the 4th quarter to bring the Jazz back. (see below)

Early in the night Paul Millsap humiliated Chris Bosh on numerous possessions and was the Jazz lone bright spot. Bosh couldn’t guard Millsap. In the first half Millsap went 6 of 9 and had 13 points. To open the third quarter Millsap and Williams riddled the Miami defense. Millsap scored 10 points in the first 6 minutes of the quarter with all 5 baskets assisted by Williams. Bosh had no chance.

Millsap didn’t stop there. He added another 8 in the quarter and 6 more before the Heat removed Bosh from the game. Millsap finished the 3rd quarter with 18 points on 8 of 11 shooting.

With Haslam now on Millsap, CJ Miles got the Jazz rolling to open the 4th quarter, scoring 6 straight points to bring the Jazz within 5 and then added another 2 with 7:36 left to bring the Jazz to within two. Ronnie Price hit a three on the next Jazz offensive possession and the game was tied at 79 with 6:48 left, a 22 point deficit was gone.

Deron gave the Jazz a brief lead, but the Heat answered on a 9-0 run that was seemingly insurmountable. With the score 98-90 and 37.3 seconds left insanity happened.

:28.7 – Millsap hits his first three and the Jazz are within 5 and need to foul

:27.3 – Fesenko alertly sprints up the floor to foul Deron’s man as Deron has 5 fouls. Arroyo hits 1 of the 2 free throws. Miami by 6.

:21.9 – Deron hits a three to make it a 3 point game, heads up to still have Deron in the game not fouled out.

:19.3 - Fesenko fouls Arroyo again. Heads up again. Arroyo hit both to make it a 5 point game.

:12.1 - Millsap magic strikes again from three and it is a 2 point game.

:10.1 – Arroyo goes to the line and hits both free throws to make it a 4 point game. Deron fouled Arroyo

:04.3 – Millsap does it a third time. And it is a one point game.

:04.3 – Deron tries to draw an offensive foul on the inbound from Arroyo, he had been lobbing the official the play before but he gets caught fouling Arroyo before the inbound so the Heat get a free throw for a dead ball foul but Arroyo misses.

:03.4 - Wade is fouled and only makes 1 of 2. It is a 2 point game

:00.0 - Amazingly, Jerry Sloan has a timeout left. The draw up play is for CJ Miles who misses in the corner and Millsap offensive rebound put back beats the Horn and we are going to ot. Without the timeout nobody is in rebounding position and the game doesn’t go to OT.

The Jazz shot 71% in the 4th quarter and hit 6 of 11 from three point land in a 42 point quarter.

Vinyl - it's cool you like Bell. I see his value as more of a role model, and leader. His play on the court is not that good though.
He is more valuable with his teaching than his play right now imo. Sort of like what Fisher was for us. He is really fustrating to watch
play though. Dude seems to miss all his jumpers, and he really can't stay in front of any star like Kobe/Wade etc.

Vinyl - it's cool you like Bell. I see his value as more of a role model, and leader. His play on the court is not that good though.
He is more valuable with his teaching than his play right now imo. Sort of like what Fisher was for us. He is really fustrating to watch
play though. Dude seems to miss all his jumpers, and he really can't stay in front of any star like Kobe/Wade etc.

His offense will come around. I dont doubt that. As far as staying in front of Kobe or Wade...who the hell can? I mean, seriously.

Great article by ESPN.

SOURCE

1. Millsap's Career Night Leads Utah Rally
By Brian Windhorst
ESPN.com
MIAMI -- In the euphoric Utah Jazz locker room they were already calling it the "Miami Miracle."

The 22-point comeback win against Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh on Tuesday night?

Well, that too. But it was more the jaw-dropping performance from the guy they call Miss Bettye's son. That would be Paul Millsap, whose 46 points in the Jazz's comeback 116-114 overtime victory was only the second-most amazing detail of the night.

Not even Millsap's mother, Miss Bettye, would have believed her 6-foot-8 power forward son would make three consecutive 3-pointers in a downright bizarre fourth quarter to erase the Heat's 22-point lead.

The putback at the buzzer that forced overtime, that is more Millsap's style. But the 3s each splashed through the net with such precision that if you didn't have a wide-screen television you might have sworn they were released from the fingers of Kobe Bryant.

"I'm speechless," Millsap said. "When everything is going your way, when it rains it pours."

He made them in a span of less than 25 seconds of game time, each widening the gaze of dumbfounded Heat players. They were doing what they were supposed to do, which was to collapse on Jazz guard Deron Williams and force the ball to someone else.

In fact, Williams' giving up the ball to Millsap outside the 3-point line was exactly what the Heat wanted. It is a wonder that Millsap was even out that far, other than to attempt to set screens to free up his point guard.

"I don't know what Paul Millsap's career 3-point percentage is," James said. "But I know it's not 100 percent."

Actually, it was 10 percent -- before the last 28 seconds. He was 2-of-20 in his career and hadn't tried one all season. What a mistake, he's apparently a late bloomer.

"I know he can shoot 3s, I see him do it all summer long," Williams said. "I ask him every year: Are you going to spread the floor for me and shoot some 3s now?"

Frankly, it is unfair to examine just those three remarkable moments. Millsap's overall performance was probably the finest of his career. He couldn't remember ever scoring so many points in a game at any level.

He was 19-of-28 shooting overall, tearing all facets of the Heat defense to shreds. Miami has posted some strong defensive numbers in the early going. But the Heat have experienced issues defending some opposing big men and this was no different.

While Millsap's 3-pointers will be the memory, the stat line was built on bunnies. In fairness, several times Millsap hit midrange jumpers on the backside of plays that were set up by Williams' excellent driving and passing. No team could defend some of those shots; Williams demands attention and the Jazz have expertly crafted sets that get Millsap the ball in his comfort zone from 15-18 feet.

But there is also no dodging the fact that Millsap victimized Chris Bosh and Udonis Haslem regularly around the rim, making 10 baskets within 5 feet of the basket.

When Millsap made the last of those, the putback at the final horn, he lost Haslem and was untouched. Those are issues the Heat will have to confront sooner or later. The game film from this one will be tough to swallow in the Miami locker room, especially when the last play is reviewed.

But Millsap wasn't thinking about the Heat as he basked in the buzz afterward, his knees in ice along with his hip and his ankle. He actually suffered a bruised hip during the fourth quarter before returning to hit those 3s.

Pain wasn't on Millsap's mind, either. There was something else.

Carlos Boozer had some huge games as a Jazz man, and it is perhaps unfair to compare Millsap to the man he formerly backed up so early in his run as the new starter. No was thinking about Boozer in the Jazz party after this one, except for Millsap.

"This season is what I've been waiting for all my life," he said. "Four years playing under Carlos, I finally got the opportunity to showcase my skills to the fullest. My thing is, I just wanted to come out and try to prove I'm worthy to play that position."

What Millsap means to Utah is worthy of the four-year, $32 million contract the Jazz agreed to in the summer of 2009 when they matched a front-loaded Portland Trail Blazers offer sheet for the free-agent forward. There's still a lot left on that deal, but Millsap can certainly cash his next check with pride.

"How many people would've thought three or four years ago that he'd made three 3-point shots in a row," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "He's a no-nonsense guy when he plays; he's a wonderful guy to coach. It is fun to see someone have success who works like he does."

Brian Windhorst is a regular contributor to the Daily Dime.