What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Cam Payne is pretty awesome... I wonder how much money he gets this offseason. I'm guessing he's a full MLE guy. If Mike bails it'd sure be nice to have the MLE available to help plug up some holes. We could drop some salary but he might still be out of our price range. Sometimes these guys that have a huge year and look like they have turned a corner regress but I think he only goes up from here. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get more than MLE.

When in doubt draft a wing... sign a wing... trade for a wing... You can play 3x-4x as many wings as you can centers.
Exactly. I'm always going to defer to wings over anything else. It's been a wing driven league since MJ and Pippen. Sure bigs have played a part, but usually they are surrounded by really good wing players.

Exactly. I'm always going to defer to wings over anything else. It's been a wing driven league since MJ and Pippen. Sure bigs have played a part, but usually they are surrounded by really good wing players.
Even PGs you can play 2 of them... so there is twice as much opportunity to see the court. If you draft guys that don't see the court they do not develop and their trade value tanks. I get that late first round is a crap shoot but you have to give yourself a chance to hit a potential double or triple. Drafting backup centers is hoping the lay a bunt down to advance the runner.

Even PGs you can play 2 of them... so there is twice as much opportunity to see the court. If you draft guys that don't see the court they do not develop and their trade value tanks. I get that late first round is a crap shoot but you have to give yourself a chance to hit a potential double or triple. Drafting backup centers is hoping the lay a bunt down to advance the runner.
But Dok was like the 2nd best player in the draft, so you can't pass that up.

There’s nobody on base.

Udoka played the least amount of minutes of any first round pick that came to the league this year. He doesn't project to get any minutes next year unless there is an injury. I think if you keep Favs you have to consider alternating them to get Udoka minutes... we won't though.

So we will be two year in with very little idea of what we have. Does he finally get minutes in Year 3 or is Year 4 essentially his "rookie" year. Just a miserable way to waste an asset.

But Dok was like the 2nd best player in the draft, so you can't pass that up.
Not sure if you are serious... if you are and the front office really believes that then guess what? You don't spend the money on Favors. At least not on a multi year deal... one year deal only.

Not sure if you are serious... if you are and the front office really believes that then guess what? You don't spend the money on Favors. At least not on a multi year deal... one year deal only.
I was joking, but pretty sure there was a quote from the front office that they had Dok graded out as the second best prospect in the draft. I agree that it was crazy to both draft Azubuike and sign Favors long term.

I was joking, but pretty sure there was a quote from the front office that they had Dok graded out as the second best prospect in the draft. I agree that it was crazy to both draft Azubuike and sign Favors long term.
I figured... the point still stands... if the front office honestly believes that then you trust the kid to play backup minutes as a rookie. Bring in a veteran minimum backup just in case Udoh, Birch, Len. If you are going to have weird convictions at least trust them.

Get Bazemore for $5m on a one or two year deal. Avoid the tax and be flexible next year. Or you get Green at 3/30M if you feel you have to give the full boat. And have Udoka as a fall back if small ball doesn’t work. It was clear there was never gonna be a situation where they played the guy.

The 2nd we used to trade for Matty *** would help in any number of ways, including but not limited to helping to offload Favors' murderous deal that the Jazz never needed to sign him to.

Anyway, I came on here to ask about the prospect of signing Richaun Holmes with the full MLE. Seems mobile and skilled enough to do better than Gobert in a 5-out defense and that's what killed us. But we can't even dream of something like that with Favors on the books. Maybe we can just dump him on the Kings?
Moves like the favs signing and Matty Ice trade is what get you into that top 3 spot for executive of the year. GMs around the league would definitely wanna see more of that and probably sign petitions to keep DL around.

The other thing you get by splitting the MLE in two is it’s easier to match contracts in a trade if you need to. Sterling Brown and Bazemore for 3M and 5M and Quin has some options... if it ain’t working and a guy like Tucker becomes available you might be able to nab him.

There were options... abundant options.

The other thing you get by splitting the MLE in two is it’s easier to match contracts in a trade if you need to. Sterling Brown and Bazemore for 3M and 5M and Quin has some options... if it ain’t working and a guy like Tucker becomes available you might be able to nab him.

There were options... abundant options.
I agree with you, but one thing I have to do is move on. Maybe it's my personal past or whatever, but I always look to the future instead of getting mired in the past or present. We F'd up with the Conley deal. We F'd up a lot of things in recent years. I can't stay in the land of what-ifs for too long.

I know we can continue to be a force for the regular season AND become a force for the postseason. It will just take some very intentional moves maximizing our assets to address our need areas (youth, wing defense, stretch 5 option).

Udoka played the least amount of minutes of any first round pick that came to the league this year. He doesn't project to get any minutes next year unless there is an injury. I think if you keep Favs you have to consider alternating them to get Udoka minutes... we won't though.

So we will be two year in with very little idea of what we have. Does he finally get minutes in Year 3 or is Year 4 essentially his "rookie" year. Just a miserable way to waste an asset.
No reasonable owner(especially the new ones) can be looking at this whole mess from last offseason and say, "good job, definitely gonna trust you with handling of more assets in the future."

Alright... here’s what I’d try to do.

Sign Rudy Gay with full mini-MLE 3/18
If that doesn’t happen then give Batum the same offer. My worry is his motivation seems to waiver a bit. One of those guys needs to replace Bogey...

Trade Bogey to Dallas for Kleber. Saves 9M and now we can play 5 out when we need to... if that doesn’t work then...

Trade Bogey to Charlotte in a three team deal... hayward to Indy... Turner and Bojan to Charlotte... we get Washington (my preference) or Bridges and take Lamb in the deal. Saves us a few million in salary and helps us play 5 out. I think I prefer this deal to the Dallas one. Lamb is perpetually injured but a good player if he can stay healthy and he is expiring.

Then you see what you can do with Favs... can you get a smaller deal in... can you get a different player type? Saving a few million would really help with the tax.

We have to keep Mike to have any hope so cut salaries around the edges. I think we lose some shooting with Bojan but get better basketball players and can move to 5 out lineups when need be.

Sucks we have to bench our highest paid player at points in the playoffs but there are scenarios where we just have to do it.
I agree with most of that but I do not believe we need to keep Mike. Adding a bigger combo-guard through S&T or trading other players can fill that gap. Mike is not the savior.

I agree with most of that but I do not believe we need to keep Mike. Adding a bigger combo-guard through S&T or trading other players can fill that gap. Mike is not the savior.
We likely can’t do a sign and trade unless we offload like 15M in salary. The issue if we let Mike go is that it takes like 3 moves to rework and pivot... it’s a lot of work for DL and he’d have to be pretty creative cap wise. The fact that we missed the tax by like 2M this year and there are pretty serious ramifications for starting the repeater tax clock shows me he’s no where near the cap manager we need for the job.

No reasonable owner(especially the new ones) can be looking at this whole mess from last offseason and say, "good job, definitely gonna trust you with handling of more assets in the future."
So why is DL in Chicago? The time for action was right after we lost. Tony has suggested something might be afoot, but I am doubtful anything will actually happen.

So why is DL in Chicago? The time for action was right after we lost. Tony has suggested something might be afoot, but I am doubtful anything will actually happen.
Still have a couple months... its kinda hard to do a full transition this time of year. I think they bring in another voice but DL stays around this summer. Zanik may be out... remember that weird report in the last year he was interviewing for another job or was a candidate. Kinda let me know DL is still the guy here and Zanik is seen as more a VP and not a full GM.

So someone comes in and maybe DL bounces in the pre-season... then someone is elevated to the main man or they bring in a heavy hitter.

We likely can’t do a sign and trade unless we offload like 15M in salary. The issue if we let Mike go is that it takes like 3 moves to rework and pivot... it’s a lot of work for DL and he’d have to be pretty creative cap wise. The fact that we missed the tax by like 2M this year and there are pretty serious ramifications for starting the repeater tax clock shows me he’s no where near the cap manager we need for the job.
The problem is to do anything at all to address our real needs, Mike would have to sign for such a low amount, that keeping him would be essentially impossible. I think they would be better off trying to do just what you said there, and add in players such as favors, bogdanovich, or end of the bench guys, to try to retool around, say our core four or five guys.

I don't think we need to blow everything up the way a lot of people are talking, and look to move Gobert or Mitchell at all costs, but unless we can find exactly the right guy at a pretty damn low price, I think it makes sense to move a decent chunk of the team, to get the guy(s) we need, and fill in around the edges with more athletic higher upside end of bench guys, even if they are more raw and maybe have a lower floor than a guy like Niang.

And if we go this route, I really don't see any way we can keep Mike. Plus I don't necessarily think he helps us that much. If all we are going to get is 2/3 of a season, and a hobbled playoffs, the money is better spent elsewhere. And as he ages the injury concerns will just get worse.

The focus really needs to be on raising our ceiling, even if it means we have a somewhat lower floor.

And I agree we really need a shake-up in the front office. I think they've played the slow and steady wins the race game far too long, and even when they make a move that could be a splash, they get us Conley, a nice guy but one who really didn't help us that much all things considered. The whole availability being the best ability thing really matters. But Conley was the safe choice, which fits our FO's MO.

The problem with that is the Jazz were already running a paper-thin rotation and they are likely losing their 3rd-best player. So they're going to have to find a way to dig out three rotation-quality players with **** draft capital, no cap space, and likely not even the full MLE.

I'm just a broken record. I have to do something else.
Ya that definitely wouldn't be running it back

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

It seems to me like the Jazz would be in a pretty good spot with a good stretch 4 that can play the 5. They can get rid of favors… with Joe at the 2 we get length back into the starting lineup and he takes pressure off of Mitchell. We go DM, Joe, Bogey, 4, and Rudy… JC and Royce off the bench.
I’m not sure why we didn’t try Irsan more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk