What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Dennis, at this point, has to be seen as just getting really lucky in drafting Rudy and Mitchell. Most every other decision or move has been complete garbage.

Two huge hits in Mitchell and Gobert have covered a multitude of sins and just plain dumbassery.
Grayson Allen was probably his 3rd best draftee. Not great.

I did like the suggestion of bringing back Neto. Yes having an nba player available to play every night... even though some nights you don’t need him is fairly valuable.

I agree with this. Only problem with Neto is it seems like every time we needed him most he would be unavailable. I swear every single time Rubio would get hurt and we would have rely on Neto he would immediately have a hamstring or calf injury.

“You probably would have missed 100% of the shots you didn’t take, so save your efforts and energy and keep the powder dry.”

-DL
DL confidently walks to the powder room... opens door.... “where the hell did the powder go!”

Announces he has been thinking of taking a step back into an advisory role...

First day as an advisor “I suggest we find some more powder”

I agree with this. Only problem with Neto is it seems like every time we needed him most he would be unavailable. I swear every single time Rubio would get hurt and we would have rely on Neto he would immediately have a hamstring or calf injury.
He’s been healthy last couple years.

I feel I'm in crazy land - are we really debating Neto like he's some major part of the solution to our issues at wing defense?

I'm happy to have him back, but jeez we gotta talk bigger.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
Oh he’s just an example of the issue... not sure he’s an answer we are truly discussing. We tried to develop the next Neto in NWG rather than keeping Raul. Neto is useful if we need to get Mike a night off and Joe a night off or if we have injuries (which every team will). But we refuse to keep those types around unless they are in the rotation... but you need those guys. Believe me if we come back from the offseason and our big FA addition is Neto I will be pissed.

Oh he’s just an example of the issue... not sure he’s an answer we are truly discussing. We tried to develop the next Neto in NWG rather than keeping Raul. Neto is useful if we need to get Mike a night off and Joe a night off or if we have injuries (which every team will). But we refuse to keep those types around unless they are in the rotation... but you need those guys. Believe me if we come back from the offseason and our big FA addition is Neto I will be pissed.
Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll get a Gordon Monson article saying “well, you all clamored for perimeter defenders and the FO delivered,” so it couldn’t be that bad.

This Batum news is next-level ****, man. I don’t know how anyone in the FO is left standing.
I’ve said for years they don’t make enough calls. It’s been visible but it’s nice that it’s also being reported now.

Again let’s follow this out to worst case... you sign Batum and give him Niangs minutes. He isn’t good... he’s washed... you cut him... Niang is still there.

Best case... well he’s not on the clips... he helps us be much more flexible and serves as that in between guy that allows us to play different defensive styles. He can make a play off the double team of Donovan and now it’s much tougher for them to go small.

DL didn’t have his number and didn’t want to bother Rudy (who I believe said he tried to recruit him). It likely still does not happen... he likely had the deal done before DL even thought to pick up a phone. I still would call the agent and offer BAE and maybe give him a second year option... remember the league decided he was washed... so maybe it’s appealing.

Anyone know if Christian Wood is available?
I don’t think so but I’d place a call. If they draft Mobley I’m not sure he’s gonna see that as good for him. I doubt we have what they’d want but they also passed on Caris Levert so they could take one year of a broken Victor Oladipo... so ya never never know.

Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll get a Gordon Monson article saying “well, you all clamored for perimeter defenders and the FO delivered,” so it couldn’t be that bad.
At the top of the list of perimeter defenders you’ll see Miye Oni and Trent Forrest... mission complete.

I’ve said for years they don’t make enough calls. It’s been visible but it’s nice that it’s also being reported now.

Again let’s follow this out to worst case... you sign Batum and give him Niangs minutes. He isn’t good... he’s washed... you cut him... Niang is still there.

Best case... well he’s not on the clips... he helps us be much more flexible and serves as that in between guy that allows us to play different defensive styles. He can make a play off the double team of Donovan and now it’s much tougher for them to go small.

DL didn’t have his number and didn’t want to bother Rudy (who I believe said he tried to recruit him). It likely still does not happen... he likely had the deal done before DL even thought to pick up a phone. I still would call the agent and offer BAE and maybe give him a second year option... remember the league decided he was washed... so maybe it’s appealing.

Here’s how it goes… DL doesn’t want to appear desperate. On King of the Hill, Boomhauer’s secret to landing ladies was volume and not success ratio. DL prides himself in success ratio than of deals rather than success by volume. It’s like Kyle Korver protecting his 3p% at the expense of winning. DL doesn’t want to have potential success at the risk of looking desperate. He’d rather get fired and keep his dignity.

It’s kind of a tough article to read... especially for those of us that see the obvious mistakes... state the mistakes they are making and then get called armchair GMs by the “lolz guis”.

They didn’t push for Batum. Something they regret. Pretty damn obvious we needed a wing... pretty damn obvious he would have been a good candidate if motivated... we also had the BAE which is not much more than the minimum but we had it available... now we aren’t sure of the Taxpayer MLE is enough (it likely is not enough as LA likely rolls it out to retain him). Tony says the front office shouldn’t be blamed for not pursuing him... I guess we are to blame? Maybe Obama? No reason was stated.

So the DL “is a lazy *** who is not aggressive or proactive” crowd gets a point.

Then he talks about how we need a point guard this season to help with wear and tear on Mike and Joe. Says they “unwittingly” burned Joe out in March and April playing him so many minutes at point guard. It’s crazy that the coaching staff and front office did this “unwittingly” when this board full of degenerates, morons, and mouf breathers very “wittingly” said this was a problem.

It really just sucks that we had a lot of the big stuff in place... we needed to do a few more obvious things and not make obvious mistakes and our season could have been extended. No idea if it means a title but we didn’t give ourselves the best shot we could and it wasn’t close. I think this is like the third or fourth time in the DL era that they didn’t fill obvious holes/needs and then regret it and the media is like “can’t blame them... how could they have known these obvious things would obviously happen... ain’t their fault”.
I've always had this feeling about local media in that you're almost not allowed to criticize ownership/front office for the Jazz. It has this feeling of "well you have a NBA team in your state and they don't completely suck so you aren't allowed to bad mouth them" Being as I've never lived outside of the state of Utah and don't really care for coving other teams closely I wonder what local media perception is to their respective teams.

Also, I was kinda thinking we’d have the FO reshuffling done by this week. Teams are hot and heavy into draft workouts and we need to add some sanity to that decision-making process.

And, well, if you think about it, Hughes is our big free agent acquisition this year. He couldn’t contribute last year cuz no training camp. But here he is again, ya know.
Hopefully we re-sign Burks too... it’s been a while since he was out big free agent addition.

I feel I'm in crazy land - are we really debating Neto like he's some major part of the solution to our issues at wing defense?

I'm happy to have him back, but jeez we gotta talk bigger.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Lol Kuzma isn’t that guy either man. You also are trying to bring him in at the expense of Bogey. Picks in the future don’t help us win now.

That’s a move we make if we aren’t trying to win now. We either need to go all the way the **** in or pivot off of Rudy and make trades like that.